• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

42" Skinz Front End worth it for RTX trail sled?

JP_YFZ

Hey Guys,

I am thinking hard about buying the Skinz 42" front end for my '11 RTX. I live in upstate NY and ride all trails (most groomed, some not) and ditches. I was hoping to get everyone's opinion about it on before spending that much cash. The Warden (wife) put the squash on a new Viper so I will be running the RTX for another year or so. Something about paying the mortgage, blah, blah.
I run C&A Pro TRX skis with 4" carbides, with the OFT relocator. Overall the sled handles most everything I put it through really well, except tight twisty trails. Not sure if the Skinz front will help there? Thing is a mother to turn in those types of trails. I don't want to give up on the C&As because they really keep the darting under control and I feel confident that the sled will stick on the fast sweeping corners. Anyone ever compare Split Rail skis VS Skinz front end?

Thanks!

I'd look into the mountaintech front end, cheaper, can use stock shocks, and his products are top notch.

birdmayon said:
I'd look into the mountaintech front end, cheaper, can use stock shocks, and his products are top notch.

I will second this, I have the Mountaintech front end, and it is great. It is very adjustable, so you can set it up how you want it! It really rails in the corners on tight trails.

JP,
Maybe ride some of the same trails as you up on Tug Hill, surrounding areas??

I got an '09 RTX with OFT re-locator and run the tuner skis with 4" carbides on all, it handles without darting and stays planted all day long even in the tighter wooded stuff, run my floats at 75 psi.
Get the little forward lean into it thing going and no problems.

The skinz is worth it.. Makes it a whole different sled! It's now predictable and I can ride it harder with much less effort than before. I put 7300 miles on mine before trying the skinz and don't regret it one bit.

I have the Mountaintech 38" a arms on order with stabilier mounts since I run the stabilizer bar. I have researched the other companies who build them, but I believe Mountaintech a arms are the best fit for me. I like the adjustable castor and camber. I plan on adjusting my spindles to 2.5mm negative camber to mimic the mod of machining 2.5mm from upper ball joint. I also plan on adjusting castor to 23 degrees on both sides regardless if my subframe is tweaked. No other a arm offers those options and I think it is a brilliant idea. Although, I haven't tried them, I am confident based on the positive feedback of +3 forward design. Plus they are cheaper than Skinz or Zbros. I am sure all the other manufacturers make a fine product, but I find Mountaintech most interesting and practical for me.

Thanks for the info everyone. I was googling split rail + nytro right after I posted this and I found a set of split rails used, with carbines in good condition for $400. I hit commit to buy before I knew what happened. I have read good things about them and the price seemed right. I hope I didn't just waste $400 bucks only to buy the Skinz front end this summer! Anyone run the Skinz seat on a trail sled? I love the look of it with the under tunnel setup and storage bag. Everyone says its too firm. I used to trail ride MX bikes for hours. Is it harder then a bike seat? Can't be more narrow?

Back