• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 viper Radiator

Brad389

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 ltx le
Something Yamaha did mention about the 2020 viper. The rad doesn't have the snow/ ice guard like my 2 previous, so roost from other sleds flatten the fins making the engine run hot. It wasn't covered under warranty but my dealer sold me a new rad at cost. I made a metal screen and installed. Check you rad!!

Apparently not? I asked and my dealer said no. With the new body style it won't fit?? so I was told. I made my own that fits up in the shroud. Either way a guard should be installed
I have a 2020 Viper that I'd like to make a radiator guard for as well. What did you make it out of and can you post a picture please?
Thanks
Rod

Im having issues uploading. Says my file is to big? Will have to try again tomorrow with new pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 195
I have a 2020 Viper that I'd like to make a radiator guard for as well. What did you make it out of and can you post a picture please?
Thanks
Rod

2020 viper uses exact same radiator part number as a 2014. The shrouds are also the exact same part number. Even if you install the guard on the radiator, the overall dimensions of the assembly are not increased so I'm having a hard time seeing why this will not fit. Yamaha part number is : 8JP-E240J-01-00. I do have a used one here if someone doesn't have skills or time to fabricate something.

Thanks for the picture. I'm definitely going to make one and put it on. It looks as though it's just standard expanded metal mesh.
Rod.
Yes. It really can cause a issue though. Problem is if snow gets on top of that grill either from roost or boondocking. At the right temp snow will melt enough to create a ice layer on the grill and lead to temp light if tunnel cooler is also plugged. Saw it twice over the years myself once trying to pass a Mountain sled on trail that was throwing so much snow it was like a Shitspreader and other time immediately after being off trail in windshield deep. So very rare. My buddy MtCooler here with a 7000 has a Frogskin cover on his that's offered by cat. This works much better since all snow slides right off since it covers the Louvers on hood. Protects the fins and Has never had overheating. That is the better way to go. The 7000 old hood was different shape than Our older Vipers otherwise I would have one. Perhaps the 2019 7000 with new hood has same shape as new Viper hood. Not sure. Let us know if you go that route.

Yes. It really can cause a issue though. Problem is if snow gets on top of that grill either from roost or boondocking. At the right temp snow will melt enough to create a ice layer on the grill and lead to temp light if tunnel cooler is also plugged. Saw it twice over the years myself once trying to pass a Mountain sled on trail that was throwing so much snow it was like a Shitspreader and other time immediately after being off trail in windshield deep. So very rare. My buddy MtCooler here with a 7000 has a Frogskin cover on his that's offered by cat. This works much better since all snow slides right off since it covers the Louvers on hood. Protects the fins and Has never had overheating. That is the better way to go. The 7000 old hood was different shape than Our older Vipers otherwise I would have one. Perhaps the 2019 7000 with new hood has same shape as new Viper hood. Not sure. Let us know if you go that route.
Well, I've done a lot of hunting for the Frogskin cover but can't seem to come up with one either on the Frogskin site or the Arctic Cat site. Would you happen to have a link that might lead me on the right path?
Thanks
Rod.

Yeah. Thanks for the link. That looks like a good setup.

I contacted Frogzskins and enquired about a mesh radiator cover for my sled but they informed me that they didn't make one at this time. I believe that would be the best solution for the issue but I decided to get a Yamaha radiator grille guard from a local wrecker. I installed it and it fit the radiator perfectly. When I went to put the cowl back on, it didn't want to sit down far enough to engage the rear 1/4 turn fasteners. I could see through the front louvers that the guard was interfering only at the top corners of the radiator. I marked the areas, took the cowl back off and ground away enough plastic on the back of the cowl to accommodate the guard. This works well and has no effect on the durability of the cowl. I've added before and after pictures of the underside of the cowl. I really believe that anyone with this model of sled should do something to prevent radiator damage as I'm sure it'll happen at some point if you don't.

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_115722203.jpg
    IMG_20201016_115722203.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20201016_121157713 (1).jpg
    IMG_20201016_121157713 (1).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 151

Back