• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think anyone is expecting a new chassis every 2 years bro. What they are expecting is Yamaha reliability not some rebranded pos arctic cat with a garbage warranty for $5k more. Many of the issues are simple to fix but have not been addressed.
I think it’s hilarious how the tuner skis were the best thing since sliced bread when released, now we’re going back to the single carbide skis. It just goes to show the latest isn’t always the greatest. Seems to me companies feel the need to bring changes to everything nowadays even if it isn’t for the better.
As consumers we need to stop demanding stupid gadgets and focus on wanting quality, reliable products. I can do without a gps television dash screen, that plays back video of me passing all my buddies on the trail, if I know my machine is reliable.
I’m soooo tired of stupid $hit like cars that park themselves......how about brakes that last 100k miles?
But this is what the young kids want, they don't care about reliability. I work as a service advisor for a car dealership and its the same thing
Most of you guys wouldn’t be happy no matter what Yamaha built. If it was “pure japan Yamaha” you would be picking that apart in a week also. I’ve never rode anything but Yamaha and have had my fair share of problems with the “pure” Yamaha and their quality parts and “fit and finish”. (Viper hood to belly pan BS ring a bell). That was great fit and finish. The “NEW” and here to stay Yamaha is awesome. This chassis is a dream to ride and does have small problems. The Yamaha engines are awesome also with problems. But overall is 10 times better then anything Yamaha or cat has ever released including the archaic 4 holer that many wont let go of. I for one am hoping for a Yamaha version of the riot with the c-tech 800 in it. I have hope seeing more 2 strikes were introduced. Who care who made it and what engine is in it. And if it costs more so be it, I’ll be in line buying 2! I think a lot of people around here need to settle down and reel it in. Yamaha will never build a BS “pure japan sled again” and I’m glad. Tariffs alone would drive the price up even higher. Enjoy what we have or move on. This continued bitching year after year is old. I feel jarret and Yamaha are starting to feel the same way.
The problem is that yes all have issues, but it shouldn't take this long to fix these issues if you aren't gonna change the sled. most of these issues have been going on since 2014

Guys I think we are all missing something here.

Has anyone else noticed that Cat very quietly redesigned the 800 C-TEC2? Recall they pioneered the fuel injection system with the slot in the Piston which to me, looks like is gone now:

"Apparently the 2020 800 CTEC engine gets new cylinders, heads and pistons. The reason for this was not clearly explained." (Supertaxmag.com)

Just what if, somewhere along the way YAMAHA had something to do with it?

Think about it!

PS

Thank you Jared for giving us all some more context. Obviously we are all a passionate bunch of Yamaha fans and it shows. Cheers man.
Could be but I saw more than one where the piston broke off right in line with the slot at low miles.

Guys I think we are all missing something here.

Has anyone else noticed that Cat very quietly redesigned the 800 C-TEC2? Recall they pioneered the fuel injection system with the slot in the Piston which to me, looks like is gone now:

"Apparently the 2020 800 CTEC engine gets new cylinders, heads and pistons. The reason for this was not clearly explained." (Supertaxmag.com)

Just what if, somewhere along the way YAMAHA had something to do with it?

Think about it!

PS

Thank you Jared for giving us all some more context. Obviously we are all a passionate bunch of Yamaha fans and it shows. Cheers man.
Could be but I saw more than one where the piston broke off right in line with the slot at low miles.
But this is what the young kids want, they don't care about reliability. I work as a service advisor for a car dealership and its the same thing

The problem is that yes all have issues, but it shouldn't take this long to fix these issues if you aren't gonna change the sled. most of these issues have been going on since 2014
Cat changes things way more rapidly than Yamaha ever did. Slides,exhaust donuts,ball joints,Bushing’s,shock Valving are all good examples of issues that lasted over a decade.

Snorunner i appreciate the post. I understand your frustration on the vector skid. The new shock should make a big difference for you. I spent a fair amount of time on my fathers 2018 Apex X-TX, and the bump compliance was quite good. Our apologies that campaign rolled out the way it did which left you on your own, we hope the sled has been treating you well otherwise its a great sled!

;)!
JMS, I sincerely appreciate what you are trying to do here. I absolutely love the power and ride of my 17 sidewinder now that I put Pilots on it. However the stress of wondering if it will make it through a 1800 mile saddlebag tour throughout Quebec is not enjoyable. I take great pride in servicing my machines and belong to a group with 6 winders who always help each other with issues & fixes. One '17 Winder in our group has 19k miles on it and is in need of its 5th driveshaft. We have milled them down,hard welded and milled with tighter specs. We have used expanders from barn of parts and still continue to have problems. I replaced mine at 8500 miles when replacing the bearing resulted in 9 thousandths difference between the shaft & bearing. We have all replaced the reverse bushings, added hose protectors underneath, tunnel reinforcement, replaced lower bar on front skid shock and most recently my sway bar snapped while touring Canada. These machines take a beating and I dont mind working towards making it bullet proof but it's frustrating when "barn of parts" is obviously more of partner in doing so than Yamaha. If Yamaha wont change the chaincase and driveshaft issues at least warranty it for 5 years without question. While I can easily replace these things myself, many cant and the last thing anyone wants is there 15,000 + dollar machine sitting at the dealership in January for repair. Take ownership of these issues and I'm all in for a new 2022 YAMAHA. I also wanted to mention the jackshaft bearing on the wife's 15 Viper exploded this winter while touring the UP of Michigan. It had to be left in the woods until the next day when I had to pay someone to drive my truck and trailer from 5 hours away to come pick us up and end our trip. Upon investigating I learned the jackshaft on that model was a well documented
Resized_20200209_153704_87800067621395.jpeg
problem which was upgraded in 2016. I had the chaincase apart 1 week earlier for service and even replaced the bushing in the jackshaft gear. Had no idea the sleeve holding the bearing in was stripped of its threads and ready to blow. Had Yamaha notified me this was a problem I could have rectified it during the off season and avoided yet another issue leading to insecurities about long distance reliabilty.

