• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Thundercat blowing belts

Slow998

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 Thundercat
I have a 21 Thundercat with TD jukebox and usually run around 280-300 horse tune most of the time. Last time out I blew 3 belts in 30 miles. Right now it has 73 gram Dalton weights loaded to 78 grams, stock primary spring, Ron Ward torsion conversion in the secondary, XS829 or 827 Ultimax belts, 21/37 gear and 1" ripsaw studded track. Snow conditions have been loose, but would 21/37 gear make it that hard belts?!?

Oh ya! you can gear up a bit from stock, but not that much (if you expect good belt life)

Last edited:
I should add that our trails are like super highways. Its nothing to cruise at 80-100 mph and squeeze it into the 130 range.

I'd pull the clutch off and make sure stub shaft hasn't moved.
I did, and checked clutch alignment. It's spot on. I've put about 600-700 miles on my sled with it geared this way and haven't had an issue until now but the trails have been fairly firm until last weeks snow. I'm having a hard time believing that gearing is causing my issue but I haven't found anything else. I have about 1,300 miles on the sled

Any chance you have springs binding? I’m not familiar with the Team on the thunders. But any spring binding at all with this power will eat them belts.

Temp check those clutches with your hands also. Betting one OR both of them is running HOT
Just by touch, the belt feels the hottest, the secondary is also very hot and the primary feels the coolest

Just by touch, the belt feels the hottest, the secondary is also very hot and the primary feels the coolest
You got a torsion secondary? Try wrapping the spring tighter. You should be able to hold hands anywhere on either clutch. Sounds like your not balanced so to speak. Primary is pulling belt through secondary?

You got a torsion secondary? Try wrapping the spring tighter. You should be able to hold hands anywhere on either clutch. Sounds like your not balanced so to speak. Primary is pulling belt through secondary?
Yes, it's a torsion conversion in the stock secondary clutch. I'll try the next tighter hole and see what happens

Call Ron Ward and ask him his thoughts on your secondary. From everything I've heard he's a good guy and will try to help you troubleshoot.

I have a 21 Thundercat with TD jukebox and usually run around 280-300 horse tune most of the time. Last time out I blew 3 belts in 30 miles. Right now it has 73 gram Dalton weights loaded to 78 grams, stock primary spring, Ron Ward torsion conversion in the secondary, XS829 or 827 Ultimax belts, 21/37 gear and 1" ripsaw studded track. Snow conditions have been loose, but would 21/37 gear make it that hard belts?!?
geared on the high side but don't think that is your problem. and even if alignment was off a bit 3 belts in 30 miles is crazy so must be something else going on. I would have a good look at your clutches, take off sled and take apart if needed something is up.

Back