• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 MTX Sidewinder 162''X3'' is consistently BLOWING BELT !! HELP !!

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha Sidewinder MTX LE 50th
Hi everyone,

I've did a lot of research on this forum but I did not find what I really need, this is why i'm creating this post. The majority of guys on this forum with belt issues have trail sled. I just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing with my MTX. Here are the mods on the snowmobile :

- Turbo Dynamics tuned (MAX SPOOL 17)
- CAI
- 3 Bar map sensor
- TurboSmart BOV
- Dalton ajustable weight for the primary clutch
- Black/Orange Dalton spring for the secondary clutch
- Stock 8JP
- Stock helix, rollers on both clutches
- Sled rated at 285Hp

Since the sled is tuned, it blow belt almost every ride when I spool the turbo more than 15 seconds. The clutches became really hot. Guess there is a misalignment. I know the first step would be to buy the Hurricane Performance alignement tool.

My question is : What would you run for a MOUNTAIN SETUP ? (Helix? Springs on both clutches? Weights? Belt ? Roller ? What would be the belt adjustement (height).

I really like the sled but blowing belt is pissing me off.

Thanks in advance !

Damn that totally sucks. My sled and notes are in Colorado so I cant provide exact set up, but I have over 1k miles on my MTX all on original belt. If you don't have a local shop that tunes or builds mountain sleds I recommend you call LCC (Lincoln County Customs- PH..307-654-6637), in Alpine WY. Troy's built countless boosted Yamaha monsters over the years. he rides them and is one of the best builders and tuners left in the sport for mountain riders. LCC is where I take my sled for any build, mod or tune, and the first call I make diagnostic assistance. Only performance mods I have are EVO Stage 4 260 hp tune, EVO Bullet Exhaust, EVO Charge Tubes, and CR CAI. Not as much hp as you but clutching prolly close. At time of purchase I went with the Thunder Products Heavy Hitters that EVO recommended (Note: for sale maybe used 100 miles). Plus the EVO recommended springs and weight/rivets. I have since removed and went with a LCC set up that works much better for my riding applications.
I wont be near my sled or notes for couple weeks or I'd post it for ya.

Last edited:
Damn that totally sucks. My sled and notes are in Colorado so I cant provide exact set up, but I have over 1k miles on my MTX all on original belt. If you don't have a local shop that tunes or builds mountain sleds I recommend you call LCC (Lincoln County Customs- PH..307-654-6637), in Alpine WY. Troy's built countless boosted Yamaha monsters over the years. he rides them and is one of the best builders and tuners left in the sport for mountain riders. LCC is where I take my sled for any build, mod or tune, and the first call I make diagnostic assistance. Only performance mods I have are EVO Stage 4 260 hp tune, EVO Bullet Exhaust, EVO Charge Tubes, and CR CAI. Not as much hp as you but clutching prolly close. At time of purchase I went with the Thunder Products Heavy Hitters that EVO recommended (Note: for sale maybe used 100 miles). Plus the EVO recommended springs and weight/rivets. I have since removed and went with a LCC set up that works much better for my riding applications.
I wont be near my sled or notes for couple weeks or I'd post it for ya.

Thanks you very much for your input/time !

Here are a few things to check. Look at and feel the rollers on the secondary, do you see or feel flat spots. Mine had flat spots and the belt is wearing fast. Also check your primary rollers. You will need to remove one to look at it. The bushing in the roller pushes out, over a short time this will remove the hard surface off the weights and cause problems. 1080 miles on mine and both primary and secondary rollers were toast.
IMPORTANT NOTE when removing the rollers from the secondary DO NOT spin the motor backwards it will cause the timing chain to jump a tooth and it will destroy the motor if you run it.

Here are a few things to check. Look at and feel the rollers on the secondary, do you see or feel flat spots. Mine had flat spots and the belt is wearing fast. Also check your primary rollers. You will need to remove one to look at it. The bushing in the roller pushes out, over a short time this will remove the hard surface off the weights and cause problems. 1080 miles on mine and both primary and secondary rollers were toast.
IMPORTANT NOTE when removing the rollers from the secondary DO NOT spin the motor backwards it will cause the timing chain to jump a tooth and it will destroy the motor if you run it.

Hi, thanks for the input. Rollers on both clutches seem to be a parts of the problem. I do not have pictures right now but IMO those seem worn. Rollers on the primary have rust on them !? :O I guess the fix is to put the 14.8mm Thunder Product roller on the primary and TP on the secondary too. As for the HELIX, what MTX guys run ? Is 33/35 OK for our application ? I've read that stock helix suck on our SW.

Thanks again !

My setup for 2017 MTX 270 HIELE SS
Thunder Products Rollers Primary and Secondary 14.8mm in Primary
SSI Mag Weights loaded @87 gr
Drive Spring 2019 MTX Yamaha
Driven SpringDalton white @ 9-2
Dalton 39 Helix
911 Cover
Off set done with Hurricane tool and machined off 3mm
Hurricane Secondary Adjuster set with no float .
Mo-Flow 6 piece Vent Kit
Brake rotor splash guard (lots of water come off rotor ) .
Seal up lower body panel , mainly the big hole at upper A-arm mount .
Temps are good with setup
So far this is working , Don’t think I have ever held this pinned for 15 seconds , ( 8 to 10 seconds is along time from what data logging shows for Mtn riding .
But do ride hard on powder days

My setup for 2017 MTX 270 HIELE SS
Thunder Products Rollers Primary and Secondary 14.8mm in Primary
SSI Mag Weights loaded @87 gr
Drive Spring 2019 MTX Yamaha
Driven SpringDalton white @ 9-2
Dalton 39 Helix
911 Cover
Off set done with Hurricane tool and machined off 3mm
Hurricane Secondary Adjuster set with no float .
Mo-Flow 6 piece Vent Kit
Brake rotor splash guard (lots of water come off rotor ) .
Seal up lower body panel , mainly the big hole at upper A-arm mount .
Temps are good with setup
So far this is working , Don’t think I have ever held this pinned for 15 seconds , ( 8 to 10 seconds is along time from what data logging shows for Mtn riding .
But do ride hard on powder days

Thanks a lot for sharing ! That will be my baseline for testing ! Have a good day sir !

My setup for 2020 MTX 153, 240-270-300 Hurricane SS
Thunder Products Heavy Hitters @79gr
Drive Spring Thunder Products Orange
Driven Spring Thunder Products Orange @3-2
Dalton 39/33 Helix
So far this works at 50 km without any problems with the belt.

Dalton 39/33 Helix

Thanks for your input !

Dalton 39/33 Helix
It should be 500km.

Hi,

Here is the input after some change on my clutch setup. Actually, the sled DO NOT blow belt anymore. Thanks for the help of everyone above and other posts on this forum. Here is my final MTX setup for the clutches :

- Start with Hurricane Performance alignement tool, milled the secondary shaft 3mm off
- TP 911 cover
- Glide washer
- Dalton complete clutch kit primary & secondary spring
- TP 14.8mm rollers on the primary
- Dalton 39 degres Helix
- Heavy duty rollers on the secondary from Hi-Torque clutch rollers (Sold on TD website)
- Turbo Dynamics adjuster, milled to remove the float on the secondary
- For now, I use 8DN belt, adjusted perfectly with the TD tool.

I've broked in this new setup for 100km then i've tried it WOT. The clutch are really really colder. I can put my hands on them with burning myself like before this setup.

Thanks everyone for your help !

Back