Honestly I'm fine with the Agreement with Cat as long as Yamaha continues to innovate with them. It can be a winning formula as it has been with the viper and sidewinder for the most part. It's not where we would like it yet but I do think that Cat quality and fit/finish has improved dramatically over the years that the agreement has been in place. There are still many holes in the lineup but for someone like me (and I think many of you) there is no better alternative to the sidewinder. Despite market share, innovation and popularity I'm simply not willing to go back to a two stroke. I cant bare the though of spending 15K on a time-bomb. The larger 2 stroke twins with all of the EPA madness these days are just not reliable. The only alternative to a winder or my beloved Apex would be a 900 turbo Skidoo which they will continue to gimp a little so it stays behind their 850 2 stroke as long as folks keep buying them.

So......you guys wanted a factory Turbo, you got it. You wanted a 2 stroke motor again (possible Yamaha R&D in it), you got it. You wanted a kids sled (SRX and Snoscoot), you got it. You wanted a smaller sled (Venom) for wives and/or bigger kids, you got it. You wanted a mountain sled, you got it both in 400 and 800. You wanted a all Japanese sled (VK/Venture TF) , you still have it.
Travis at BOP has fixed some of the procross issues, we all have fixed DB issues. Hopefully someone has the chain case issue fix in the works.
I got back last night from 800 flawless miles in the UP, seen several POO/DOOs being towed, seen a Nytro that blew a track and looking at the track he wore thru the track clips and through the ribs of the track, self induced!
I will more then likely keep my XTX until I give up the sport, maybe we will see.
If you want to switch brands, GO! Most of us are tired of hearing the crying. I think they have a good line up after coming off of a few bad years. If the 400 2s holds up, or they throw in a 4s in the future, might be a great sled for my Wife, the XTX is really way to much sled for her but needed to have PS, I will watch for a demo ride of the VENOM, maybe they will be at one of the TY rides in Muni?
Can you pull that off Tom?

So......you guys wanted a factory Turbo, you got it. You wanted a 2 stroke motor again (possible Yamaha R&D in it), you got it. You wanted a kids sled (SRX and Snoscoot), you got it. You wanted a smaller sled (Venom) for wives and/or bigger kids, you got it. You wanted a mountain sled, you got it both in 400 and 800. You wanted a all Japanese sled (VK/Venture TF) , you still have it.
Travis at BOP has fixed some of the procross issues, we all have fixed DB issues. Hopefully someone has the chain case issue fix in the works.
I got back last night from 800 flawless miles in the UP, seen several POO/DOOs being towed, seen a Nytro that blew a track and looking at the track he wore thru the track clips and through the ribs of the track, self induced!
I will more then likely keep my XTX until I give up the sport, maybe we will see.
If you want to switch brands, GO! Most of us are tired of hearing the crying. I think they have a good line up after coming off of a few bad years. If the 400 2s holds up, or they throw in a 4s in the future, might be a great sled for my Wife, the XTX is really way to much sled for her but needed to have PS, I will watch for a demo ride of the VENOM, maybe they will be at one of the TY rides in Muni?

That would be cool, maybe Jaret will allow us to test one.. if hes still watching this thread :D.. I know he is :D

SXVenom is a potent single. Its essentially half of a 800.
It employs the same exhaust power valve tech as its big brother.
65 hp class power.
In testing this unit did well over 70mph, a few week's back at altitude during snow shoot full size adults were seeing high 60s.
Weight is in the low low 400s dry.

Guys, We are here to answer comments and provide insight where to can to the loyal TY community. If people are just going to be negative and bash we will no longer be on here.

JMS,
I watched one of your videos on Facebook and I’m glad to see the Yamaha snowmobile division getting back to directly engaging with customers. Yamaha did a great job on updating the VK 540 and bringing it back to the USA. I’m greatly impressed with the fuel economy compared to the 0ld Polaris 488 fan and the new 550 fan motors. My buddy’s Bearcat 570 is also bad on gas.

I’m interested in the Transporter Lite and think the smaller sized sled is a great idea. I’ve been following it since Cat released it last fall and I don’t understand why the official weight has still not been released? I’m assuming the pre-production models are not yet sorted out and things are being tweaked before final production? Will the Transport Lite be an in season model? With winters being questionable as far as snow I’m much more inclined to buy in season rather than snow check. Cat’s policy doesn’t allow for that so hopefully Yamaha will?

Remember that if the 800 eventually becomes an 850 that means the 400 would probably become a 425 at some point, which would put it at 75-80 HP.

I was hoping to see a factory installed ice ripper type track on the Viper Gt.

I have never seen any of the factories put on a pre-studded track that I can recall. I can't see it happening either, likely to remain an accessory option.

That being said, is the current Ice Ripper still based off the first series Ripsaw? If so I had one a few years ago and did not care for it. Now if it's based off the Ripsaw II that would be a different story.

Perfect! Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back