1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 Front end

Discussion in 'SideWinder Trail Talk' started by putz21, Jul 5, 2019.

1. putz21

putz21 VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2014 Yamaha SR Viper LTX SE
    I got the new 2020 parts for the front end and put them on. It was good timing as I had my shocks already off to be rebuilt.

Looking forward to see what type of improvement this may make as already liked the front end.

Front end 2.JPG front end 1.JPG

Joe ltx-le, VX1R, Pstn head and 3 others like this.
  3. allyammies

allyammies TY 4 Stroke Junkie

Thats great I was thinking of doing the same. What was the cost of doing this? Looks good too!

4. Farmer 73

Farmer 73 Expert

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2010 NYTRO RTX SE, 2012 VECTOR, 2001 SXR 600, 2001 PHAZER, 2000 PHAZER, 1983 ENTICER EXCELL III
    2020 front end parts are already available to the public as a direct bolt on?

5. putz21

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Parts were about $580 and powder coating was $120.

AnythingButLast and ROCKERDAN like this.
  6. Farmer 73

Farmer 73 Expert

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2010 NYTRO RTX SE, 2012 VECTOR, 2001 SXR 600, 2001 PHAZER, 2000 PHAZER, 1983 ENTICER EXCELL III
    I believe, after watching how the 2019 cat racer compared to the 2018 this past year, that this new front end will be significantly better. they seemed to turn better and stay flatter in the curves and bumps! On a side note I heard Cat will not have a new race sled for 2019/2020. Also No factory team. The big privateer teams like Woodys and Christian Bros will be running the 2018/2019 sled.

7. 1nc 2000

1nc 2000 TY 4 Stroke Guru

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Yamaha FX Nytro RTX SE
    What parts are required to make the upgrade to 2020 specs?

8. cannondale27

cannondale27 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Vendor Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

I worry about the extra leverage that will be put on upper arm mounts since both mine cracked bulkhead with old arms which are shorter below lower arm. Also this has to effect the rear suspension also. No differently than having dollies under the skis. Maybe all this was accounted for with the new sleds? Maybe not. Sure interests me too if it works well.

9. hellflyer

hellflyer VIP Member VIP Member

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    16 viper LTX le
    I ordered a 2020 sidwinder and was wondering if they allowed for the longer spindles somewhere, like relocated the rear suspension mounting locations or something? Watching videos they seem to still lift the skis. Otherwise your just driving the skis 1" deeper in the snow

cannondale27 likes this.
  10. ROCKERDAN

ROCKERDAN OCD Sledhead VIP Member

Other
    Snowmobile:
    '18 RTX 50th "Winder"
    The reviews from all the magazines were very good. Many saying they were shocked how much it improved the ride. One even wrote that the Tuner ski's work far better then they did with old front end.

Will be a nice evolution for this chassie IMO.

Dan

11. NYTurbo

NYTurbo TY 4 Stroke Junkie

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    Sidewinder
    I thought I heard they changed something with the rear suspension as well to coincide with the front end .

12. Pstn head

Pstn head VIP Member VIP Member

Are the lower “A” arms needed as well or will the old ones work ?

13. cannondale27

cannondale27 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Vendor Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

I agree in loose snow you are just driving skis deeper but what about set up trails or ice? It’s crazy what effect on rear lifting skis has. How many times have people thought their rear shocks were shot since sled collapsed in back only to find out they had dollies under skis! Then again we are never riding on level surface anyway and track inertia is huge also when moving. Only way to know how it works is to ride it!

14. hellflyer

hellflyer VIP Member VIP Member

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    16 viper LTX le
    Agreed! Must be some different geometry going on! Have to take measurements on the new set up. Wonder if the the skid is mounted lower in the front to even things out?

cannondale27 likes this.
  15. putz21

USA
    Snowmobile:
    The lower A arms are not new. They only changed the upper A arms.

74Nitro and Pstn head like this.
  16. hibshman25

hibshman25 Vendor Vendor VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2017 sidewinder ltx dx
    2018 snoscoot
    So did you order cat parts of yamaha? What part number for spindles? Shocked if yamaha has parts fich out already for the 20’s. Need to get my hands on new spindles to start working on some MPS arm to fit.