• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 Viper Starting Issues Already???

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha Viper RTX
2018 Yamaha Viper RTX - Wife's Sled
I recently bought a new leftover 2018 Viper RTX SE in August. Went to move it to a buddy's shop today to hopefully stud the sled this week sometime. Anyways, went to start it, wouldn't go first key cycle. Let it sit, a minute, let fuel pump prime again, it started. Ok. Loaded it onto the trailer and took it to my buddy's shop. It sat outside on the trailer for a good 2 hours, went to start it and unload it and first key cycle after letting fuel pump prime, won't go. Second time wouldn't go and backfired. Third time it started right up. Rode it into the shop and after about 30 minutes tried starting again and it wouldn't go on first start again. Started after second time. I don't understand how a sled with 0 miles and less than 1 hour of run time starts THIS bad when it's 50 degrees out. Battery tender was not on machine, but planning on purchasing that this week. Just want to see what thoughts are on this. If it starts rough again this week I'll take it in and see what the dealer has to say? I guess that's what warranty is for....

Damn that sucks. It sure makes you feel sick when you have a brand new machine and this happens. You should not have to deal with problems like this when you throw down that a bunch of cash for a new sled. I bought a left over '16 cat back in march and I told the wife if I have a problem with it the first trip I go on I'm selling it because my whole reason for buying a new sled was to not have any problems with it for awhile.

I would not be certain you have an ecu/program issue until you have fresh fuel in it....
Modern fuel breaks down in 3 weeks I have read so let’s hope you may just have old bad fuel.
Stabilizers reduce varnishing not sure on preserving light chain hydrocarbons in fuel needed for starting.
I have a 2015 never flashed and doesn’t start instantly like my Vectors or Apex but always starts......

Wouldn't know if it's current on all flashes. Yeah, got it with less than a 1/4 tank when I picked it up August 11, guessing it was 87 with ethanol... Was planning on filling it up with 93 when I finish studding it this week and purchase my battery tender. Hopefully that'll fix it. Regardless it has to go back to dealer in November to fix ski alignment and align the track since they decided not to do this when I purchased the sled.

Damn that sucks. It sure makes you feel sick when you have a brand new machine and this happens. You should not have to deal with problems like this when you throw down that a bunch of cash for a new sled. I bought a left over '16 cat back in march and I told the wife if I have a problem with it the first trip I go on I'm selling it because my whole reason for buying a new sled was to not have any problems with it for awhile.
Yep, it'll eventually start, hopefully was because of older fuel and might not have helped that fuel light came on as well. But either way should still have enough fuel to move 20 feet.

My thoughts exactly. If this winter does not go well it'll be sold and I'll go to a different brand. I upgraded from a 97 that started 1st pull all day long. Finally upgraded then deal with this, hopefully it's a fluke thing.

I’ve found if you start and stop theses machines without letting them warm up they will foul plugs and will have problems. Always let it warm up before shutting down and I think you’ll be ok. Probably need new plugs at this point.

I’ve found if you start and stop theses machines without letting them warm up they will foul plugs and will have problems. Always let it warm up before shutting down and I think you’ll be ok. Probably need new plugs at this point.
You really think plugs would be fouled after 4 starts?? Sled is new with 0 miles and less than 1 hour on the motor. From what I've ready sounds like a relay could've froze up when I trailered it. But who knows.

Also, when moving the sled and putting it on the trailer always let the sleds warm up for 5 minutes or so, get the coolant temp over 160 degrees.

ViperBill is correct. It can happen if it's been started and shut down a bunch of times without letting it warm up. As a general rule it's not good for engines to be restarted multiple times without reaching proper operating temp.
I usually will let it run until it reaches operating temperature, this will help prevent plug fouling as well as condensation build up in the engine. It doesn't take long to warm up, usually less then 10 minutes.

ViperBill is correct. It can happen if it's been started and shut down a bunch of times without letting it warm up. As a general rule it's not good for engines to be restarted multiple times without reaching proper operating temp.
I usually will let it run until it reaches operating temperature, this will help prevent plug fouling as well as condensation build up in the engine. It doesn't take long to warm up, usually less then 10 minutes.
Yep, just posted that I always let sled warm up for at least 5 minutes before moving it anywhere. This is the first time this has happened. But if it continues I'm guessing I'd be looking at changing plugs? I usually let coolant temp get over 160 degrees before moving the sled.

Yup rx-1's could foul plugs on less than 4 startup shut downs and you could not clean them they were done these are not as bad but bad fuel and start shut downs will kill them the backfires are a normal part of that

Yup rx-1's could foul plugs on less than 4 startup shut downs and you could not clean them they were done these are not as bad but bad fuel and start shut downs will kill them the backfires are a normal part of that
What plugs you normally replace them on a viper? Stick with Yamaha or NGK CR9E plugs?

I currently am running the direct cross over to the CR9E in Bosch 4 electrode Bosch Platinum+4 Spark Plug 4417 Resistor Spark Plug - Copper Electrode Core Electrode Core, Platinum Electode Tip Electrode Tip,

I seem to have less cold start issues I did go hotter to the 10's but they did not run as well when running 110 octane at low cruise rpms had a lot of trouble clearing the motor and ran rough.

Back