• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A-Arms/Spindles

walshie

I got an email from one of the forum guys lastnight about the setup of his machine... it was fairly close to everything you guys have written except he has had some serious welding done on his a-arms and spindles. He welded steel supports on the a-arms and boxed in the spindles. The point is: ARE THEY REALLY THAT DANDEROUS?

Knock on wood, but I've been pounding mine quite a bit, checked em over yesterday after reading numerous posts about the issues, and I can't see a problem with mine. No offence to those having difficulties, but the next step after what I'm putting mine through would be snowcross or some pretty decent drops, so I can't really complain or relate to posts like these except say ride your sled and enjoy it, no sense worrying about it till it happens.

same here, I hit a chunk of ice sticking a foot and a half out of the ground doing about 50 and nearly came off my sled, probably one of the hardest hits i've ever taken, and thought for sure something was broke. Checked it over good and i don't see anything wrong with it. I just wish i could get the front end to float a little better than always having to hit the throtle when there are tire tracks on the lake. Other than that i love the sled.

kingedwards99 said:
same here, I hit a chunk of ice sticking a foot and a half out of the ground doing about 50 and nearly came off my sled, probably one of the hardest hits i've ever taken, and thought for sure something was broke. Checked it over good and i don't see anything wrong with it. I just wish i could get the front end to float a little better than always having to hit the throtle when there are tire tracks on the lake. Other than that i love the sled.
What do you mean? You want it to wheelie when you get on the gas so the skis just left right up over the tracks?

only thing I have noticed is both front shocks are no longer centered in the top a-arm. something seems to be tweaked, but the a-arms themselves look good. not sure if it's bent spindles or ??? I compared to another nytro and mine aren't even close to his. I've been told by the dealer to look at the lower tie rod ends as he has seen them failing prematurely(lots of play), but haven't checked mine yet.

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
Knock on wood, but I've been pounding mine quite a bit, checked em over yesterday after reading numerous posts about the issues, and I can't see a problem with mine. No offence to those having difficulties, but the next step after what I'm putting mine through would be snowcross or some pretty decent drops, so I can't really complain or relate to posts like these except say ride your sled and enjoy it, no sense worrying about it till it happens.

I think most of us has seen NyTrOMaNIaC's pics!! If he is not having any issues, I wouldn't be concerned!! A lot of us have started to put this thing through its paces without any issues. Modifying these things is definitely something I would NOT do! It's been mentioned before. There is a reason it's built the way it is built. I want my A-arms to get ripped right out of the sub frame and bend the hell out of the sub frame way before it damages the aluminum side frames!!! Once you start welding on a bunch of boogers and gussetts, I have a hard time believing that Yamaha is going to help you out. Plus, you increase the liklihood of the damage happening farther down the line. Such as, a bent sub frame (if it's not already bent), and the side frames!! It's better to leave it alone!! IMO!!

nytrochic said:
blueballer that means your subframe is bent see if the tips of your skis are even

tips are not even. I've hit quite a few hard drifts, 2 or 3 which have put me into the handlebars, and if I wasn't holding on tight enough, I would have gone over the windshield. If I kick my ski forwards and backwards, they each have quite a bit of movement. I will jack it up tonight and inspect further.

I went over a rock at 5 mph and thats how mine looked the sub is bent but nobody on here wants to admit I love the sled ben hitting 7' begginner freestyle ramp no problems so glad you see to just like my boy spartansledder had same problem and everyone says he is full of it.

Get the front end off the ground and check the slop between some of these parts, movement of a-arms from front to back. Lift the front of your skis and see what gives when the top of that spindle twists towards the back end of your sled. A riding bud showed me how much his nytros top a-arms move front to back, not just up and down. I'm no engineer, but when going over a bump I would expect the suspension to go upward and absorb it. With the play in the a-arm and spindle twist it can create some large force before the slack is picked up and top a arm stops moving backwards. Any thoughts on this? How much if any slack is ok on the a-arms?

Back