• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Sidewinders

This is all the reality of wanting to be a Yamaha sled owner/rider...they will be built in conjunction with AC. There are virtually no Japanese autos/trucks we buy in North America being built in Japan and sleds are obviously no different.
Its funny but when I bought my first Apex I kept my 2 stroke SRX as a backup sled but found I only wanted to ride my Apex and my 2002 SRX just collected dust, when I bought my 2019 Winder I also kept my Apex but it only collects dust.
I am happy Yamaha is still selling sleds regardless of where they are being built as I like being different and not being part of the faceless masses.
JM.02c

Couldn't agree more! My 2018 Sidewinder RTX SE is my 5th Yamaha sled, and my favorite to date. I have yet to see another blue and white 2018 SE on the trails in 2 seasons, and I like it that way! I even had a guy on an 850 Freeride wave me down at an intersection to tell me my sled looked badass.

The SRX is sweet looking but for over 3 k less and a better 1.25 ripsaw this is a way better value.
upload_2020-3-9_20-3-1.png

Like the new Srx with blue and grey. Wish it came with 1.5 track and I would get my wallet out
You wouldn't think it would be that hard to figure out would it. I sold my sled a week ago in hopes to snowcheck a sled. The SRX looks great but track sucks and the LTX LE is ugly. Hate to say it but I'm going to order a T-cat and save $2k

I think most of those are some sharp looking sleds and the ctech 800 is a great 2-stroke engine. Far more reliable and long lasting then what the other camps have for sure. My wife rides a 2020 riot and my only complaint is I find the ecu calibrations could use a little cleaning up in spots but seems like yamaha took care of that. And lastly, maybe Im lucky to be a logger and deal with equipment repair issues on a near daily basis but I find the sidewinder “issues” to be a non issue really. You know what needs to be done and what needs to be checked annually so get it done and enjoy riding the sled. They are sharp looking, ride great and will destroy 99% of sleds that pull up along side it, Im good with that and the few “issues” that come with them. There will be a new chassis someday. In the mean time Im really enjoying mine.

The SRX is sweet looking but for over 3 k less and a better 1.25 ripsaw this is a way better value.View attachment 153814

Just be sure to price them both out...Cat will add freight typically and YAM will discount more and give more warranty, in the end the pricing is close.

However, IMO the Cat 998 works much better with the 24/50 gears in conjunction with TEAM clutches. If Cat/YAM were to fix the driveshaft known issue, along with a few tweaks to chaincase and ANNOUNCE the fix, they would help their cause. But they won't, and will continue to sell very few sleds unfortunately.

YAM sure knows how to make a good looking sled though! Man the blue SRX is back and LTX with Orange looking killer and then there is arguably the best looking sled, the red/silver SE...wow, that is pretty!

Dan

5F25EAF2-FF0E-45A5-BC82-297FC485493E.png
33D6EE4A-0EC2-4692-B817-20DD8326C715.png
2CFF1C48-761A-49F6-9328-75F2FF1DE502_1_105_c.jpg
9F6C43B9-AF80-4A3D-ABD6-5046751ADD31_1_105_c.jpg
50F3CF47-A35C-4E6C-8D00-0725D3F8CEEB.png
400CBC5C-02A6-4F92-83BB-425A309E8907_1_105_c.jpg
469AE507-51EE-410F-98E3-1CD8682D41D1.png
6032FADA-0994-4113-93F3-2B84FD40941A_1_105_c.jpg
B098F30F-F25C-4780-8CA8-22B22C8EDAD8_1_105_c.jpg
DAFA7DE7-BB4B-4493-824E-C6C8A525D735_1_105_c.jpg

Last edited:
I think most of those are some sharp looking sleds and the ctech 800 is a great 2-stroke engine. Far more reliable and long lasting then what the other camps have for sure. My wife rides a 2020 riot and my only complaint is I find the ecu calibrations could use a little cleaning up in spots but seems like yamaha took care of that. And lastly, maybe Im lucky to be a logger and deal with equipment repair issues on a near daily basis but I find the sidewinder “issues” to be a non issue really. You know what needs to be done and what needs to be checked annually so get it done and enjoy riding the sled. They are sharp looking, ride great and will destroy 99% of sleds that pull up along side it, Im good with that and the few “issues” that come with them. There will be a new chassis someday. In the mean time Im really enjoying mine.
Well said... I agree 100%.

Yep, looks like I will be riding my 265HP pump gas trail rocket for another year,(ho-hum) while simultaneously reading negative online comments to no end.
Life's a bi-otch.

Just be sure to price them both out...Cat will add freight typically and YAM will discount more and give more warranty, in the end the pricing is close.

However, IMO the Cat 998 works much better with the 24/50 gears in conjunction with TEAM clutches. If Cat/YAM were to fix the driveshaft known issue, along with a few tweaks to chaincase and ANNOUNCE the fix, they would help their cause. But they won't, and will continue to sell very few sleds unfortunately.

YAM sure knows how to make a good looking sled though! Man the blue SRX is back and LTX with Orange looking killer and then there is arguably the best looking sled, the red/silver SE...wow, that is pretty!

Dan

View attachment 153818 View attachment 153819 View attachment 153820 View attachment 153821 View attachment 153822 View attachment 153823 View attachment 153824 View attachment 153825 View attachment 153826 View attachment 153827

That is one sweet looking 998!

I have to say I thought the TCat looked better in the side view on Cats site, I don't like the looks of the TCat here. Yuck!

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/534-turbo-4-stroke/1870840-2021-thundercat.html#post20415820

I'll be riding my 2017 for quite some time as I have it working so well now! I don't care what anyone came out with!

Dan

View attachment 153818 View attachment 153819 View attachment 153820 View attachment 153821 View attachment 153822 View attachment 153823 View attachment 153824 View attachment 153825 View attachment 153826 View attachment 153827
I think that SE will be on my order form. Thanks for the pics. ;)!

;)!;)!;)!That silver an orange though

Wouldn't it be nice if you could pick your color and then your shock and option packages? Brutal when you "customize" one there's no options.

Justinator hit the nail on the head here.

Put an Ultimax belt and boom....all cluching/belt issues are behind you.

Every fall, open chaincase, put new top gear and look everything over. At 8-9000k miles put all new bearings in chaincase. Follow this schedule and boom....all chaincase issues are behind you.

Every fall, take apart left driveshaft bearing, grease and/or replace, add BOP bearing saver and boom....all driveshaft issues are behind you.

Put a tune and boom.....every other swinging dick is behind you!!!

Last Saturday, went riding with the boys and did about 230 miles. Pulled up to the pump, filled up, and after some math I calculated 18 mpg. Some miles later, found myself on the RR bed, gave the SRX a manly squeeze and saw the speedo climb into the 140s.

Woke up Sunday morning, put my 4 year in front of me and went riding at 25-30 mph.

All the above was done with the same tune, same clutching, same everything. Imo....the winder is as good as it gets. Is it perfect? Heck no....but its warm, it handles, it rides, and the only thing that pulls a tuned winder, is another tuned winder!!!

Back