• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

998 with team clutches question

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
There are a few guys running 998 cats here with team clutches and looking for opinions from guys who went from compression to the torsional conversion kits.
Between the 2 what works better for trail riding, top speed and head to head racing
What changes did you notice between the 2?
What set ups have you tried and like the best?

Looking for honest feedback please!!
Plan on trying some different clutch set ups this winter but debating if I should just stick with compression or go torsional to test

Thanks
Marc

There are a few guys running 998 cats here with team clutches and looking for opinions from guys who went from compression to the torsional conversion kits.
Between the 2 what works better for trail riding, top speed and head to head racing
What changes did you notice between the 2?
What set ups have you tried and like the best?

Looking for honest feedback please!!
Plan on trying some different clutch set ups this winter but debating if I should just stick with compression or go torsional to test

Thanks
Marc
You're gonna stir up some good conversation on this! Can't wait to watch.

Team great miledge on belt, no dicking around, no this spring that spring, this helix etc, just ride.

Compression or torsion on the Cats does not seem to matter much at all, both work decent.

Had a bud pay big bucks for the Ron Ward torsion kit stuff and see no change really. Typically the torsion will run cooler, but not really seeing it as much with the 998.

Still nothing on the market clutch/belt wise that worked as good as a RX-1 or Apex. NOTHING! I'd love to seen Yamaha bring back that engine and driveline in a Ski-Doo chassis! These three cylinders suck in comparison to that Apex combo.

Compression or torsion on the Cats does not seem to matter much at all, both work decent.

Had a bud pay big bucks for the Ron Ward torsion kit stuff and see no change really. Typically the torsion will run cooler, but not really seeing it as much with the 998.

Still nothing on the market clutch/belt wise that worked as good as a RX-1 or Apex. NOTHING! I'd love to seen Yamaha bring back that engine and driveline in a Ski-Doo chassis! These three cylinders suck in comparison to that Apex combo.
Thanks for the honest comparison between the 2
I was blown away on the price of the Ron ward conversion kit!!!

This will be interesting!

I put a PB80 on my Winder for this year. Anxious so see how it performs on the trails! So far around the garage and short ride behind my house it's super responsive and very quiet!

I too wanted to try the RW kit on my Zr9k but can't justify that kind of money on a clutch kit. Now here is my take on the stock team secondary, the compression springs have a tit or a tang on them that locks them in place making it a half assed torsional set up. Now if it didn't have that tang to lock the spring in place I would definitely want the RW kit. So far with my 240 hurricane flash and a simply changing the weights and a stiffer secondary spring I am happy with my stock-ish clutches. Sorry that does nothing for real world knowledge on a torsional set up, just wanted to give my thoughts on the stock set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested in this also. Rattling from the primary gets old fast on the Yamaha clutch.

I put a PB80 on my Winder for this year. Anxious so see how it performs on the trails! So far around the garage and short ride behind my house it's super responsive and very quiet!
I sure hope you will be doing a review of PB80 for the rest of us guys sitting on the fence. Never had a problem with the Yamaha clutch but I sure don't like the rattle.

Last edited:
I always feel for tight trails like mine the compression is snappier, and can be setup nicely(Was same with my 1200). Torsional typically run cooler and work well for top speed and wide open trails.

I will own a TEAM clutched 998 if I go 998 again....The amt of time/work/modding needed with the YAM 998 clutching when going with a tune is significant to get it to work well and hold up for a fair amt of miles. While the TEAM setup seems to do well with pretty much nothing.

YAM engineers will scoff at this and they may be correct, as the 998 does well BONE STOCK with YAM clutches, but once tuned all bets are off. From the roller bushings, to offset.....I dont want this setup again.

Dan

I put mine on last season for a bit and it sure is nice and quiet! Will go back and re-visit it again this season. I want to run it with the stock muffler tune to make it super quiet and stealthy.

Back