• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 Snow Flap Install

sab2022

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder S-TX GT
2020 Sidewinder S-TX GT Touring

Appreciate any opinions on how to install an OEM snow flap accessory on this sled (newbie but not a powersport newbie). I looked at the IPB. The real panel is removed to expose the flap rivets. The problem is the rear panel won't come off. I've removed about 10 screws and the rear taillight. I believe it's now held in place by tape or a waterproof seal along the deck??? Its difficult because everything is plastic. Maybe a putty knife along the seam and deck... the panel even w/ screws removed is real tight and not loose at all... there a u-shaped seam to break ???

This shows the rear panel the best and the screw holes
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/snowmobile/2020/sidewinder-s-tx-gt-sw1nslr/taillight

Thanks

upload_2020-9-11_17-8-1.png

looking rear where 10 screws were removed
upload_2020-9-11_17-12-38.png

white circle shows the flap rivet I need to expose (4 typical)
upload_2020-9-11_17-19-44.png

rear of sled - Here you see the real panel seam and the far left rivet

upload_2020-9-11_17-23-21.png

The OEM Yamaha snow flap for install (I think I going to use SS nuts washers and screws vice rivets)

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-11_17-10-46.png
    upload_2020-9-11_17-10-46.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 95

From what I can tell in your photos is that you would like to install a red accessory snow flap. The snow flap in the picture will not fit your STX 146" track model sled. The snow flap you have purchased will only fit the other models without the touring setup. The chassis is completely different from other models. Look at parts fiche for the break down of you sled. I own both types of chassis and when side by side they are totally different.

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure the flap is for my sled (Yamaha P/N fulfillment), BUT I don't know anything until I can remove that Cover P/N: 8LN-F172W-00-00, item #8 (i.e. the rear panel) and get access to the flap rivet heads. Either it needs a special tool, or the L/R storage boxes and side panels (#3 and #4) all have to come off to allow the Cover to be removed (all one grooved plastic assembly).

upload_2020-9-11_20-37-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-11_20-7-49.png
    upload_2020-9-11_20-7-49.png
    544.9 KB · Views: 108
Thanks for the discussion and pictures, at some point in sure the snowflap will crack and need replacing. I have the same machine and will take a look at it...seems to me it should be straightforward to replace..maybe there is some silicone or such keeping it together, from vibrating..just a guess. Joe

The snow flap you have mounts to the bumper and the tunnel. The one on your sled mounts to the tunnel only. Keep looking through the parts fiche for both sled frames. Look at the Viper STX DX 137 , 2017 and the Viper STX DX 146, 2017. Look at the frame sections and you will see how big a difference there is between the two chassis. I have a 2018 SR Venture DX which is the same as your

Handy - yes below is your 2018 SR Venture DX bumper IPB. Your correct the sleds are similar, and I'd bet the snow flap is applicable to many models. However the fact remains, 2 of the 4 rivets to my flap are under Cover #8, and I can't remove it w/o breaking something.

Joe - I agree, I believe that compartment is waterproof both along the bottom and the sides. If "we all" look close at the deck under the side covers you can see portions of that sticky both sides foam insulation.

I wonder what the dealer does to install this flap. There were no instructions or hardware with the OEM flap which probably means one size fits all (generic). I can imagine everything shown in figure below is assembled (snapped together) first including the bumper, cover and side panels and then screwed to the deck

I'm going to try some-other things but in a couple of days, I'm just going to reinstall the cover hardware I removed and set the Red snow flap aside and move on ....

Maybe I should just duct tape the red flap to the original black flap and be done :)

upload_2020-9-12_12-20-59.png

I did it! Removed the cover, I got angry. Everything I said above was a lie. I missed two screws at the extreme cover top. I hit with a rubber hammer and it seemed to be stuck at the very top and when I looked closed at the very top there two more screws. Once those screws were removed I wiggled it lose with the hammer. All my fault for those screws.

Looking at the IPB just above, you need to remove 10 (#11) screws plus 1 (#6) screw and the 2 taillight screws. ALSO behind the taillight there is a nut.

In the top figure below is the cover you should count 10 screw holes. In the bottom figure is looking forward were the cover was

Joe - not sure what that rubber hold down strap is for at the Tail light?

Handy - the tunnel rivets lined up w/ the flap - see second photo. I'm going to use SS screws, nuts and lock-washers for the install

I'll post a picture with the flap installed

upload_2020-9-12_14-39-13.png

upload_2020-9-12_14-50-22.png

The snow flap you have mounts to the bumper and the tunnel. The one on your sled mounts to the tunnel only. Keep looking through the parts fiche for both sled frames. Look at the Viper STX DX 137 , 2017 and the Viper STX DX 146, 2017. Look at the frame sections and you will see how big a difference there is between the two chassis. I have a 2018 SR Venture DX which is the same as your Sidewinder.

Good to know. The red snow flap is better looking than the original. Post a picture when it's installed.

I did it! Removed the cover, I got angry. Everything I said above was a lie. I missed two screws at the extreme cover top. I hit with a rubber hammer and it seemed to be stuck at the very top and when I looked closed at the very top there two more screws. Once those screws were removed I wiggled it lose with the hammer. All my fault for those screws.

