• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2022 EPS Power Steering review

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha powered CAT
I have put 2300kms on my 2022 Sidewinder LTX GT with Power steering, in all types of conditions. I've been on the procross/yamacat chassis since 2012 with at least 40,000kms combined, so I have a pretty good idea on how to set these sleds up and compare from one to the other.

PROS:
The power steering IS a gamechanger as far as easy of steering. I have tried snowtrackers, BOP mechanical steering and nothing can compare to this. It feels intuitive, and slowly goes away with speed (roughly 70-mph it is gone). It feels connected if that makes any sense.
The biggest advantage is that there is ZERO bump steer and NO feedback through the bars. You can stand up through a moguled section and have complete control with no fear of the bar jerking one way to the other, ride with one hand even.
I jumped back on an '18 Sidewinder with snotrackers which was the 'easy steering' sled out of our gang, the EPS sled still felt way easier to steer. There is simply nothing that compares.

CONS:
Not really any, besides the price. lol I will say that I didnt like the STRYKE skis and still trying to figure out a combination that doesnt push. I am not sold on the taller spindles coming from a 2019.
I also dis-like the yamaha clutching compared to TEAM as far as responsiveness and backshift but I wont get into a debate on this thread here.

Despite all this, I still prefer how my 19 Cat handles and rides (clutching, the lower spindles ect). If you do long days or have any type of shoulder injury, I would say its a no-brainer to go for the EPS, whether CAT or Yamaha

What are you thinking for a ski combo? The Riot skis can be had a reasonable price and seem to have some good reviews here on TY.
I don't have the miles on mine that you do but I am trying to figure out a skeg combo. I am currently running 6 inch Shapers with the 7.5 shim in the rear of the ski. It is ok but doesn't track as straight as slim jims that I ran on my 2017, but it doesn't push either.

as far as the taller spindles, it seems much flatter than my 2017, but that was a 129.

I have tried the stock Stryke ski which is similar to a cat ski. I’m not sure what the riot ski would be like, how it’s different than a regular cat ski besides being a bit wider?

The 6.9 pilots were an improvement but still not perfect. My next attempt will be 5.7R with navigators and 8”ace carbides. The navigators should get rid of any dart.
I had these skis on my 2019 and it railed, but steering was heavy! Now with EPS, this should be the ideal combo. I will know in about a week.

I have tried the stock Stryke ski which is similar to a cat ski. I’m not sure what the riot ski would be like, how it’s different than a regular cat ski besides being a bit wider?
I believe they also have a deeper keel, 1.5 inch vs. 7/8?
Justinitor runs them and has good things to say about them.
$380 complete for a set of Pro-climb 7 skis
6639-875-2_1.jpg

I may have mis-spoke here. I think the new Riots come with the Pro climb-7 G2 skis.
It seems like the keel on these skis is just as deep but tapers towards the back?

8639-064-7.jpg

Have any of you tried the SLP Mohawk skis? I had zero dart with those with a 6” carbide and a 137 Cobra 1.6 lug track. I liked how they floated too in deeper snow and they cornered real well without push issues.

SLP designed those skis on a ProCross chassis.

I just ordered a pair of the Slydog Command skis to give them a try on my 2023 LTX LE w/power steering. Not totally dissatisfied with the Stryke skis, but think they could be better as they seem to push more than I like in certain conditions. Hopefully I'll get them before my trip next weekend.

I have put 2300kms on my 2022 Sidewinder LTX GT with Power steering, in all types of conditions. I've been on the procross/yamacat chassis since 2012 with at least 40,000kms combined, so I have a pretty good idea on how to set these sleds up and compare from one to the other.

PROS:
The power steering IS a gamechanger as far as easy of steering. I have tried snowtrackers, BOP mechanical steering and nothing can compare to this. It feels intuitive, and slowly goes away with speed (roughly 70-mph it is gone). It feels connected if that makes any sense.
The biggest advantage is that there is ZERO bump steer and NO feedback through the bars. You can stand up through a moguled section and have complete control with no fear of the bar jerking one way to the other, ride with one hand even.
I jumped back on an '18 Sidewinder with snotrackers which was the 'easy steering' sled out of our gang, the EPS sled still felt way easier to steer. There is simply nothing that compares.

