• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2nd gen dalton b/o spring

Jd2859

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 sidewinder LTX GT
For the guys that have the new style b/0 secondary spring and running a 8jp belt what are u wrapping the spring at? currently using dalton 35 helix and thunder products rollers and have it wrapped 6-2 but noticed secondary got a little hot and had some belt slip on take off

I've been running 90* on the Version #2 B/O using the XS825 which grips better than the 8JP all day long.

You will never get belt slip in the secondary on the hole shot however, in the secondary you will only get slippage in the upper ranges of the shift ratio. Slippage in the primary is from the front clutch not gripping the belt the first half of the shift ratio hard enough.

I've been running 90* on the Version #2 B/O using the XS825 which grips better than the 8JP all day long.

You will never get belt slip in the secondary on the hole shot however, in the secondary you will only get slippage in the upper ranges of the shift ratio. Slippage in the primary is from the front clutch not gripping the belt the first half of the shift ratio hard enough.
yea I have 3 new xs825’s for next season but I figured I’d run the 8jp for the grass season since it’s newish

Knapp I plan to run max spool 17 and 20 next season can I get by with the v2 B/O wrapped at 80 to 90 with a 8jp and xs825 or is there another spring u suggest I use?

If you're slipping in the "hole shot" (primary) you need more heel weight on the primary arms. You will have black skid marks down low in the primary sheaves if this is happening. Just don't confuse this for being light overall in the primary because you will be chasing your tail

If you're slipping in the "hole shot" (primary) you need more heel weight on the primary arms. You will have black skid marks down low in the primary sheaves if this is happening. Just don't confuse this for being light overall in the primary because you will be chasing your tail
I was slipping in the secondary on take off I cleaned my clutches with scotch bright pad and brake clean before I tested and u can see where the belt polished the secondary primary is good from what I can tell I’m running 911 cover dalton dtya 1 at 76g dalton blk/gre glide washers and TP 14.8 rollers in the primary

I gotta see pics of this slippage in the secondary on the hole shot! It just can't happen unless they're is zero tension in the secondary and the sled would not even move.

I was slipping in the secondary on take off I cleaned my clutches with scotch bright pad and brake clean before I tested and u can see where the belt polished the secondary primary is good from what I can tell I’m running 911 cover dalton dtya 1 at 76g dalton blk/gre glide washers and TP 14.8 rollers in the primary

Like I mentioned earlier. It is not slipping in the secondary in the low end, its not possible because of the grip surface the belt has. In low range it slips on the primary and hi speeds it slips in the secondary, not the other way around.

It's possible you are seeing polishing from being out of alignment in low ratio and the belt may polish one side of the secondary, but no way, no how will you slip the belt in the secondary in low ratio, just never going to happen ever. Primary clutch will always slip on the belt in low ratio, even if you don't see black there is always a percentage of slippage as the surface area can not grip the belt hard enough in low range with good traction.

Secondary on the winder will slip at high speeds, like up around 100 any up without enough secondary pressure only. Unless you have a broken secondary spring or something it may be lower than that, but otherwise the belt will never slip in secondary in low range.

Unless, you got oil on the belt from dripping from airbox or something stupid like that, then who knows, it's going to slip like a banshee.

Like I mentioned earlier. It is not slipping in the secondary in the low end, its not possible because of the grip surface the belt has. In low range it slips on the primary and hi speeds it slips in the secondary, not the other way around.

It's possible you are seeing polishing from being out of alignment in low ratio and the belt may polish one side of the secondary, but no way, no how will you slip the belt in the secondary in low ratio, just never going to happen ever. Primary clutch will always slip on the belt in low ratio, even if you don't see black there is always a percentage of slippage as the surface area can not grip the belt hard enough in low range with good traction.

Secondary on the winder will slip at high speeds, like up around 100 any up without enough secondary pressure only. Unless you have a broken secondary spring or something it may be lower than that, but otherwise the belt will never slip in secondary in low range.

Unless, you got oil on the belt from dripping from airbox or something stupid like that, then who knows, it's going to slip like a banshee.
Thanks for the info Knapp I have been looking at every clutch thread possible to get an idea of what set up to run for 275-300hp and have seen pics of slippage and I figure that my belt was doing just that but make sense with alignment I’m around 61.5 with the shim and have been told 58mm is the Magic number so that next on my to do list

Back