• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

500 mp ignition issues

Newtomemp

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 mp 500
Hey everyone, glad to be a Yamaha owner now, I noticed my 08 mp 500 glitch when I turned the key on but then was fine. Parked it in the garage and after a few hours went out turned the key on and I have no display and no power to start. Checked all fuses ok, if I jump the solenoid it cranks . Bat voltage is good. If I put power to the back of the ignition switch everything lights up. Any other ideas . Thanks

sounds like you need to pull/swap the relays and see if that makes a difference as well as pull the plug off the back of the ignition and check for green terminals there.

btw, you did make sure the kill switch is in the run position i hope.

sounds like you need to pull/swap the relays and see if that makes a difference as well as pull the plug off the back of the ignition and check for green terminals there.

btw, you did make sure the kill switch is in the run position i hope.

Yup kill switch is in run, I can’t find where the relays are? Found fuses and solenoid but no relays yet. Where are they located?

from what i see in parts fiche, they are on right side of sled probably around the battery but i have never had to play with them.

Check your ground blocks. It's taped up under the wiring bundle between the radiator and oil tank. Also check the ground wire that runs from the battery to a spade connector. It can corrode.

The relays are just under the battery behind the ECU. There's a bunch of them. You'd need a manual with the schematics to figure out which is which by wire colour.

T
from what i see in parts fiche, they are on right side of sled probably around the battery but i have never had to play with them.

Thanks I’ll look in the morning

Check your ground blocks. It's taped up under the wiring bundle between the radiator and oil tank. Also check the ground wire that runs from the battery to a spade connector. It can corrode.

The relays are just under the battery behind the ECU. There's a bunch of them. You'd need a manual with the schematics to figure out which is which by wire colour.

Ok thanks. I’m gonna look for sure also ordering a manual. What do you guys run for front spring tension on a side note. Mine are backed right off

Thank you for the help on this issue, found the ignition switch shorted out internally. Now when it starts it runs off the starter until I give it fuel?? Any ideas?? Happy trails

Last edited:
You mean it doesn't start unless you crack the throttle open? How cold is it? You're near North Bay right? Shouldn't be that cold yet. Maybe old gas?

old gas would be my bet too.

That would make sense, previous owner said it’s only been used a couple times in the last 2 years. I’m gonna drain the system and put new gas in. I’ll let ya know how it goes, thanks guys

Well my issue is getting progressively worse. So I’ve flushed the fuel system, all new gas. Now when I start the machine either cold outside or warm in the garage I have to hold the key on for machine to keep running. Do not need to give it any fuel but. Now I have to start driving it holding key on and then the cluster blinks and it stays running.?? Any ideas? I did buy a non OEM key cyl I may order a Yamaha one.

The ignition switch is pretty simple with four wires to it and would actually be very easy to hot wire. Just have to check the schematics which to jump. One jump to turn on ignition and another for the starter. Sounds like the switch you got is wired incorrectly or the connector is flipped.

Back