• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 Viper hard starting

rb2001srx700

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2001 SRX 700
I was wondering if anyone knew why these sleds start so hard and have any tricks to help them. Mine can cranks over for up to if not more then 30 seconds and not start. Shut off key then try again and it pops/backfires hard. Even when its warmed up it still starts hard. Takes multiple tries. Being the sled has 6 miles on it I would not think it should have that issue.
1) has plenty of gas
2) battery is charged
3) turn key and let fuel pump prime before trying to start. Not sure if that is right. But my in laws have a 2015 vector no issues starting at all.

Thanks for the help guys

Is it last years gas in it? If so ,empty tank and add fresh fuel. If that does not work change the spark plugs.Start simple and go from there.

Good gas. Just doesn't seem right to change plugs that are brand new? But weirder things have happened

I don’t know if this helps but try cycling key on then off then back on.

YES on a four stroke plugs can foul out if sled is started and not fully warmed and shut off and then restarted. could of happened during dealer prep. If that is not the case,I would assume your still under warranty.

Funny thing is my Father in law has the GT model 2020 and does the same thing. Could there be something they missed during the prep? And the sled runs strong. I don't think it would be a bad plug. Plenty of pep. Or do these four strokes run even with a foul plug. I would think they would be like a motorcycle and run like crap. First 4 stroke so I could be wrong. Anyone else have a 2020 and having this issue? Thanks for the replies guys. I will contact my dealer and ask him about the plugs. Also I run 91 non ethinol could that cause issues. To use to the 01 srx running that. Hard habit to break.

From what I understand Vipers have been having these issues since 2014. There has been a few ecu flashes under warranty as a result but it doesn’t look like the problem was completely solved. The new ecu flash topic at the top of the SR Viper talk page has all the info. Not saying that’s the issue but worth consideration.

Vipers definitely have a history when it comes to cold starts, and even warm starts, but it seems that most of those issues have been resolved by the various flashes that have been developed. Presumably a 2020 is going to have the most up to date flash. Did you use it last year, or if it is new to you, did the dealer/prior owner have gas in it last year? Even if you think the gas is good, with ethanol, it can go bad. I never had a problem until this year when my 2016 suddenly developed starting issues. I had treated the gas last spring, but apparently it went bad, and I had clogged injectors. New plugs and new gas were no help, with new injectors it starts right up.

There are lots of true experts on this site, and they may be able to help you. I am no chemist or mechanic, but from reading on this forum, apparently sleds start harder on higher octanes in cold weather. I have also read here, and I follow this advice religiously, "count to 3" when turning them over, and then try it again. It may take 2-3 tries. If you are cranking for 30 seconds plus, I wonder if that might not be the cause of your "pop/backfire"? I know some people on this forum in the past have been quite annoyed by the fact that they had to crank their sleds over 2-3 times before they started, but it has never bothered me.

Mine has the latest flash, and doesn't like to restart when warm. More than half the time I have to try twice. They seem to have eliminated the nasty backfire though. I would never crank any sled for 30 seconds!

Yep. Pull the kill switch, turn the key until the gauges come on then turn the key and it starts right up.
I wonder if the battery is being effected from me not using the kill switch. I always keep in the on position. Maybe the sled is drawing juice that way....

I wonder if the battery is being effected from me not using the kill switch. I always keep in the on position. Maybe the sled is drawing juice that way....
I never use the kill switch. This is the second 1049cc for me, and I've only ever used the key. I could be doing it wrong, but it works for me...

My 17 was doing the same thing if it was warm. Sometimes it would sputter when getting on the throttle but most of the time it was fine. It is under warranty still so I took it to the dealer. They said the exhaust valves were extremely tight. It seems better but I haven't had a chance to really ride it yet. It's a big job doing the valves on these things so hopefully you have a good dealer near you.

Back