• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

900 miles per belt

have you tried the hurricane alignment tool.... tried it on mine.....had to remove 3/16 off the back of the secondary to get spec with tool ....all seems to be good now...no belt dust at all now...... before all it took was one rip and the dust was unreal...I'm not 100 % sure but my offset is very close to 64 mm...give or take a mm.....3 runs this pass weekend back to back to back....122,119 and 115 and no issue

Great to hear.....

Soup if your having problems checking your parallel this tool makes it easier. I have one that’s aluminum but similar. The offset with this tool will be wrong but you can still use it to check parallel. I will throw it on and take some pics tonight.
The Hurricane tool is useless, it does nothing to address parallel. Offset is very easy to set with a ruler, so it’s a waste of time.

https://www.mfgsupply.com/725-665.html

I've checked parallel multiple times with different methods and priceless performance confirmed parallel and the motor mounts are ok. I understand there could still be an alignment issue though, the heat has to be coming from something not lined up or moving smoothly.

So, who does one go to to get the machine work done?
Joe it shouldn't be that hard for you to do it yourself. Just cut a little bit off with a hacksaw and clean it up with a grinder and then belt sander. I'm sure it will be close enough. That's how they do it at the Cat factory. ;)!

Man your struggling with this belt eater. No pun intended..
Something has to be binding or hanging up on one or both of those clutches. That is to many belts.. And the 8dn is one tough belt, so if your blowing those?
without you mentioning every set up .. I would guess is might actually be something obvious.. Sounds stupid and in no way saying its you or your ability to figure it out.. BUT i know I have missed the obvious at times.. You know you find it and you go "wow how could i be so stupid"
You ever ride the UP? if you do or did frequently I would be willing to work on that belt monster.. I do not have a heated work space at my cabin (UP) YET but will soon..
I put 4800 miles on mine at 250-255 HP.. Granted I have more studs and a lighter weight, but i have been running about the same set up for clutching.. I have listed it on here. I run VERY light weight with the Heavy hitter weights.. lighter then most..
You have tried many set ups i would bet..
Some do not believe in the lighter weight steeper helix/straight helix ..
Some will and do remember some of the clutch kits that worked very well in the cats.. These were extremely steep helixe and VERY light weights. Not saying this is the answer by any means

Yes, rode the UP alot this year, was in Paradise last wknd. I'd be up for another trip next wknd if you're around. Any help would be appreciated. It's been blowing belts since new, rode it all stock for 2000 miles, still blowing belts. I didn't actually blow the 8dn but hurt it because of misadjusted deflection. Didn't like the idea of the longer 8dn in conjunction with my shorter c to c.

Isn't it possible parallel could be off vertically? Has this been checked Soup?

Joe it shouldn't be that hard for you to do it yourself. Just cut a little bit off with a hacksaw and clean it up with a grinder and then belt sander. I'm sure it will be close enough. That's how they do it at the Cat factory. ;)!

Hmm....... Any chance of you making a video tutorial? I know your busy picking colors and whatnot. Kinda like the red myself.

Too bad

Last edited:
Zzzzzz

Last edited:
C to c 261
Tried all diff offsets, helixes, weights, springs, bushings, etc
Studded 144
280lb rider
Boosted 280
Blown 4 diff belts, including 8dn
Belts are delaminating, way too hot
Priceless Performance tweaked some stuff but no help. Wanted to put it in his chassis dyno but he didn't have the right drivers

I'm open to any suggestions

Get down to 240-250 actual HP. Gear it down like Cat is doing helps also.

Bummer

Last edited:
Yes, rode the UP alot this year, was in Paradise last wknd. I'd be up for another trip next wknd if you're around. Any help would be appreciated. It's been blowing belts since new, rode it all stock for 2000 miles, still blowing belts. I didn't actually blow the 8dn but hurt it because of misadjusted deflection. Didn't like the idea of the longer 8dn in conjunction with my shorter c to c.
I will not be UP this riding season anymore, but certainly next season

My last 3 belts blew almost EXACTLY at 900 miles.
Not great, but in SOUPY's world that's like a million miles.
2 belts i experimented on & tried to blow.
One of them i blew at 117 WOT for at least 6 miles .

I ran against my buds identical 2018 'Winder for about 15 minutes on lake at almost identical speeds. Pulled over & checked both belts with temp gun.
He weighs 100 pounds more than me & is un-studded. His clutches were 20 DEGREES COOLER than mine!

That's right, 20 freakin' degrees!

He has over a 1000 miles on his stock belt with very little belt dust.
I will be checking his center & offset in off season.
I'm pretty sure my 60.5 offset with 262 center is MY issue. Too late to fix it now.

I have about 900 miles on current belt & if it snaps tomorrow then i'll know to change them every 899 miles. LOL
Big pulls up here in Madawaska. Every railroad bed is a 2 mile plus straight away, a big bend at 80 mph then 2 plus more miles at 100 plus. Repeat process for 10 hours. I'm pretty sure it WILL blow tomorrow.

That will make 5 belts in 5500 miles. Not good, but not horrible.
At $78 per belt i'm not complaining......yet

For me with an Attack belts last well on groomed trails as soon as I start pulling hard in deep snow they blow .. Mountain sleds have much lower gearing .. These sleds need two sleep gear boxes to make life on the belt easier

Quick question on belt topic.

So sled was in heated garage. I was getting it ready for the next trip. 1900miles on belt. Maybe I'll try a new one, whatever.
So I go to put new 8jp on. I swear to God the new belt is two inches shorter. (Exaggerating) but it did not go on easy at all. Is that typical of the fitment. I don't think anyone here would have been able to do it Trailside.
Opened secondary, belt dropped down. I couldn't rotate the secondary to finish install.

Last edited:

Back