• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

3 ways square ski geometries cause darting

Good article great skiis! Although I clamp 2 1/2 ground tool bit blanks... to the outside of the front scag bolt and the rear (with vise grips) and use a tape off the inside of the bit to the center of the bolt in the opposite ski, figuring and assuming the scag sit straight in the ski...if it doesnt, oh well...... I also added shims to create more heel pressure, which makes steering a little harder but returns straight if I screw up. Pressure in front of the spindle can make for some evil darting. It would be cool to have an adjustment for heel pressure. Ski doo did back in the old days...can't remember what year, or ski...had so many ski doos....lol.

Never seen a smoother ride since i installed my snowtrackers. Absolutely 0 darting. Still push a touch in loose snow though.

I guess I should have said they dart when conditions are right as I believe most skis will do. Especially if a ski similar to yours was ahead of you. You fall into those tracks and end up darting or tracking with them. I'm very good at setting up ski alignment and mine are right on. I follow exactly the way described in the link. Which is the same way I did them back in the 70's. My front shock preload at 5mm, center shock at around 15 mm to help with the harder steering from the Curve skis and rear torsion on "M" transfer rods nuts all the way down. All shocks revalved by Hygear for my weight and riding style. This is the best this sled has handled since new. ( took many trial and errors and add-ons to get it there). So occasional darting is not a big deal. I just didn't like someone saying they are perfect out of the box and don't dart. Remember the dual runner ski was the fix all for darting until everyone else started getting them and you fell into their tracks!! Seemed more like a sales pitch.

Pete

I get occasional darting with curves, usually off throttle and slowing down it may catch deep grooves from other aggressive skis that have gone through prior. I started life on a phazer with stock skis and shaper bars, that is the definition of darting! I can easily ride with one hand on the bars now with curves on my nytro. Perfect? Nope. But they are overall fantastic.

This is the best this sled has handled since new.

So glad to hear that!

took many trial and errors and add-ons to get it there

You're 100% right, there is no out of the box cure-all.

took many trial and errors and add-ons to get it there
I just didn't like someone saying they are perfect out of the box and don't dart. Remember the dual runner ski was the fix all for darting until everyone else started getting them and you fell into their tracks!! Seemed more like a sales pitch

Was supposed to be more of an explainer as to why Curve set out to build a ski without a square geometry, but could see how that sounds like a sales pitch too. Good feedback Pete! I'm deliberating as to whether or not I should tell you about the leading edge, don't want you to think I'm giving you a sales pitch! But it was engineered to erase the ruts in front of you, especially if they are on the icier side. Maybe someone who rides with leading edges can chime in.

Back