• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4 stroke for 16 year old

steveg_nh

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak
I am at the point where I want to move my boys over to 4 strokes from their 2 strokes, starting with my older son who is still riding a Polaris 550 fan. He will be 16 next month and is driving. He's a good sledder but sometimes I wish he'd not love the rush of the throttle. He's not crazy but I don't want to put too much power under him.

I just bought an Attak and I would never want him on that. Way too much get up and go.

But if I want him on a Yamaha is my only option a Vector? It's not that much less powerful as I understand it. And an RX-1 is the same or. Sry close to the same motor I have I believe. I definitely want fuel injection. No more carbs.

Any advice on this? Thanks guys.

I must have been living under a rock. Didn't even think about a Phazer. I'll look into that, good idea. Just want to be sure we get something with reverse as well as 4 stroke. I noticed base specs on a Phazer from 2006 did not have reverse. Also, I will do my research, but what was the first year they offered the Phazer with EFI vs carbs?

The 4 stroke phazer came out in 07. Many first year issues on the 07's, so if you are not educated on them its best to search for an 08 +. If o7 owners were on top of things they would likely have had most of the updates done, so you don't have to shy away from all 07, but just do your homework to make sure it was updated. Lots of good info in the phazer section.

Thanks. Just read a bunch on them. Saw issues with overheating, steering, cold starting, broken suspension parts, etc. I know you only read about the issues, but good data points.

Is Phazer and Vector the only 4 strokes around 2006-2008 that aren't the Apex/Attak? More research for me.

Just bought a 2017 Phazer for my boy who is also 16. Before that when he started riding at age 14 I bought him a 2012 Phazer GT which he put 7000 miles on with no troubles whatsoever. I think it's a perfect sled for the boys as it's very close to a dirt bike style of riding and it's super light. All those problems you're reading about are the early ones stick to a 2010 or newer and you will be fine.

I always look for posts about the newer phazers but for some reason it seems like nobody is buying them. I think they were great sled and don't kid yourself for a 500cc 4-stroke it is very quick

Thanks. Budget wise, doubt I want to spend for a 2010. Heck, my "new" sled is a 2007. :D

well i bought a 09 phazer rtx that was rode hard for $3000 last fall. managed to get 2000km on it in febuary/march with only some minor maintence to replace worn out wheels, the shock link part, skis, oil change and a tune up. sled now has 14000km on it and i am turning it into an xtx model this year as it needs a track and i did not like how one of the rails looked when it was repaired by previous owner. one lower control arm has to be done as one of the fox float shocks froze in mid travel and bent the arm but i enjoyed riding it last season.

I have an 07 that my oldest rode till he was 18, now my youngest has been on it for the last 3 years, will be 16 this month. Zero complaints from either, fun sled. You can find them cheap with low miles. Put an Ultra Q on it an they will really love it..

The early nytro was a 3 holer in an Rx chassis but is carbed you could put a govener in an early Apex or just duct tape his thumb down. My step daughter drove an rx-1 from 13 to 18 and was wicked good on them even rode the rapex a few rides with 190 hp

My pre-teen and teen Daughters ran RX-1's, Apexs and 1200 Doos without issues. My Neighbors son also runs his 2011 Apex too. Don't see any problem putting him on an Apex or any of the four strokes out there. I'd get him a Nytro if it has to be a Yamaha, but the better choice would be a light weight 900 or 1200 Doo by far. 900 Doo is lightest four stroke out there right now and only like 90-95 HP too.

Thanks. I really like the vector for him but was worried about it being too much sled. Maybe not.

I bought an 2008 Vector for a backup sled and to try to get my wife into the sport. She never did but my 16 yr old son did. He logged on three seasons on that Vector with no issues and when my Attak was down for repairs it was a great backup for me.
Don't fool yourself, I bet your 16yr old can handle more than you think he can or more than you want him to.

Back