• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'22 LTX GT EPS has same dual rate springs as lowered Thundercat/SRX?

Phatboyc

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2022 Sidewinder
I just noticed, LTX GT EPS has same black dual rate springs as lowered Thundercat? I count 11 coils so same spring height as an SRX or Thundercat?

Was it to lower just the front to add ski pressure/bite since it doesn't mater anymore due to EPS? I doubt they would lower the back too otherwise what's the point of SRX.

1631719311650.png

Last edited:

Cant imagine doing just the front lower? I'm betting the rear on the sled you pictured has the lowered torsion springs.. Or shall I say torsion springs that are "clocked" differently. ALL THE SIDEWINDERS should be running the springs and torsions for a slightly lowered ride!

My xtx has the srx springs in the front and stock torsions in the rear and all is good. No different really than taking a bunch of preload out of the stock springs minus you dont get the excess body roll with the srx springs

I just noticed, LTX GT EPS has same black dual rate springs as lowered Thundercat? I count 11 coils so same spring height as an SRX or Thundercat?

Was it to lower just the front to add ski pressure/bite since it doesn't mater anymore due to EPS? I doubt they would lower the back too otherwise what's the point of SRX.

View attachment 162636
I'm interested to know if the rear springs are similar to the SRX as well.

I checked out the Yamaha models on their website, and the LTX GT EPS is listed as having dual rate front springs, but the non-EPS models (other than the SRX) do not have the dual rate springs. I have ordered an EPS model for my wife, and I am already jealous! It will be awesome if her sled corners as flat as the SRX does. I wonder if the use of the dual rate springs has something to do with the handling characteristics of a sled with power steering vs. one without power steering?

Then again you can get the Thundercat with or without PS...I'm curious if that selection affects rear spring.

We'll find out once the microfiche gets updated with '22 yam 998 engine on either website.

6-Cat%20Thundercat%20with%20EPS.jpg_1600.jpg

Last edited:
I personally think the gt models somehow have different springs even though they look similar. Only the srx states “low profile srx 137 suspension” as the viper and sidewinder gt’s says slightly lower front suspension.

But who knows, with Yamacats anything is possible lol..

I looked at all the LTX GT models on Yamaha's website, and the Sidewinder with EPS shows dual rate front springs, but the Sidewinder without EPS does not. Then I looked at the Viper LTX GT, and they say it is has the dual rate front springs. It doesn't seem to make any sense to put dual rates on the Viper GT and not the Sidewinder GT, so maybe they just need to work on their website and be consistent?

So, I guess the big question is what would you have to do to your LTX GT to get it to handle like an SRX? What makes up the SRX suspension? Does putting dual rates on the front essentially give you the same front end as an SRX? What would you have to do to the rear skid? Different torsion springs and different shocks, or is there more to it?

I believe the GT has the same front springs as the SRX. I'd like to know how the rear suspension compares.

I looked at all the LTX GT models on Yamaha's website, and the Sidewinder with EPS shows dual rate front springs, but the Sidewinder without EPS does not. Then I looked at the Viper LTX GT, and they say it is has the dual rate front springs. It doesn't seem to make any sense to put dual rates on the Viper GT and not the Sidewinder GT, so maybe they just need to work on their website and be consistent?

So, I guess the big question is what would you have to do to your LTX GT to get it to handle like an SRX? What makes up the SRX suspension? Does putting dual rates on the front essentially give you the same front end as an SRX? What would you have to do to the rear skid? Different torsion springs and different shocks, or is there more to it?
Correct, for lower height the SRX has front dual rate and different rear torsion. Which some guys have switched over and posted the result.

What I am more curious is to find out what and why they did diferently with EPS sleds springs front and/if rear. Cause if they run the same SRX spring height up front but with standard rear torsion. Without unbalancing the sled. Then this setup could be applied to people who run BOP PS or snowtrackers as these acts similar to EPS.

I would suspect the dual rate springs on the GT is for a more compliant ride since it’s ment to be a trail touring sled with the power steering.

I called my dealer to make the deal on the Sidewinder GT and he said that Yamaha has cancelled all of his in season orders. I hope my 22 XCR snowcheck shows up before the snow.

It will be really sad if there are no Sidewinders available in-season. I suspect that most potential buyers were not willing to commit to a spring order, and Yamaha will lose customers as a result. I wonder if it is a situation where Yamaha didn't have the ability to produce the engines in sufficient quantity, or whether it was AC being unwilling to allocate more time on the assembly line to the 4-stroke sleds? Maybe a little of both?

Correct, for lower height the SRX has front dual rate and different rear torsion. Which some guys have switched over and posted the result.

What I am more curious is to find out what and why they did diferently with EPS sleds springs front and/if rear. Cause if they run the same SRX spring height up front but with standard rear torsion. Without unbalancing the sled. Then this setup could be applied to people who run BOP PS or snowtrackers as these acts similar to EPS.
If the lowering of the SRX is simply due to the dual rate front springs, and a different torsion spring in the rear, it seems like the GT could be a real winner. Put on a different rear torsion spring, and you have an SRX with EPS and a 1.25" track; flat cornering, power steering and more traction sounds perfect to me.

If the lowering of the SRX is simply due to the dual rate front springs, and a different torsion spring in the rear, it seems like the GT could be a real winner. Put on a different rear torsion spring, and you have an SRX with EPS and a 1.25" track; flat cornering, power steering and more traction sounds perfect to me.
That was what I was thinking!

Back