• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

7 inch "bigscreen" GPS(Garmin 2757) on Sidewinder/Crash pad

ROCKERDAN

OCD Sledhead
Country
Other
Snowmobile
'18 RTX 50th "Winder"
Tom likes my 7" Garmin setup on my 1200 so much he asked me if I would duplicate the setup on his SW. Turned out awesome!

I have tons of details on this install on my 1200 4tec, so I will link that thread here if anyone wants to dive into this install. It became so popular last season and this season, that you cannot even find a 2797 Garmin model anymore(new or refurb). Here is that massive thread: http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1152625-garmin-7-inch-model-2797-mounted-on-risercrash-pad/

There is a similar model that has the same body and uses all the same mounts, only difference is Toms 2757 does not have Bluetooth or voice recognition, for many this wont matter and we were able to find this model still at GPScity.ca or .com....As a refurb which are fine as they are all gone through and have warranty.

The most questions asked there were about being waterproof & working in cold temps. After 2 seasons now I can say the cold does not bother it at all, worked on many days down around minus 25c without any issue. Since I wire it into the sleds +12v power(switched) there is no issue with battery either. It is NOT waterproof, but since it's not that means its not super pricey like a typical motorcycle type GPS(Zumo series) This is a Nuvi series which are automotive, and work well with Glare on sunny days.

What I did and recommend, is taking some clear silicone around the screen to seal the screen to frame, just for those days were you get wet snow....This is just a precaution and it wont need it on clear days or even light snow or snowdust, its more for wet snow and rain. I also slap a piece of vinyl tape over the large rear speaker to keep snowdust out, no issues whatsoever and its seen lots of miles/snowdust.

Some pics....You can seee my 1200 with same setup in last pic.

Dan

IMG_8919.JPG
IMG_8920.JPG
IMG_8921.JPG
IMG_8909.JPG

Last edited:

I did redid mine the other day replacing my 255w with the 2757 and all I can say is wow! With the small screen if you zoomed out you couldn't see enough detail to plan and if you zoomed in the next intersection was always off the screen. I used the same ball that I have mounted to the riser and get my power from Rocks Smart supply through a 12" USB cable from 3BR.

I have been running GPS for well over 10 yrs now....Back then it was a simple handheld mounted to the bars, and each season got bigger and better.....in 2014 I got a Nuvi 500 which was nice,and it had trails on the maps...It was only a 3.5" though and even though it did alot, it was still small. I then found mounting it on crash pad made it so much easier to not only see, but many times you need to zoom or tap on screen, and this allow for ease of use..not having to stop each time. I will never mount one on dash anymore once you have it on crash pad its so close and easy to use, and see.....there is simply no setup that works so well as the massive 7 inch bigscreen!

It has safely brought me and a group across many lakes where its snowing so hard you cannot see 5 feet...this allows you to avoid rivers and open water and ride with confidence home....potential life saver. When there is fog or just a dark night, with all our lakes the bigscreen just gives peace of mind. Not too mention top speed!

More pics...

IMG_8917.JPG
IMG_8918.JPG
IMG_8912.JPG
IMG_8922.JPG
IMG_8916.JPG

Last edited:
Fits the SW even better then my 1200.....due to the post/riser being more forward on SW in comparison to where you stand up ride on the Doo. Makes a real nice fit, and I have it installed at the perfect viewing angle to your eyes, and just below the stock gauges for easy line of sight.

Also i like the "key on" feature of the SW(doo does not have a key) so its nice to be able to turn key on and have full power to GPS for trailside without worry of internal battery going low. Also this is nice as the GPS fires up automatically when you start your sled(just like in my truck) and will be ON when you start riding, no having to push a button, you drive away and your bigscreen is ON. Same at night, just turn sled off and GPS turns OFF and no worries of battery drain when installed this way.

Dan

Last edited:
Another awesome feature.....Last year I still had my previous truck, which did not have a GPS, nor did it have BT/Hands free as the truck we abit older. So I use this GPS in my truck.....and the old truck I used the hands free for phone calls and also the voice command(2797 model only). With my new ram this yr I did not order the truck with GPS since this one is so darn nice, and now my ram truck does not have to choose between GPS or Radio/8" screen. I have the garmin setup in the new ram now.

As a side note, the 2797 I have will show my texts coming thru on screen, and yes i can take calls thru BT on my sled, nice when riding and dont want to miss your buds call and where to meet him.

Here is a video of my older truck, how I had it setup....the beauty of this is for a 200 dollar GPS you can use it both in truck and sled, and switch from one to other in seconds! You would only need to buy a 2nd garmin power cradle, as the one that comes with it we BOLTED directly to the RAM cradle for "rough use".

VIDEO: Older Video when I got the 1200

Last edited:
I had one of them little guys to but had to quit listening to him cause he was spending all my money.

Nice install. Now you can get a suntan while riding from that big screen :p

Back