• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

240 tune vs 270 tune

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
240 tune....$550?!?!
I hear some can ease the RPM 's with an xs825 belt. Some have said yes, some say you'll still need additional weight to correct.

270 tune (stock muffler) is $100 more, whatever?!?!
This seemingly adds Appx $2,000 in additional product. Stock muffler gets very hot. Probably will need a better flowing muffler. Bov becomes questionable and most likely need replacement. Dalton adjustable weights. May as well bundle it. Dash flash protocol. As well as xs825 belt, etc. Brings that up to $2500 +

Now I'm just passing the time during the off season...
If that is correct, the $1,800 for 30hp doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Considering the first 40hp cost a 1/3 of that.

I think I'm being quite realistic, no?!?!

TD ecotrail is $500 CAD before tax. Powertrail is $575
Not sure why you would be surprised that a tune that adds more HP would cost more before any other parts. Dollars per HP is actually a bit less with the higher tune.

Not sure why you would be surprised that a tune that adds more HP would cost more before any other parts. Dollars per HP is actually a bit less with the higher tune.

I think its the cost of the additional supporting hardware he is factoring in. $500 to go x fast, $1xxx.00 to get 30 more HP.

That's just addressing limitations of the stock sled. Want more HP, need to move more air.

TD ecotrail is $500 CAD before tax. Powertrail is $575

Just for arguments sake....

40hp gain = $600
75hp gain= $2500.

My numbers are askew this way or that way.
The bottom line is Appx, but probably close to reality.

A 240hp tune doesn't require the additional mods that a 270 tune would require.
So to go from 240 to 270. The additional 30/40hp costs $1800.
Was trying to sum things up & see if the group agrees or disagrees?

I ran 270 with just the flash, BOV, 3 bar, and some weights and spring. Got the weights used, springs are cheap, eBay for BOV, and no choice but to get the sensor from a tuner. About $1000 all in. Be thrifty and it won’t cost nearly as much.

I ran 270 with just the flash, BOV, 3 bar, and some weights and spring. Got the weights used, springs are cheap, eBay for BOV, and no choice but to get the sensor from a tuner. About $1000 all in. Be thrifty and it won’t cost nearly as much.

Hurricane or TD?

40hp gain = $600
75hp gain= $2500.

If you keep it at 250-260 you won't need the muffler, BOV and 3 bar sensor. Unless you're looking for a bit more noise.
I've done bundle maps 230-250-260 including dash flash without changing anything else. I just added some grams to the stock weights.

I have the TD Max Spool 16 tune for the stock map sensor. I changed the BOV, the belt(XS825), and the primary spring(because it broke).

Mine runs 16.5-16.8lbs of boost and 9,050 RPM on the trail, 9,250RPM on ice. I've seen 128 on the speedo/123 GPS.

I'd go for the 240 tune if the price difference was that much.

It’s all up to you!
Mild tunes are pretty cheap hp compared to years gone by when you needed full exhaust, porting, reeds, blah blah blah for what? 20-30 hp

Now you can go from 200 to 260-270 range for simply the price of a tune and just add a 3 bar and BOV, or just add a 2 bar tune if your worried about cost!

I will tell you what I’ve done and noticed!

Started with an EcoTrail Smm tune, 87 octane but really couldn’t feel anything much more then stock (seat of the pants) wise! Then tried the MS16 tunes, 91 octane, both the 2 bar and 3 bar tunes! Both of those are very noticeable difference,(seat of the pants) power wise! Problem is, if the trails that you ride are Big enough for that added quickness, you will wonder what the next step would do, and now you can talk headers, mufflers, closed loop systems, clutches, HI flow fuel pumps, etc etc!! Yep now you’re talking a bit of the Wild side tunes and more more money!!!

I can surely attest to the addiction that my sled can cause, with it’s insane pull on those medium sized trails that I ride!

Stock Winder pull is deceptively smooth throughout, and my mild tune is not, so as I was saying, It’s all up to you. What tune will be enough to keep you happy and satisfied!

40hp gain = $600
75hp gain= $2500.

Is there not another way of looking at this ?
The 240 SS Hurricane SM flash , is more aggressive and more expensive ,as there are minimum required add ons which up the price a "bit" ,over the basic 240 flash .
This option , cost wise, is kinda in between the other 2 options , and can probably still use the XS 825 upgrade to replace or minimize clutching changes .
Depends on what you are really trying to achieve.

Turbo guys are spoiled.

Buying a set of $600 pipes and $1500 worth of case porting, cylinder porting, and head work in 1990's money got us 35 HP on the old Tcats and it still needed lots of jetting and exhaust temp monitoring.

We get a lot of performance for the money today.

IMO, going past the 240 tune unless you want to support the rest with muffler mod, BOV, etc. is only worth it if you want the Xtra 30 - 40 HP. If you spend most of your time of the trail, the 240 will probably work well. I spent a lot of time and cash getting my 1100 to live on pump gas at 300HP. 95% of the time, the 240 tune I had previously would meet my needs. Its all about how much you want the other 5%. I viewed my upgrade as a science project more than a performance upgrade. I learned a lot and I love the sled. Not sure I would do that again. With that said, I start the learning curve over on my 2022 Tcat. Fortunately there are a lot of smart guys on this forum for support.

Regardless of the tune, there is always someone faster on Kevlar Lake.

I have the TD Max Spool 16 tune for the stock map sensor. I changed the BOV, the belt(XS825), and the primary spring(because it broke).

Mine runs 16.5-16.8lbs of boost and 9,050 RPM on the trail, 9,250RPM on ice. I've seen 128 on the speedo/123 GPS.

So....no change to clutch weight? Your stock muffler doesn't get extremely hot? How many miles on this set-up? Ty...
Stock Winder pull is deceptively smooth throughout, and my mild tune is not, so as I was saying, It’s all up to you. What tune will be enough to keep you happy and satisfied!

Just debating the 240hp & 270hp range. 240 is seemingly a simple tune. The 270hp may or may not, incur significantly more dollars past the cost of the tune. Muffler, bov, etc.
Then there's the bundle tune and flasher debacle....lol.

Turbo guys are spoiled.

Buying a set of $600 pipes and $1500 worth of case porting, cylinder porting, and head work in 1990's money got us 35 HP on the old Tcats and it still needed lots of jetting and exhaust temp monitoring.

We get a lot of performance for the money today.

IMO, going past the 240 tune unless you want to support the rest with muffler mod, BOV, etc. is only worth it if you want the Xtra 30 - 40 HP. If you spend most of your time of the trail, the 240 will probably work well. I spent a lot of time and cash getting my 1100 to live on pump gas at 300HP. 95% of the time, the 240 tune I had previously would meet my needs. Its all about how much you want the other 5%. I viewed my upgrade as a science project more than a performance upgrade. I learned a lot and I love the sled. Not sure I would do that again. With that said, I start the learning curve over on my 2022 Tcat. Fortunately there are a lot of smart guys on this forum for support.

Regardless of the tune, there is always someone faster on Kevlar Lake.
I'm with you.....

Back