• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 Sidewinder VS 2018

kimoajaj

Expert
Hi guys!

Been quite a while since my last post on the forum, many many years actually. I left you when the Viper came. Been riding my good old Nytro 162" MCX 190 Skinz since, still runs like a champ after 9000km.

That being said, I have a feeling the Sidewinder is a good quality sled and therefor I am eventually considering doing the long awaited swap to a new Yamaha snowmobile, which by far is one of the most important things in life, so I am so excited about this ! ;)

Since I haven`t been paying attention to all the new stuff the last couple of years I wonder if anyone can tell me if there are any differences between the 2017 and 2018 Sidewinder MTX? (either 153 or 162)

I am mostly wondering if there are any quality-related upgrades from 2017 / 2018 ?

Sadly I have gotten older and somewhat grownup, bought a house etc. so the budget won`t allow buying a new one.

As it looks now it will either be a used 2017 MTX 162" or a used 2018 MTX 153" , any opinions on the track length?

I have always preferred climbing before tree riding, that being said I must admit that even though the Nytro handles much better with the skinz A-arms, challenger extreme track and WRP running boards, I still think I will be little more into tree riding with a sled that`s better suited for that type of riding.

The 162" comes with a 250hp flash and aftermarked exhaust (don`t know brand). The 153" is stock.

I would prefer Eric Marklunds MCX Stage 2, I have such good faith in Marklund.

Why does Erik deliver an extra MCX box with harness?
Other companies only flash the stock ecu and change the exhaust?

Sorry for asking stupid questions and the OT info but I need to get back on track on this.

For those who remembers me from back in the day, here`s a link to the add on the Norwegian advertisement site.
https://www.finn.no/mc/snowmobile/ad.html?finnkode=137703858
:4STroke:

Joakim, North of Norway

One significant change for the 2018 MTX, is they went with a drop and rolled chain case with larger drivers. It is a noticeable improvement in deep snow performance due to the better track approach angle.

As far as track length is concerned, it's person preference and I like 153" sleds better. That being said, if your going to bump up the horsepower then the 162" will be able to utilize the added power more!

I think the only thing significant is the drop and roll on the 18+. I am more trail then deep snow so I prefer my 17 the way it is. I only have 181 miles on mine so I need some seat time now!! Glad your back!

MC Xpress uses a piggy back box because they don't have the knowledge to update the original ECU. I would personally never use a piggy back box that fools the original ECU when there are software that uses the full potential of the stock ECU.

Aha OK I see!

How much of a difference is it with the dropped chain case?

I think I will go for an ECU flash then, seems like the the best solution and not having to worry about the piggy back box going bad.

I forgot about the running boards.
The dropped chain case helps make the front end feel lighter in deeper snow, as well as allowing the sled to get up on top of the snow better. The larger driver's improve drive train efficiency somewhat as well, although the Sidewinder has enough horsepower that it probably doesn't make a huge difference.
The changes for 2018 are primarily geared toward improving deep snow/mountain performance and handling.

Aha OK I see! Thanks for the replies! 2018 is the way to go then, think they look cooler too.

Just sent an e-mail to Erik at MCX and asked if the mapping of the MCX box needs to be different when running a cold air intake out of the hood on it.
Still have to get the Nytro sold tho.

Back