• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 Yamaha Sidewinder MTX 153 Gearing

Yaahoo

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX 137
So looks like I need to change my gears. 300HP use this for trails and just running out of top end too quick. 93 mph. I know I will have to change chain too. Was hoping someone knew what gears I should Use to get some more top end. Machine has stock gears in it now with 2.5 power claw track. Love the pull but for riding trails I need more top end. Not sure what gears to put in? Any advice or pouting me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

So looks like I need to change my gears. 300HP use this for trails and just running out of top end too quick. 93 mph. I know I will have to change chain too. Was hoping someone knew what gears I should Use to get some more top end. Machine has stock gears in it now with 2.5 power claw track. Love the pull but for riding trails I need more top end. Not sure what gears to put in? Any advice or pouting me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

this is a good tool here for figuring out where your gearing/clutching needs to be to achieve 1:1 ratio which is when the clutches are running the most efficient

https://www.ibackshift.com/calculator

I’m curious about this as well. 270hp tune 153” w/3” lug only reaching 87mph. Thanks for the calculator links this will help!

So I went with Scott Taylor Racing. 22 top gear and 43 bottom gear. Haven’t tested yet

So I went with Scott Taylor Racing. 22 top gear and 43 bottom gear. Haven’t tested yet
Good choice with Scott Taylor!!
Awsome you found a set up for dropped and roll
Please post your results

Yes finally!! Man I can’t believe there really is no info online for the drop and rolled case. I will post some updates and results when I get some testing in next weekend.

Yes finally!! Man I can’t believe there really is no info online for the drop and rolled case. I will post some updates and results when I get some testing in next weekend.
Yes I think most guys running mountains prefer low gears!!!
Your info will be great for others in future!!!
I like your determination buddy!!!

Thanks I know must normal people don’t buy a mountain sled and turn it into a trail burner! Lucky me. I can say this sled with the stock gear and the Hurricane 300hp smoked a lot of people with their sleds! It pulled harder than anything else. I have had some Fast sleds. Good thing there was no long runs cause top speed was 91 mph and a 600 could of gone by me Eventually. Lol.

Last edited:
Thanks I know must normal people don’t buy a mountain sled and turn it into a trail burner! Lucky me. I can say this sled with the stock gear and the Hurricane 300hp smoked a lot of people with their sleds! It pulled harder than anything else and I have had some sleds. Good thing there was no long runs cause top speed was 91 mph and a 600 could of gone by me Eventually. Lol.
I could imagine the power on that beast must totally rip you arms off!!lol

Thanks I know must normal people don’t buy a mountain sled and turn it into a trail burner! Lucky me. I can say this sled with the stock gear and the Hurricane 300hp smoked a lot of people with their sleds! It pulled harder than anything else and I have had some sleds. Good thing there was no long runs cause top speed was 91 mph and a 600 could of gone by me Eventually. Lol.
Any thoughts of getting rid of that 2.5" power claw? That is your next big hurdle in the speed game.

I have one more trip coming up next weekend and then I will sell the track if your interested? I will let you know the condition and give you a smoking deal. Track is mint as of now.

Back