• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020-2021 season, Sidewinder testing and racing. Hit my goal of 140+mph

Just a little add-on here....

Purchased another SW and already have the sled changed from stock form to everything EVO as mentioned in the above post. Now we will have the 2 SW's running next to each other to see how they compare on asphalt and this winter.

How’s that tar comparison going with header and comparing the two?

How’s that tar comparison going with header and comparing the two?

Hi bud! (I just messaged you on FB), but will fill in what I have been doing on asphalt lately.

Just to update everyone, the June race was canceled due to very bad weather.

We raced July 10th (this past weekend) and didn't run the White/Blue Sidewinder, but did run the Black/Orange Sidewinder. This is because of issues with my son not being there to race the Blue/White Sidewinder.

Awinder.jpg
Awinder1.jpg

So, the White/Blue Sidewinder had been running 5.80's to 5.90's with the EVO setup before the Hurricane install. Now, the sled is running 6.10's to 6.20's this year with decent 60 foot times.

This Black and Orange SW is hunting for traction yet and running 6.10's, but horrible 60 foots. (To those that don't understand the 60 foot timer, that pretty much means everything on a start of a run and a slow 60 foot can slow you down tremendously in 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile passes. July 10th, the B/O SW was running 1.530 60 foots. This is .7 slower than what the W/B SW is currently running at 1.45-1.46

With that said, when you gain .7 in the 60 foot, it doubles that time and gets you to the finish line quicker. Doing the math, 6.10 - .14 = 5.96 ET. The B/O SW with the exact same EVO stage 4 tune with stock airbox is almost right back to where the W/B SW was running previously with the EVO tune. My goal is to get both sleds way quicker and be totally consistent. The B/O SW needs some suspension tuning yet and because of a lot of downtime from the cars that were testing....we only made 1 adjustment which was not enough time.

The W/B SW is getting the header put on this month and will be racing August 6th and 7th. Currently the W/B SW is at Hurricane 300 horse, cold air intake, straight thru exhaust, EVO blow off valve.

Just going to say this... Every tune out there is a great tune. I have Hurricane, Precision EFI, EVO (which doesn't do tunes for snowmobiles anymore....sucks cause I know I really love my Stage 4), Turbo Dynamics and have worked on sleds that have custom LINK systems. They are all great tunes and each one has their own characteristics. But I will say this (and this was brought up when the sidewinder tunes came out) I was doing the testing for EVO, my W/B SW sled was the sled the tunes were made and tested. When I ran my W/B SW next to other tunes, the sled stayed right with the big horse tunes and even pulled away at times. Because the advertised hpr was only 265 from EVO, in reality....the other tune at 300 should have run away from my sled like a scared rabbit....it didn't happen that way and in most cases was just the opposite. I was called a liar and even looked down on from some people when I told them the results. But, I cannot make this stuff up and now that I can show the proof through time-slips and testing, I will report it.

Thunder Products Clutching has always tested sleds with every tune since the Winder/Thundercat came out. And when we think we are done....we test some more. Asphalt, grass, snow, ice, off trail and on trail. When you have to add or take away weight from a tune to reach peak rpm, that should tell you something right there. We have all these tunes so we can have our testing done for you and can ship weights to you all setup as close as possible. Yes, weight, rider style, different exhaust, gearing, different track lengths and depths play a factor. How about the brand of oil and how many miles the sleds have? Yes, everything plays or becomes a factor when tuning sleds.

Get your boost leaks fixed and the 300 will work like it should and run away and hide from the lower HP tunes, until then it will not be any faster. Ask me how I know, I struggled with it for many seasons. The boost leak detector will NOT tell the story!

Get your boost leaks fixed and the 300 will work like it should and run away and hide from the lower HP tunes, until then it will not be any faster. Ask me how I know, I struggled with it for many seasons. The boost leak detector will NOT tell the story!
Data Logging tell the story?

Data Logging tell the story?

No, boost showed fine on the logging albeit a bit spiking up and down some. Even a boost leak check didn't show the issue when checking things at room temp.

Where were your boost leaks Mike?

Behind the throttle bodies. They leaked when warmed up to operating temps. The stock clamps with the stock spacers don't seem to hold the pressure well enough, so the turbo was working overtime heating the crap out of the intake air robbing the power away. I'm faster now on 270 than I ever was before on the 300 with the throttle body boots leaking. Cutting the 6 spacers in half worked wonders.

I can attest to boost leaks being a power killer my asphalt viper suffered for a couple of years with intake and exhaust leaks once fixed it was a completely different animal

No, boost showed fine on the logging albeit a bit spiking up and down some. Even a boost leak check didn't show the issue when checking things at room temp.

Behind the throttle bodies. They leaked when warmed up to operating temps. The stock clamps with the stock spacers don't seem to hold the pressure well enough, so the turbo was working overtime heating the crap out of the intake air robbing the power away. I'm faster now on 270 than I ever was before on the 300 with the throttle body boots leaking. Cutting the 6 spacers in half worked wonders.
The spacers on the stock clamps were cut down a year ago because of an issue BlueByYou2000 and I talked about.

From what I see, there are no boost leaks..... unless I have an issue with my intake, blow off valve or i-cooler....I don't see issues.

The White/Blue SW was only changed from winter to summer and this was the sled that this post was created.

Will be running all the sleds this Friday and have gone all through the sleds meticulously. See what happens....

That big turbo sled with a speed track was only going full throttle half track or less due to unsafe shutdown for those speeds. But I do agree a full bodied trail ready sled at similar power was only 135 ish and it was ice but not good ice.

You should really come out next year and join the fun.
4th lake weenie roast?

Was rpm fine also? I’m battling something similar and thinking that’s it myself

Back