CONS:
Not really any, besides the price. lol I will say that I didnt like the STRYKE skis and still trying to figure out a combination that doesnt push. I am not sold on the taller spindles coming from a 2019.
I also dis-like the yamaha clutching compared to TEAM as far as responsiveness and backshift but I wont get into a debate on this thread here.

Despite all this, I still prefer how my 19 Cat handles and rides (clutching, the lower spindles ect). If you do long days or have any type of shoulder injury, I would say its a no-brainer to go for the EPS, whether CAT or Yamaha
I have yet to ride an EPS winder. Mine showed up in April last year so I ended up selling it. How would you say the effort compares to my MPS kit?

The 6.9 pilots were an improvement but still not perfect. My next attempt will be 5.7R with navigators and 8”ace carbides. The navigators should get rid of any dart.
I had these skis on my 2019 and it railed, but steering was heavy! Now with EPS, this should be the ideal combo. I will know in about a week.

The Navigators will not cure the darting. It helps a bit but still there, been there, tried that. I run Deuce bars which is Stud-Boys double carbide with Navigators in front of them to protect the front of the ski in early season plowed field riding. Not that I like this setup, but even with dual carbides and navigators it will hunt, dart & push, but the whole bottom of the keel is protected for bare field areas.

The best I've tried is Doo 5.7 single keel race skis and Aggressive Snowtrackers. Only down fall with this package is it will push some in certain loose snow conditions up where it starts getting to thawing temps around 30F and above. My second best setup is the Slim Jims, but they like to push in a slightly aggressive style of riding and the carbide doesn't last too long either.
I have yet to ride an EPS winder. Mine showed up in April last year so I ended up selling it. How would you say the effort compares to my MPS kit?

The effort on the factory EPS is quite a bit less than with the mechanical kit. I’ll be putting in an order this spring for an EPS machine again. It’s literally effortless at slow speeds.

The Navigators will not cure the darting. It helps a bit but still there, been there, tried that. I run Deuce bars which is Stud-Boys double carbide with Navigators in front of them to protect the front of the ski in early season plowed field riding. Not that I like this setup, but even with dual carbides and navigators it will hunt, dart & push, but the whole bottom of the keel is protected for bare field areas.

The best I've tried is Doo 5.7 single keel race skis and Aggressive Snowtrackers. Only down fall with this package is it will push some in certain loose snow conditions up where it starts getting to thawing temps around 30F and above. My second best setup is the Slim Jims, but they like to push in a slightly aggressive style of riding and the carbide doesn't last too long either.

The effort on the factory EPS is quite a bit less than with the mechanical kit. I’ll be putting in an order this spring for an EPS machine again. It’s literally effortless at slow speeds.
What are Navigators Mike?
A piece of flat metal(more or less) that bolts between the carbide and the keel of the ski?

I just ordered a pair of the Slydog Command skis to give them a try on my 2023 LTX LE w/power steering. Not totally dissatisfied with the Stryke skis, but think they could be better as they seem to push more than I like in certain conditions. Hopefully I'll get them before my trip next weekend.
Would like to hear your opinion on them once you get some miles on them. I had them on a non eps SW.. I think you will be very happy..

Would like to hear your opinion on them once you get some miles on them. I had them on a non eps SW.. I think you will be very happy..

Looking forward to trying them. Hopefully they arrive before my trip late next week where we have about 700 miles planned. Should be a good test to see how they perform with the power steering.

Looking forward to trying them. Hopefully they arrive before my trip late next week where we have about 700 miles planned. Should be a good test to see how they perform with the power steering.
Agree with WinderFab. I too put a set of Slydog 'The Trail' ski's on my SRX. Love them.

Back