• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that if the 800 eventually becomes an 850 that means the 400 would probably become a 425 at some point, which would put it at 75-80 HP.

They (Cat) must have figured bumping it to 850 wasn't worth the tooling cost? They did bump the power up and it did seem to perform smack in the middle of the 2 850's at the shootout.

A fella I know owns a newer 850 Renegade and also kept his former 800 Renegade.....the 800 is still a hair quicker/faster than his 850. Go figure! He says they are both bone stock too. So maybe Cat has a good point there?

They (Cat) must have figured bumping it to 850 wasn't worth the tooling cost? They did bump the power up and it did seem to perform smack in the middle of the 2 850's at the shootout.

A fella I know owns a newer 850 Renegade and also kept his former 800 Renegade.....the 800 is still a hair quicker/faster than his 850. Go figure! He says they are both bone stock too. So maybe Cat has a good point there?
I think u will see them up it.
They r probably working on it.

Could be but I saw more than one where the piston broke off right in line with the slot at low miles.

Cat changes things way more rapidly than Yamaha ever did. Slides,exhaust donuts,ball joints,Bushing’s,shock Valving are all good examples of issues that lasted over a decade.
IMO, they don't change until they run out of parts. Thankfully it appears they finally used all the tuner skis. :jump:

Are the ctech 800s the ones that were blowing flames out the exhaust?

Can ride mine if nothing else!
I will take you up on that next year in MUNI.
Please Jared do us a solid and do a Totally Yamaha ride event next season!

Last edited:
JMS, I sincerely appreciate what you are trying to do here. I absolutely love the power and ride of my 17 sidewinder now that I put Pilots on it. However the stress of wondering if it will make it through a 1800 mile saddlebag tour throughout Quebec is not enjoyable. I take great pride in servicing my machines and belong to a group with 6 winders who always help each other with issues & fixes. One '17 Winder in our group has 19k miles on it and is in need of its 5th driveshaft. We have milled them down,hard welded and milled with tighter specs. We have used expanders from barn of parts and still continue to have problems. I replaced mine at 8500 miles when replacing the bearing resulted in 9 thousandths difference between the shaft & bearing. We have all replaced the reverse bushings, added hose protectors underneath, tunnel reinforcement, replaced lower bar on front skid shock and most recently my sway bar snapped while touring Canada. These machines take a beating and I dont mind working towards making it bullet proof but it's frustrating when "barn of parts" is obviously more of partner in doing so than Yamaha. If Yamaha wont change the chaincase and driveshaft issues at least warranty it for 5 years without question. While I can easily replace these things myself, many cant and the last thing anyone wants is there 15,000 + dollar machine sitting at the dealership in January for repair. Take ownership of these issues and I'm all in for a new 2022 YAMAHA. I also wanted to mention the jackshaft bearing on the wife's 15 Viper exploded this winter while touring the UP of Michigan. It had to be left in the woods until the next day when I had to pay someone to drive my truck and trailer from 5 hours away to come pick us up and end our trip. Upon investigating I learned the jackshaft on that model was a well documentedView attachment 153883 problem which was upgraded in 2016. I had the chaincase apart 1 week earlier for service and even replaced the bushing in the jackshaft gear. Had no idea the sleeve holding the bearing in was stripped of its threads and ready to blow. Had Yamaha notified me this was a problem I could have rectified it during the off season and avoided yet another issue leading to insecurities about long distance reliabilty.

So here you are saying you have had drive shaft failure with the BOP wedge installed? I don't think I have read anyone else having an issue yet. Hoping this is not true. For me this is the one issue they should be diligently working on to correct. You spend $15,000 on a sled that junks a driveshaft every year or two. Unacceptable. ..... and more unacceptable to continue throwing new sleds out there with the same issue.

Give them some time. They just got around to fixing the 2012 tuner ski mistake. Lol

I changed the track on a 2017 Winder with 8300kms on it a few weeks ago. Main drive bearings felt good and there was only one or two thousandths of wear on the brake side of drive shaft. Put some loctite on it and put it back in.
I'm wondering if studded machines would wear more due to some vibration feeding through the drivers into shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back