• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2025 Yamaha sled release

Would you buy a new ‘25 Yamaha sled?

• Yes, can’t wait to see the ‘25 models!

• No, not until they offer made in Japan models

• Yamaha still sells snowmobiles?

• Hopeful there will be a blue Cataylist

• Will wait until I can buy a 4-stroke Cataylist

• No, I moved on to another brand long ago

• No, currently moving to another brand

• I can’t take year after year of disappointment

• I’m forever faithful they will turn things around!

Results are only viewable after voting.

VK540V

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
VK540
So I figured I‘d post the annual “wait until next year” thread. This year I had some optimism that the rumored Japanese sled production shut down was just rumors. But going into next season I don’t hold out much hope for anything exciting or new. What do you think?

Awesome survey!

Here are the future possibilities. I am not including a new Japanese built snowmobile because with everything based in North America and a tiny budget to the snow division that’s 100% not happening.

1) Yamaha stays on the Procross until Cat no longer wants to build it exclusively for 4 stroke models. Yamaha then exits the snow market. Yamaha might add a blue 2 stroke Catalyst to their line just to keep things going a bit longer… that’s if Cat will do it.
2) Catalyst based 4 stroke models happen for Cat and Yamaha. An NA version and turbo version. Cat really has to be all in on this because with Yamaha having no R&D left it’ll be 90% a Cat project. With Cat focused on a new larger cc engine for next year I really think this is a 2026 release at best, but we’ll see.
3) Cat develops their own 4 stroke and shows Yamaha the door. They already build their own for ATV models.
4) Yamaha develops a new 4 stroke that fits into the Catalyst chassis without modifications (unlikely).
5) Sidewinder and SRViper are dropped after this year and Yamaha just sells blue Cats for a few more years until the contract and or demand is done.

That‘s it. The only way I’d buy a new Yamaha in the future is if #2 happens. Will it? Who knows.

Personal opinion is Textron wants Yamaha gone as fast as possible. Yamaha sells sleds just to support their ATV dealers in the winter months. If Textron can force Yamaha out completely they can gain a little sled market share but also most likely get a bigger piece of the market they really want (ATV) when Yamaha dealers switch to another brand to survive winters. Other than the 998 what does Yamaha bring to the table for Textron? Unless Textron is playing nice so Yamaha does the R&D on a EV motor they can share I see no reason to let Yamaha in on the Catalyst chassis.

The days for Yamaha are numbered. Once Arctic Cat stops making the Procross, Yamaha is done. Thats my guess.

The future is new 4s engines for the Catalyst will it be a Yamaha 4s or a Textron 4s? Personally market wise less is more for me. I would be happy with a lightweight 140hp to
150 Hp 4s trail cruiser with push button power modes and smart shocks. I don’t need 180 -200 hp for trail riding and think the Hp wars are out of control with all brands. Also eps.

Wasn't it mentioned on here recently that Yamaha signed a new long term agreement with Cat? I thought Mr. Knapp indicated 7 years? Perhaps I am mistaken.

Wasn't it mentioned on here recently that Yamaha signed a new long term agreement with Cat? I thought Mr. Knapp indicated 7 years? Perhaps I am mistaken.
Nothing official that I’ve heard or seen from dealers or magazines.

Odd number years are blue years for srx, even numbers are throw back years. Ned year blue again year after (26) will be the red a white with black hood I’m guessing.

Personal opinion is Textron wants Yamaha gone as fast as possible.
What?? Cat makes one engine and failed on a 800 2 smoke.. History says Cat needs a engine manufacturer and have used other engines then there own for many many years.. Sorry just can see this being true.. Hell Yamaha probably saved cats a$$ with the sidewinder motor.

What?? Cat makes one engine and failed on a 800 2 smoke.. History says Cat needs a engine manufacturer and have used other engines then there own for many many years.. Sorry just can see this being true.. Hell Yamaha probably saved cats a$$ with the sidewinder motor.
But does Textron think they need Yamaha? Cat (prior to Textron) sure did need Yamaha. Now cat has their own CTec's that are decent (not great) and I have to believe they have a 4stroke being built to do double duty in the ATV and Sled divisions. Anyway, just my opinion but I don't see Textron wanting this arrangement much longer.

But does Textron think they need Yamaha? Cat (prior to Textron) sure did need Yamaha. Now cat has their own CTec's that are decent (not great) and I have to believe they have a 4stroke being built to do double duty in the ATV and Sled divisions. Anyway, just my opinion but I don't see Textron wanting this arrangement much longer.
The arrangement isn't much different than textron building cat atvs as bass pro shops own atvs.

The arrangement isn't much different than textron building cat atvs as bass pro shops own atvs.
But Bass Pro & Cabelas are just outdoor stores, not power sports manufacturers. Yamaha and Cat are competitors with ATV’s and side by sides. They are still kind of competitors with sleds. A Cat dealer in the same area as a Yamaha dealer is very much in competition with the Yamaha dealer. To me, this is one of the main reasons this ”partnership“ makes no sense. At the corporate level, Textron/Cat may not care if they sell a sled to Yamaha or a customer but it’s just not sustainable over the long term. There is a big difference in this arrangement than GM selling clone vehicles like GMC trucks and Chevy trucks. They are all the same company.

One need only to look to the past in the automotive world to see how these arrangements have not been sustainable. GM no longer sells rebadged Suzuki Sidekicks, Dodge no longer sells rebadged Mitsubishis and Ford no longer sells rebadged Mazdas. Heck, Honda is no longer selling rebadged Isuzu Rodeos.

Ideally, Yamaha would go back to the basics and start manufacturing small, light weight, inexpensive sleds out of their U.S. ATV plant. Maybe they will be EV sleds but does Yamaha Canada have an R&D test facility?

Back