Looking at the IPB just above, you need to remove 10 (#11) screws plus 1 (#6) screw and the 2 taillight screws. ALSO behind the taillight there is a nut.

In the top figure below is the cover you should count 10 screw holes. In the bottom figure is looking forward were the cover was

Joe - not sure what that rubber hold down strap is for at the Tail light?

Handy - the tunnel rivets lined up w/ the flap - see second photo. I'm going to use SS screws, nuts and lock-washers for the install

I'll post a picture with the flap installed

View attachment 156228

View attachment 156229
awesome you got it!! I just guessed at silicone sealer...Oh, by the way, just ordered some new parts for my sled. Barn of Parts is sending a ride lite, tunnel hose protectors, chain case protector, belt adjuster, rear cooling protector, oil tank gasket. Rev It Up Sports in Rangeley is going to install studs up the center, mirrors, attach the GPS and maybe, just maybe Electric Power Steering if their's anything left in the budget. With any luck the trails will be open Dec15th so we can try out our pimped out rides lol. Great pictures and visuals you posted...looking forward to seeing it all installed. Joe

Snow flap status - I removed the 4 rivets but there are two more rivets on the L/R side of the flap. I'll call these areas the "wings" of the original snow flap. The wings go up underneath the frame and are riveted. Hoping to cut the end of, what I believe is the rivet end, w/ an oscillating tool and punch it through the frame in order to remove the flap. The new OEM red accessory flap just tucks into the frame w/o the rivets. Waiting for son to bring the oscillating tool

Joe - very nice with the updates. I've been concentrating on mostly stuff like Front grab Bar, Duraflex Scratchers, PowereMadd guards, Precision Belly Pan, Skid, Lift, etc., and a list of other stuff that looks nice and for maintenance. Each install has a story like the flap. However, like you I'm turning my attention to BOP parts and most of those you list and some you didn't list (driveshaft saver - 2021). Also like to know when your changing your ski's. Good luck with Rangeley - that's good to know, but maybe not this year for me. Keep in touch I think I have your email.

Snow flap status - I removed the 4 rivets but there are two more rivets on the L/R side of the flap. I'll call these areas the "wings" of the original snow flap. The wings go up underneath the frame and are riveted. Hoping to cut the end of, what I believe is the rivet end, w/ an oscillating tool and punch it through the frame in order to remove the flap. The new OEM red accessory flap just tucks into the frame w/o the rivets. Waiting for son to bring the oscillating tool

Joe - very nice with the updates. I've been concentrating on mostly stuff like Front grab Bar, Duraflex Scratchers, PowereMadd guards, Precision Belly Pan, Skid, Lift, etc., and a list of other stuff that looks nice and for maintenance. Each install has a story like the flap. However, like you I'm turning my attention to BOP parts and most of those you list and some you didn't list (driveshaft saver - 2021). Also like to know when your changing your ski's. Good luck with Rangeley - that's good to know, but maybe not this year for me. Keep in touch I think I have your email.
yes I chatted withTravis at BOP for a short while and I got his opinion on things I should have, he did mention the drive shaft saver but I will wait till have the chain case opened again. From what I understand the MPS he has designed is very good and I may get one if I can't swing the EPS...I have tendonitis flareups from over use so EPS is probably best for me ... Oh, by the way, I would definitely order the oil tank gasket from BOP...when I had my 500 mile service the oil tank leaked with the product the dealership was using...it was concerning when you don't get your sled back for 70+ days because it just wouldn't seal up...I've mentioned it on this sight and got allot of good feedback as to the problem...I want to avoid this from happening again and a $30 gasket is worth allot more than loosing my sled for any amount of time...just a heads up !!! BOP is such a great resource for us Yamaha owners. Joe

Last edited:
You don’t need to open the chain case to install the BOB wedge. It goes in the other end of shaft by the brake rotor. Better to install before to many miles and bearing damages shaft IMHO.

thanks yamajon, thats how much I know meaning I don't know one end of the shaft from the other...ok no jokes lol. My sled has a 4 year warranty and if the shaft goes they replace it...if I modify it then there goes my warranty in all probability.
What I'm wondering now is if I should go with the GSE electric power steering or go with the BOP mechanical power steering...big difference in price...I want to go on long rides but at the end of the day I'm reminded of elbow tendonitis..anyones experience in the 2 power steering units would be appreciated. Joe

thanks yamajon, thats how much I know meaning I don't know one end of the shaft from the other...ok no jokes lol. My sled has a 4 year warranty and if the shaft goes they replace it...if I modify it then there goes my warranty in all probability.
What I'm wondering now is if I should go with the GSE electric power steering or go with the BOP mechanical power steering...big difference in price...I want to go on long rides but at the end of the day I'm reminded of elbow tendonitis..anyones experience in the 2 power steering units would be appreciated. Joe

Check out snowstuds.com for their double down runners if you have single runner skis.
They make a sled steer easier.
I am going to get a set for my slp mohawks.

Back