• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A little help please - Error code 36 - Faulty Ignition

tom

Pro
Website
www.509films.com
So code 36 started popping up after I switched to a canister style filter. I noticed it was sucking alot of moisture and running like shiz. Switched back to the trusty K&N and still battled the code off and on all day.

Sled would run fine up to 3/4 throttle. At full throttle the sled would pop/sputter/stumble/etc and then when I let off code 36 pops up and the sled won't rev up.

Code 36 says...

Faulty Ignition
Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil.

Cut the injection of cylinder in the same group that the error is detected.

Not sure it has any relation to the shitty filter.

Any ideas guys?

What I don't understand is its hit and miss. Sometimes the sled runs fine and others it throws code 36. it always only throws the code at WOT.

Under the FAQ section I found this about code 35...

"If your getting this error #35 code on Apex/Attak 2006, look for at the wiring harness near #3 spark plug, there may be a wire shorting out intermittently. Most likely it’s the wire that coming out of the #3 plug touching a bolt that secures the #3 ignition coil. Follow the wire up to the black tie rap and inspect that area near the bolt. Reposition the wire strap once repaired to hold the wire up out of the way of that bolt. "

I also read a low battery can cause ignition issues. I've had to charge this batt a couple times after the sled was sitting for a while. Charged on a slow trickle charger overnight, it always started fine the next day through out. Is there any merit to a bad batt causing the issue?

code 36 is ignition coil #4. check wiring and connectors. short or open circuit. malfunction in ignition coil. malfunction in ecu. malfunction in a component in the ignition cut off system. swap coils between to cylinders and see if you get a different code the coil is bad. make sure you put the wires back on the correct cylinder

Never mind, I figured it out, right side.

So I checked the resistance on the coil and it's fine. The wiring harness looks fine, no wear or exposed wires.

Could it be the plug?

At this point only thing I can do is swap the coils, put in new plugs, put dialectic on all the connections and see what happens.

The code is hit and miss and seems to only happen at WOT, so no real way to figure it out in the garage.

I looked back at my posts and realized the sled was throwing a code 36 last spring also. The problem was the TPS went out. Fixed that and an intake leak and sled was fine until now. Checked the TPS and its still good.

So will a plug problem through these same codes (33,34,35,36)?

All those are the coils ,cylinders 1 thru 4 .If your front mount boosted make sure the harness wires are not melting and make sure to use diaelectric grease on plug connections ,also make sure plug is seated and locked in to coil

Power supply.

I know when I had stator issues, I would get some of those codes before I would get the code 46(I think that is the code) for the battery voltage. I would double check you're charging system. It should be 13.6Volts + at an idle or slightly above. Mine was hit and miss. Sometimes it would read 13 and other times it would just drop the voltage. Another thing you could check is if the spark plug cap/coil is full of oil. You may not see any on the head b/c the coils are sealed at the top by the 10mm bolt/rubber, but it can leak out around the rubber(cam cover rubber) and get into where the plug sits. You will have to pull the coil and check the plug to confirm this. Hope this helps.

on top of the engine. some people call it the map sensor. check the hose, it probally came off one of the throttle bodies

Back