• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 LTX DX Starting Problems

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Viper LTX
Well, I'm back to square one this year with my '17 LTX DX starting problems.
Last January I ordered a high performance battery from Dennis Kirk and it was backordered so I had to wait. It was the YUASA GYZ20-HA which is the 320CCA version of the YTX20H-BS that was already in my sled. I got by last year using a battery pack to jump my Viper in really cold weather. Once I got it running, it did seem to start fine, but then it sat all summer (yes, I know...my own fault for not pulling the battery and putting it on a tender). Dennis Kirk finally sent the GYZ20-HA after 8 months on backorder, even though I technically canceled the order. That's a whole other story. So anyway, I was gone out of state for work so it sat new in the box for another 4 months until a couple weeks ago when I had time to pull the sled out of my shed and did all my preseason work. I tried starting it with the original battery, and even though it cranked well it would not start. Even with the jump pack. So, I dragged it into the garage where it was warm and did all the work, new plugs, change oil, drain inspect and refill chain case, cleaned everything, put it all back together. I did get it to start on the original battery with the jump pack. I started it several times and ran it and everything worked well. I parked the Viper in the backyard where it sat for a few days. Yesterday I went back out to start it and move it into the trailer in anticipation of the snow we are supposed to get here in Minnesota. Even with the jump pack it would not start! It cranks good but it will not run. UGH. So, I put the GYZ20-HA in it, and THAT battery cranked for 5 seconds and DIED! WTF. So I bring it back to Dennis Kirk right up the road from me in Rush City, and they test it and determine it is a bad battery and return it, thankfully. While I was there...they said they could exchange it for a LiPo that has like 500CCA and is lighter and smaller. Although I'm still looking for another Lead Acid YTX20H-BS (they're nowhere to be found locally in stores right now), has anybody had any experience with a lithium starting battery? Also, why the hell does my Viper start so inconsistently? If I have to keep cranking on it like this, my damn starter is going to go out, and judging by the location of that thing, it's going to be a major headache. Yes, it's currently flashed. I checked last year with the dealer. What else can I check to make sure it will start consistently? It's a 2017 Viper LTX DX with around 2300 miles. It's just a baby yet!

Edit: I can hear the fuel pump prime when I cycle the key...so I have ruled that out as well.

Last edited:

Does it have fresh fuel or last years leftovers. Mine always starts like crap every fall till it has fresh fuel.

Only when it’s cold out it’s a problem? You pull it back in the garage over night will it start?
It does seem to be a problems when it's cold out, although I didn't think 30 degrees was too cold. But I supposed compared to the warm and dry garage it's a difference. I know last year it took FOREVER to start when it was bitterly cold out....like -10/15 degrees F. Looking into the rocstoyz sealed relays at the moment as I just found out that could be an issue as well.

Does it have fresh fuel or last years leftovers. Mine always starts like crap every fall till it has fresh fuel.
It doesn't start "hard", like sputtering or missing. I use only non oxy, non ethanol premium every year. It either cranks and starts normal, or cranks and doesn't start at all. When it is running it runs great.

It does seem to be a problems when it's cold out, although I didn't think 30 degrees was too cold. But I supposed compared to the warm and dry garage it's a difference. I know last year it took FOREVER to start when it was bitterly cold out....like -10/15 degrees F. Looking into the rocstoyz sealed relays at the moment as I just found out that could be an issue as well.
That’s what I was going to suggest. You could have a bad relay. And usually will only happen with colder temps.

It doesn't start "hard", like sputtering or missing. I use only non oxy, non ethanol premium every year. It either cranks and starts normal, or cranks and doesn't start at all. When it is running it runs great.
Have you tried just cracking the throttle open a small amount. Or try this works sometimes is to crank it 4 or 5 times. Then stop and turn off for the count of 10 and then Turn the key but don’t wait for the gauge to light.

Have you tried just cracking the throttle open a small amount. Or try this works sometimes is to crank it 4 or 5 times. Then stop and turn off for the count of 10 and then Turn the key but don’t wait for the gauge to light.
Sometimes when I hot start it I do blip the throttle and it seems to help. In this case when it's cold it hasn't made a difference though.

Contact BRS In canada, I just had a battery shipped. Snowtrax did a review on them. They are supposed to be good batteries

Back