• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

5000 mile observations

petey_sx700

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX DX
2017 Viper STX DX 146
2013 Vector
2018 SRX 120
Just rolled over 5000 miles on my 2014 LTX DX. At new replaced front shocks with Float 3. And added tuner skis at 400 miles(seemed to push on first trip). First year was stock and had 2500 miles. Ran awesome. Everthing was tight and handles like a dream. Love the seating position and steering. Was a little short on pulls over 60 mph. So second year added the Hurricane 190 kit. With Daves clutch and aem guage kit. Love the power and now outruns anything Ive came up against. Pulls to 100 in any conditions. Overall could not be happier.

Some have been dogging the idea of Cat building Yamaha snowmobiles. There will always be some that bleed blue and want it to come over on a boat. I was a little leery myself at first but am now sold on the marriage and believe it has great things to come.

As for maintenance this Viper has been awesome. The slides lasted 3700 miles and I have replace with duponts. Which have gotten warm a couple times since(never did stock). But they look great. Had one hose clamp leak water at the tail end of the first year(two turns with screwdriver). Did all four 6 inch woody carbides at 3500 miles. And oil changes go fairly well with advice from here on how to cut an old oil quart container.

As for comparison by 5000 miles on my 07 Apex I had been through 18 small bogie wheels and 4 sets of slides. Had great power all through to 100 plus but was no fun off trail. 08 Nytro at 5000 miles had replaced track with all open windows and extrovert drivers to end the racheting and 3 sets of slides before i began using arctic cat bogie wheels. Plus needed at least 3 push rivets replaced at each oil change. Nytro was a blast off trail(09XTX). Viper outhandles both on trail and off imho.

Have heard some new cats having trouble tearing out inside of track(racheting). I think that Yamaha has taken what they learned and improved Cat and the best of both worlds has created the best machine to date. Excited for March 1. As I hope the 4 cylinder and EPS move to production in the USA. And maybe the new chasis parts are stamped in Japan!

I have to agree that was a genuine review! ;)!;)!;)! My wife and my self absolutely love every aspect of this build from seat positioning, gauge accuracy/options, power/torque (but will have turbo by next season "want more syndrome"...lol) the overall look:bling, suspension....... If we were to buy new sleds we would both stick with the Viper! Just a fun sled to ride!! As much as you read the negative here I can say many many of us just gas and go with 0 issues

Yes I would add the Hurricane 190 kit again in an instant. The install was very straight forward. My uncle is a snowmobile mechanic at a Polaris dealer and has raced in the past. He was very impressed with the fit of the turbo. We took our time and the install took a little over seven hours(with clutch kit and gauges). The second one on my cousins sled we did without my uncle in about the same time! Dave was very helpful with a couple of routing questions I had on the oil lines. Overall I think it fits in the chassis very well!

Power is awesome! Had a AAEN pipe on my Nytro and thought that performed very well but this machine pulls on your arms like crazy. Love the 3 cylinder sound and smoothness at 30mph the Apex didn't offer. My Dad has a natural Viper after his power steering apex and is tempted to add the turbo. He was nervous about fuel mileage but every time we have filled with over 80 miles on a tank this year my viper with hurricane kit has done better than his NA.

Everything has been gas and go and I am super impressed!

Back