• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

3500 miles driveshaft and bearing smoked

snowbeast

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 apex xtx traded for a 2017 sidewinder L-tx-le
FACEBOOK
yes
YOUTUBE
yes
Check out your driveshaft and bearing,mine are junk,as long as I still have 3 year warrenty I will be ok,team woody in maine said they change these two parts out every 5,000 miles,well mine did not make it that far,and because my track was floating around my inside idler wheels are shot to,but that is not a warrenty item.

Well good news is my upper 22 gear is perfect and bottom gear,chain also very good,but was out 4 turns,and even though the roller keeps tension on chain,it was still whipping enough to make marks on left side of case,looking straight at it,with case still bolted on.

Mine still looks good. 3500 miles on it. Regreesed the bearing and put it back together.
Did you ever peen the shaft like rockerdan did the video on? When I get new parts in,i will put bearing lock on race and peen it,so this never happens again.

Well good news is my upper 22 gear is perfect and bottom gear,chain also very good,but was out 4 turns,and even though the roller keeps tension on chain,it was still whipping enough to make marks on left side of case,looking straight at it,with case still bolted on.

Glad you found that problem at home and not on the trail away from all.

I checked mine out last week. Greased it for the first time at 3100 miles and also did the bearing out back of the driven clutch, second time on that one, once last season and again now.

Wondering how many miles since you checked your chain tension?

Mine stretched quite a bit between the 500 and 1100 chaincase maintenance during the first season on my 2017. It stretched quite a bit, went from 6 turns showing to only 3 once adjusted. Also did some internal damage, but to the inner case nub. About a 1/4” of wear. Looked exact to Cannondale’s pic of what the Vipers were known for!! But has not stretched any since.

High maintenance sleds for sure. Have never had any Yamahas’ do that, and yes that was before a tune in case you we’re wondering.

Had a hyvo chain on my doo RT and it barely stretched in the 9 years i owned it. And it was dyno'd at 182 hp riding it like i stole it. I'm very disappointed in the quality of this so called hyvo chain. Mine has stretched as bad or worse than others too.

Pete, you got any pics of the shaft? By smoked I'm guessing it was spinning on the race? Mine looked fine but peened it when i greased it anyway. I only got 1450 miles on mine season one tho.

Noone has come up with bearing with set screw that will fit here i guess?

Dan

My driveshaft was all replaced under warrantee I'm at 9000km. I had around 3000.00 worth of warrantee work covered.

Pete, you got any pics of the shaft? By smoked I'm guessing it was spinning on the race? Mine looked fine but peened it when i greased it anyway. I only got 1450 miles on mine season one tho.

Noone has come up with bearing with set screw that will fit here i guess?

Dan
Yes Dan,spinning bad,when we built the sled back to life in 17 it was after anyone understood there may be problems with the driveshaft and bearing,but now I guess it is becoming a problem,and on top of that,my track may have been moving around quite a bit,and scrubbing of rubber on inside idler wheels. There is around .050 movement between race and shaft Dia.that race rides on,in fact so bad,we had a very tough time removing rotor,because of the bearing moving so much,it peeled metal up onto area where snap ring goes.

Glad you found that problem at home and not on the trail away from all.

I checked mine out last week. Greased it for the first time at 3100 miles and also did the bearing out back of the driven clutch, second time on that one, once last season and again now.

Wondering how many miles since you checked your chain tension?

Mine stretched quite a bit between the 500 and 1100 chaincase maintenance during the first season on my 2017. It stretched quite a bit, went from 6 turns showing to only 3 once adjusted. Also did some internal damage, but to the inner case nub. About a 1/4” of wear. Looked exact to Cannondale’s pic of what the Vipers were known for!! But has not stretched any since.

High maintenance sleds for sure. Have never had any Yamahas’ do that, and yes that was before a tune in case you we’re wondering.
Oh yes Dennis,man that would of sucked to have it fail out in the middle of knowhere,and most of us today don't carry a tow rope,you know 4 stroke thing,we are always good,just 2 smokes that need a rope,well the more and more this is built by Cat,i am not so sure any more.

My rotar was replaced under warrantee as well.

My rotar was replaced under warrantee as well.
The rotor appears to be ok now that we have it out,and can see the raised material that the bad bearing seemed to have made while bouncing up and down,more than likely why my sled semed down on power last year,or unable to top end well.

Back