• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 LTX-LE Center spring questions

Motorhead

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 SW LTX-LE
7C8E49D6-0FE2-4394-9C1B-5A23A7128A1F.jpeg
C399E1A9-A7EB-4F82-8520-96816A04F8BC.jpeg
23A373AF-8335-4D28-8A2C-7F2D63A5DF23.jpeg
452334AA-3BC8-4825-B5DE-51C8BA7A2334.jpeg
Did not want to invade other like thread on a 2021 Center spring, so here goes!

Have noticed lots of wear caused by the stock dual spring set up. The plastic slider piece in between the 2 springs causes a lot of wear on the shock body and threads. I have seen others with higher mileage with much deeper wear, and I know some have gone to a single spring. By looking at this set up and running it through it’s motion, one can see that the top spring compresses first and much more then the second heavier and longer spring!

So my question is, can I use the Stingray spring on this shock without causing more wear damage, not only to my shock body, but as some have mentioned, to the shock reservoir? I’ve seen on some older post where some have done this, and or looked into this spring. Clearance measurements between the spring and shock reservoir are much the same between the stock set up and with the Stingray spring!

Also wondering if it slows down the bottom shaft wear at all! At 8K this will be my 3rd bottom shaft counting the original one!

Pics attached for reference !

I have been running the Stingray spring in mine for 3 years without issue. After season 1 on my 18 winder I sent shocks out to cannondale for service, he recommended that spring due to wear in shock body from plastic collar. My brother upgraded to QS3R's on his 16 Viper LTX that same year and also has been running the stingray spring without issue. I would say between the 2 sleds we have over 10,000 miles set up this way.

I have a 180 spring in mine I felt the 160 was still too soft, no clearance issues. Cannondale gave me rubber bushings for the shaft wear instead of the stock plastic

Forgot to mention the shaft, upgrade to the ZR shaft or even better the BOP shaft. We installed the ZR set up a few years back and have not had any issues with wear.

Forgot to mention the shaft, upgrade to the ZR shaft or even better the BOP shaft. We installed the ZR set up a few years back and have not had any issues with wear.

Yes that is what I should have done this time around, but I forgot all about those shaft upgrades you mentioned!

I did install the Stingray after some testing and comparison on both the stock set up and the stingray!
My very primitive tests of actually putting the shock in the suspension, and manually bottoming the center shock many times, did not cause any damage on shock or reservoir. My thoughts are by observing during the tests, is that the shock body may or would show wear before the reservoir does! Shall check on it after my first couple of rides once the season starts!

I have a 180 spring in mine I felt the 160 was still too soft, no clearance issues. Cannondale gave me rubber bushings for the shaft wear instead of the stock plastic
Interesting! He does come with lot’s of practical experience with these models!

Bop cross shaft or the bdx shaft with wheels (have to look under cat) would be best options

Site sponsor Krause Kustom Design makes the lower center shock mount shaft.
KKD
I have one season on one and still looks like brand new.
Check out his site. He makes some pretty cool stuff.

Back