• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

509 Carbon Altitude Helmut & XL5 Sininster Goggles

Tommyboy

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Nytro
So I purchased 509 carbon fibre altitude helmet with XL5 goggles (20% more foam) and Klim Arctic balaclava, rode Sunday -20c and froze my forehead. My issue is with the vents on the forehead just below the shield/visor. There should be vent controls here for sure. Every other helmet I've worn previously has this at a fraction of the cost. Granted I'm pleased with the light weight factor for sure but riding on high speed trails in temperatures that will certainly be colder will be an issue. I've sent 509 an email asking if they have a properly fitting molded plug or something, waiting for a response. If I have to stick putty or tape on a $500+ bucket, I'll be pissed.

It should have came with cold weather plugs for those front vents. I have mine plugged off. Also I taped up the other vents on the top also. Just pull the top foam out to get access to them. Fixed any remains draft. I love the 509 set up.

I just tried your set up with the altitude and sinister goggles. I find it very noisy on the Sidewinder over 100km/he, do you experience this?

Mines no louder then any other helmet ive worn. Id day its even quieter. The visor catches a bit of wind on the fast lake runs but the helmet doesnt make any noise? If your vents are open it may seem louder because air is moving through there.

I don’t see how you close any vents, did you tape yours or am I missing something.

You have to remove the liner. Then on the inside you can see the vents. all new helmets came with cold weather plugs for the front two vents. The other vent holes I taped over with good duct tape. I trail ride so I don’t like all the extra ventilation. I’m sure taping them over would reduce some noise also.

In my experience the helmet is colder than a traditional helmet, but I've ridden in colder than -30c for the past two years. This year I tried the black opps balaclava from FXR and it's much better than the Klim I initially listed. As for the noise, I believe it is more noisy than traditional style helmet but I still prefer the light weight as all of my riding is touring.
I did tape up the vents underneath the shield. I also cut small pieces of tape inside the nose piece of the goggle. Hope that helps

I would love to see what those plugs look like. I hope I didn't throw them out with the box. I agree 100%, the 509 Altitude Carbon is not a cold weather helmet. I have frost-bit the skin between my eyes a number of times now and the Balaclava has no effect on this air movement.

The helmet is designed to move air into the goggles, which makes sense to rid it of fog. But it also freezes that area on the forehead and between the eyes. This doesn't even mention that the Carbon Fiber helmets turn into a friggin' brick below zero Fahrenheit. That's an ear ripper in sub zero temps.

Took my liner out and see that I have 4 plugs in there already so I’m wondering if taping up the other vents will make a difference. At speed I can’t even hear my snowmobile, it’s all wind. I can hear it if I turn my head sideways. I think I’m done with it!

Took my liner out and see that I have 4 plugs in there already so I’m wondering if taping up the other vents will make a difference. At speed I can’t even hear my snowmobile, it’s all wind. I can hear it if I turn my head sideways. I think I’m done with it!
Not here to sell ya a helmet. I love mine as does my wife. Will never go back to the fish bowel of a full face helmet. Loudest, coldest, windy helmet I ever wore. Every helmet fits people different. A lot of it may be your dealer also. We had tons of help from our dealer getting the helmets just right for what we wanted. I didn’t just buy on line. Tried a few on with goggles before I decided. Good luck with whatever you chose.

I bought the carbon fiber model and also experienced the frozen forehead issue. I changed to a different balaclava and it's really made a huge different. I also had to learn how to adjust the Sinister goggles into the facepiece (behind the nose cone) and this made the biggest difference. The helmet is extremely light - which was the biggest advantage I needed. My old Bombardier helmet was much warmer but also a lot heavier.

I may have to put that faceplate back in. I took it out as it made it difficult to get the sinister goggles in place. Especially when using the 509 verison of Quick straps. That faceplate does block the vents up front. I will have to play with it this fall.

I like the look and feel of the helmet. But cold, and frostbite negates those benefits.

I should have had Chris Burandt sign my visor at Haydays with a paint pen. I wasn't thinking.

I have the 509 Carbon fiber Altitude with the Sinusters. Great helmet once I got the mask in the right spot. I added the plugs to the top.

Been using the C2 Carbon helmet for 4 yrs. and a Moto style for close to 20. Simple solution for wind noise..... Ear plugs. I wear a very soft version of disposable called Laser Lites. Low pressure and can be worn for hours with NO discomfort. I recently purchased a DeltaR3 ver. 1. I'll reserve comment until I use it with the upgraded shield and chin curtain. Original,setup failed miserably. The Moto style isn't for everyone. Fortunately , we all have options and opinions lol!

I have the 509 Carbon fiber Altitude with the Sinusters. Great helmet once I got the mask in the right spot. I added the plugs to the top.

Where can I find those plugs? Or were they in the box with the helmet?

We put on 250 miles this past week, and in the warmer weather, this helmet really works well. I do have to be sure to flip my goggles off if I am the least bit sweaty and not moving, as fog and frost are sure to come.

I also had some quality time with the new prescription inserts in my Sinister XL5 goggles. It is sure nice to be able to see clearly at the speeds we ride!! They are a bit more sensitive to fog, but again, I just need to flip them off when stopped or getting warm. When cold, they stay clear just as the goggles should. If you get frost between the goggle and lens though, you are done. But that only happened a week ago riding in a 40mph Blizzard. We stuffed the sleds, got sweaty and asked for it.

Good luck guys!

Back