• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2023 Polaris VR1 and Assault Boost

Ah yes, I remember my excitement back in 2016 when ordering my Winder knowing it was going to be a fast stock sled, even though some said never to a first year sled and calling it hype! It’s since has proven itself many times!

So enjoy the hype and excitement to those who are buying that Boost!

2 stroke boosted sled sounds Both fast and light, but makes me wonder about durability after all of the 2 smokes I’ve burnt down!

Well if the boost doesn't kick in until 80mph I will be in the next zip code by then.
Raced a 850 vr1 this weekend. He wanted to race. Left him out of the hole and just drove away. Really wasn't a race at all.

Ah yes, I remember my excitement back in 2016 when ordering my Winder knowing it was going to be a fast stock sled, even though some said never to a first year sled and calling it hype! It’s since has proven itself many times!

So enjoy the hype and excitement to those who are buying that Boost!

2 stroke boosted sled sounds Both fast and light, but makes me wonder about durability after all of the 2 smokes I’ve burnt down!
2 strokes belong in chainsaws and weed whackers.

To get any reliability out of these big 2 strokes they will have to go back to 3 cylinders. these 2 cyl motors just rock themselves to death, just on the ragged edge. Go back to a 3cyl 8 0r 900 and all these meltdowns will be greatly reduced. But OMG what about the weight haha. Mark my words! And we as a whole need to stop being complacent about motors going down. No, its not acceptable anymore.

To get any reliability out of these big 2 strokes they will have to go back to 3 cylinders. these 2 cyl motors just rock themselves to death, just on the ragged edge. Go back to a 3cyl 8 0r 900 and all these meltdowns will be greatly reduced. But OMG what about the weight haha. Mark my words! And we as a whole need to stop being complacent about motors going down. No, its not acceptable anymore.
There's just no room for triple expansion chambers on today's slim bodied sleds.

Buddy had a firecat that made 450 plus hp with turbo( 2 cylinder)
It ran ok
D&d was running some big numbers on turbo sleds in the day(Glenn hall)
All 2 cylinders
1200 cc cats though so heavier duty beast
They competed until hypersports big dogs were built
I agree on the four stroke being better at big hp but I’m not for sure what’s going to happen with trail machines.
Not trying to make this an argument but this will be interesting
Kinda all speculation now
Dang it
It’s all in fun

All good. I just found it funny. I'll never forget replacing exhaust donuts over and over. I did forget about the front end bushings wearing out and oblonging the bulkhead though. So nice once copper donuts came along and the oillite kits for the front end. Replacing the bulkhead on those was a job.
I have to agree to disagree on the cost though. It actually doesn't take much to make a winder reliable now that all the issues are known and fixes exist. Anyway... off topic.. Let's talk about someone else replacing pistons and how they have it way worse than we do. :)
Spent the last 2 days on 2 Apex's. Mine has about 8000 miles and the copper donuts look great. So the pipe from the throttle side broke off at the weld to the muffler pipe. The other apex had a broken flex pipe. Oh yeah ,we had another broken flex pipe too but fixed it before snow fell. Maybe the copper donuts cause the next weakest link to fail. Anyway, a light 190 hp sled would probably scare me at a hundred plus, hitting a snow pile some one left. Ill take my winder. Stays on the snow. But still love apexs too.

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 54
My stock xcr 850 beats our one stock 18 tcat in drag race
The stock sleds against the boost will not be a comparison
I think we have the fix for the reed issue and will try to push to 22-23 psi
Stock is 9 psi
Im not afraid to find out what breaks though either:flag:
your 850 beats a sidewinder I have heard that song and dance before…

All modern 2 strokes have knock protection. The polaris system works very similiar to the gap tunes. Basically pulling timing when knock is detected and when the max timing is pulled you get a warning. Id imagine on the polaris boost it pulls a bit of boost as well as timing but one can only speculate.
On a side note, the 850 polaris wasnt known for durability so I cant imagine forced induction helping things but will try to be optimistic. Love that there pushing new technology, its what drives others to improve.

When the 850 detonates, it goes into "Limp Mode"
You have to pull over, shut it down, re-start it & hope it goes away.
A REAL Pain in Butslawski!

When the 850 detonates, it goes into "Limp Mode"
You have to pull over, shut it down, re-start it & hope it goes away.
A REAL Pain in Butslawski!
I think its a cool sled. But Im gettin old...times gettin shorter...desks are too small to hide under if nuked...I dont have time to waste waiting for fancy pants electronics to get fixed..or pistons on backorder....thats why I chose yamaha 4 strokes. Not too complicated, powerful, reliable, and the mechanical stuff with the cat part or the delta box stuff is pretty basic and I can fix it myself.

I wouldn't own a two cylinder two-stroke on boost myself, let alone one with a Polaris engine stuffed in there, it would however be easy to change pistons WHEN it blows up and/or burns down! Think a boosted four-stroke is a lot of work, wait till the guys see what a boosted two stoke is for upkeep!

At least Polaris and Doo are innovating new stuff, thats more than I can say about Textron and Yamaha's bold new graphics and colors every season, shoot they can't even update a top gear bushing or a bearing that rotates on a shaft let alone innovate anything new since the Cat engineering crew all got let go a few years back.....

Mike is on point here in my opinion.
I think a Turbo 850 is gonna be a rocket!
I would NOT own one, but they will be hard to beat.
I've stated MANY times that if POOO puts a 4-stroke in their chassis, i'd be interested. To me it's the best handling sled out there.
I assume they'll boost it in a few years so it will be 6 years before i'd consider it.
I'll be 60 then so maybe, JUST MAYBE, Yamaha will have something new to sway me.
I know DOOO will have something new also cuz they seem to every other year improve/change.

Polaris is making a dent in Ski Doo sales.
Good for them.
Good for the business.
Good for us!!!!!

Last edited:
Just watched the Lesters review of the VR1 turbo. Towards the end of the review he starts it up so we can hear it. Hes pushing and blipping the throttle so it revs, but it revs and goes no where like the belt is off. They always claimed the 1200 Doo had lag, but it really didn't, it was so responsive it would instantly take off. I wonder why they dont complain about the lag on the VR1 turbo? So weird. I'm thinking how slow it responds and doesn't even engage the clutch, yet they don't speak of that...

The other way around. They said the lag caused the clutch to engage. Love that video for the sweet Apex sound.

My stock xcr 850 beats our one stock 18 tcat in drag race

your 850 beats a sidewinder I have heard that song and dance before…
Don’t worry. There will be video. It’s neat to go fast on the big end but better to out run someone in a drag race imo.
It’s going to be a problem on the lake for a lot of sleds and guess what, there’s always someone faster. There are turbos that will destroy the Polaris where we race but hypersports is predominantly in the area because this is where they started.
I have had plenty of 1100s and 998s. Will you make more hp on pump gas? Yes. Should they be more reliable? Absolutely. Are they as fun to ride? Not in my opinion. I have a 998 still and it sat all year.
they are making 260 hp already and running 105 mph in 500 ft in the snow which is respectable I think??
It’s going to be fun to shake them down next year. Time will tell.:)

Back