• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A-Arms/Spindles

psychosledder said:
Get the front end off the ground and check the slop between some of these parts, movement of a-arms from front to back. Lift the front of your skis and see what gives when the top of that spindle twists towards the back end of your sled. A riding bud showed me how much his nytros top a-arms move front to back, not just up and down. I'm no engineer, but when going over a bump I would expect the suspension to go upward and absorb it. With the play in the a-arm and spindle twist it can create some large force before the slack is picked up and top a arm stops moving backwards. Any thoughts on this? How much if any slack is ok on the a-arms?

I noticed this on mine today too. And the bushing in the lower a-arm has a lot of vertical slop, at least 3mm. Talked to my dealer today, bringing it in on monday.

i had tons o play in mine. i would say a 1/4"" in the lower ball joint on the a arm ... this would add up to serious amounts of force before the shocks took up the bump. Its called "Shock loading" in climbing terms

To answer the earlier question, yes, they really are that dangerous. In fact, pretty much the whole front end of that sled makes me nervous. Any opportunity to reinforce and gusset it is a good idea.

I disagree with reinforcing the front end. It, to me, is like taking out the colapse points on a car. They are intentional weaknesses put there from the engineers. You risk furthuring the damage caused by an impact not only on the sled but to yourself as well. A little money to fix some mechanical issues for me is better than not being able to ride at all. That is why cars have weak structures built in. Takes away from the damage a person receives. Just a thought...

I am planning to replace all the bushings where the A-arms are mounted to the frame, for something better.
I had a Phazer FX last year, and those a arm bushings were totallly worn out after one season of riding.
I dont think we need to reinforce the front end, we need to get rid of all the slop in it and all will be fine.

Talk to Eagle River Yamaha at (907) 694-1600 about higher quality bushings. I'm going to go this route as my sled has slop in the a-arms. Funny thing is, my Vector has way more slop but doesn't have the a-arm and spindle problems.

i used to put the race bushings in my Rev.....a few rides later they would be all weeble wobble and wonk.....erg. I don't think the design leaves enough room or space for any type of solid material or bushing.

I wonder if we should give them a spray with some type of lube every other ride....?...can't hurt.

gormleyflyer2002 said:
i used to put the race bushings in my Rev.....a few rides later they would be all weeble wobble and wonk.....erg. I don't think the design leaves enough room or space for any type of solid material or bushing.

I wonder if we should give them a spray with some type of lube every other ride....?...can't hurt.
That would be a good idea, as they are totally dry from factory.

EsonPZ said:
gormleyflyer2002 said:

That would be a good idea, as they are totally dry from factory.
I don't think these bushings are meant to be lubed. The problem is they went with a cheapy bushing that is apparently undersized. if your worried about lubing them, you could look at an oilite bushing. Myself, i would look at a high quality polyethylene bushing that is a few thou under(very little slop). if there is any play in them, it is just a matter of time before they are all worn out, which could soon lead to metal on metal.

I just replaced my right lower A arm after a collision with a stump. 100% my fault and I would expect the A arm to bend which it did. The only concern I have is the lower ball joint looked completely blown out. I had a ton of vertical slop. I figured this was because of the impact but I checked the other side and it has a ton of vertical play as well. The replacement one seems much better but I have only 520miles and wouldn't think the ball joints would wear out that fast?

Bushings looked ok. These aren't meant to be lubed.

Does anyone out there know of a supplier for high quality ball joints for this nytro. I would rather pay and know that its good than hope that the new ones from yamaha are any better ....

It should be as it is quite early for it to wear out. Report it to the dealer so Yamaha will do something about it. If we don't we might get burned.

Back