• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2024 Yamaha snowmobile releases, March 14, 2023

Do they still offer the Viper? A Viper that has power steering from the factory MIGHT get me to open my wallet......that is when I get a job!!!!

AC released today. Pantera 7000 and ZR 7000 return using the 1049cc Yamaha engine. I would assume this means the Viper will return with BNG. I'd sure like a few more models combinations. The Thundercat and Riot 9000 return. Procross based. So the Polaris rumors were not true. All 600 Cats are Catalyst models and 800 Procross.

You can pretty much look at the Cat release and expand the 4 stroke model line a bit and you'll have Yamaha 2024. The only question at this point will be is a Catalyst chassis capable of fitting the 4 stroke triples coming in 2025 or is Yamaha finished? If they truly signed a new 7 year agreement no way they are leaving the 4 stroke engines in a Procross for another 7 years. The Catalyst 4 stroke has to happen at some point.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230228-194522_Chrome.jpg

That's expensive!

Yikes! the 7000 at $16,500 PLUS a $700 logistics surcharge, delivery, dealer set up, etc. Now you need a real windshield, no QS3 shocks, granted the stock IFP shocks do work good. Not like the Doo stock base shocks. I was going to look into upgrading this year, but not for that kind of hit. I'll keep my old faithful 7000 a bit longer. I would assume the Yamaha prices will be up there too

Maybe AC does what we expected years ago with the new chassis. All AC Catalyst sleds 2-stroke and all Yamaha Catalyst sleds 4-stroke. Then the division can start from there and expand for 2025.

I saw a funny pic on FB the other day. They laid a ghost image of a Catalyst over the top of a ghost image of a Phazer, and the dimensions and ergos were nearly identical. Obviously there was some photoshop done there, but very ironic. A phazer with a 600 2-stroke would have sold. Or any phazer with over 100hp would have done better.

Wait, did I say bring back the phazer motor in a catalyst chassis? Hmm, that may be very cool, and compete head to head with the Polaris S4 and Doo Ace 600.

Last edited:
Maybe AC does what we expected years ago with the new chassis. All AC Catalyst sleds 2-stroke and all Yamaha Catalyst sleds 4-stroke. Then the division can start from there and expand for 2025.

I saw a funny pic on FB the other day. They laid a ghost image of a Catalyst over the top of a ghost image of a Phazer, and they dimensions and ergos were nearly identical. Obviously there was some photoshop done there, but very ironic. A phazer with a 600 2-stroke would have sold. Or any phazer with over 100hp would have done better.

Wait, did I say bring back the phazer motor in a catalyst chassis? Hmm, that may be very cool, and compete head to head with the Polaris S4 and Doo Ace 600.
I always thought that was a unique engine, a high revver with gear reduction drive, great for clutch longevity.
I know it costs more to build than a 5 or 600 two-stroke.
A little more displacement would have helped it, or even a little turbo and bring the power up to 140HP
Just dreaming out loud haha.

No way a viper or ZR with this engine should cost 16K. That is ridiculous and seriously going to reduce sales even further than things already were.

I always thought that was a unique engine, a high revver with gear reduction drive, great for clutch longevity.
I know it costs more to build than a 5 or 600 two-stroke.
A little more displacement would have helped it, or even a little turbo and bring the power up to 140HP
Just dreaming out loud haha.
I loved that engine (other than oil changes) And power is so relative. To many, it was more than enough power.

For example, we headed to a house party, via sled, and a guy rolled up on a new venom. And I asked how he liked it. He started going off on how he used to race and he would put it up against any 600. At that point I knew this guy was full of beans and probably never raced a day in his life. But truth be told, he was more than happy with his Venom. And that's great.

I think this sport still needs entry sleds under $10K. Not that a catalyst with a phazer engine would reduce costs. But it may be an entry sled option. Phazer II anyone?

333878114_590288399662483_2933835990971668469_n.jpg

I had a Phazer GT for a while. That sled was a blast in the tight stuff. Bigger sleds could not get away from it. A big field or straight would come and they would dust that Phazer, but back in woods it would reel them right back in.
The low power of that sled was one of the things that made it fun to ride fast. You had to be on the bar all the time to go quick.
If I had one now, it would be getting some better shocks.

I loved that engine (other than oil changes) And power is so relative. To many, it was more than enough power.

For example, we headed to a house party, via sled, and a guy rolled up on a new venom. And I asked how he liked it. He started going off on how he used to race and he would put it up against any 600. At that point I knew this guy was full of beans and probably never raced a day in his life. But truth be told, he was more than happy with his Venom. And that's great.

I think this sport still needs entry sleds under $10K. Not that a catalyst with a phazer engine would reduce costs. But it may be an entry sled option. Phazer II anyone?

333878114_590288399662483_2933835990971668469_n.jpg
I know I would buy a catalyst with a phazer engine in a heartbeat!

I had a Phazer GT for a while. That sled was a blast in the tight stuff. Bigger sleds could not get away from it. A big field or straight would come and they would dust that Phazer, but back in woods it would reel them right back in.
The low power of that sled was one of the things that made it fun to ride fast. You had to be on the bar all the time to go quick.
If I had one now, it would be getting some better shocks.
I bought a new 07 and rode it for two years as I was ready for a change but couldn't afford the Apex at the time.
Really liked the sound of it.
Have you noticed that a lot of new competing twin engines have now gone with that firing style of crankshaft? One piston at top, the other half way down the stroke. Polaris 850 ATV engine. The new Suzuki street bike engine. And others.

Rmax 1000 engine in a Catalyst chassis. 100+ hp, lighter, used across multiple lines (like the 998), could be a winner.

Rmax 1000 engine in a Catalyst chassis. 100+ hp, lighter, used across multiple lines (like the 998), could be a winner.
I agree. If they came out with this then maybe I just sell the S4 before I put a mile on it! Ha

I'm not familiar with all the yamaha engines mentioned on here but it would be great if they could find a way to do something like the doo 900 4 stroke. Light weight, decent power, efficient.

Back