• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

87 moto 4 350 has no spark

billyguyton

I have a moto 4 it sat for 2 yrs they said it ran good before parked I purchased it got home no spark I put a cdi box on coil, plug and stator and pickup coil kit and still no spark. I was told switch is bad now but if you turn key on pull switch back push start button motor spins the neutral light comes on put in gear it goes out . please any help man would make me feel better it has compression fuse good man I just don't know what to do

I was told the magneto might be bad how can I tell I just cant keep buying parts or the gap is not right but when you put the pickup coils in they have no ajustments and the same goes for the stator

have you cleaned the kill switch yet? the contacts get dirty over time and sometimes do not make good enough contact for it to run. kind of going through the same thing on a 1988 bigbear right now but in my case it might just be water in the switch as my cause of no fire. getting into it tomorrow or friday for shure.

I didn't know how it work I know you can turn the key on and pull switch back and push the button the motor will spin while the motor is turning you can push the switch off the motor will stop turning but with it doing that I took it that it was good but I sure will do that is this a very common problem with moto 4 I trade a 400 sport Polaris for it because I wonted something to hunt off of think I made bad trade I let you know how it works thanks

Well in my case it ran up until the ignition tumbler set failed. New ignition installed and I have no fire at all. Kill switch coming apart tomorrow before I dive into the wiring.

took the switch apart cleaned real good put it back on still nothing I put a ohm meter on the wire coming from cdi to coil orange wire and the number are not consistent they is it supposed to be that way I home the wires going from kill switch to cdi it ohm good check the wire going from cdi to coil its good do you think the magneto is bad how can you tell I hope I'm not getting on any nerves I called my local Yamaha dealer they said they would just replace all electric appointment and start from there and they got $65 hr I told them no thanks for all the help

Ok we found the problem with the one I was fixing. The new ignition does not connect the same way as the origonal in my case. I missed the switch repair but basically we stole the tumbler from the new switch and used it on the base from my old switch. Going to tell the dealer about the problem tomorrow but something tells me that you are having the same problem as the symptoms are eerily similar.

Back