• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A modular helmet!!

whats up guys i'm looking to buy a new modular helmet this summer and i'm not sure as to what i should buy. i know it has to be a modular because i am one of those guys who has to take their helmet off everytime we stop becuase i'm so hot. so i need to have that option of flipping the mask up to expose my face!! i wear an mx hjc helmet with a pair of oakley goggels right now and icing and that is not a factor. i saw some of the posts about the scorpion and the doo modulars. both had their ups and downs... let me know how you guys feel after using them for this season!! thanks a lot. Tim

Dont' forget there's the 'original' Doo Modular and the BVS2 modular...The scorpion and/or Exo series are NOT modulars (99% sure)....What they DO have is the flip down sun visor, but they're full face, I believe.

HJC, G-Max and some others make modulars as well, but I like the Doo versions. More expensive though. The 'original' modular is also pretty good at protecting the old grey matter.....My brother and another budy both totalled sleds and walked away....Helmets destroyed and calapsed internally (like they're supposed to), but they did the job! JMHO.

The BV2S Doo helmet is awesome. IMO it is the quietest, warmest, has the best visablity and great features (LED rear light, flip down lens and excellent chin curtain). One negative is it's price, but I found it worth it to spend the extra cash.

NY_Nytro said:
One negative is it's price, but I found it worth it to spend the extra cash.

The other negative is they only come to XXL and even then they run very small. Us guys with massive melons are pretty much McScrewed!! :o|

(I have an original modular in XXXL and it BARELY fits.....but I wear it. Wish I could find one a bit more comfortable).

I have the original modular, and i like it most of the time, had it for about 3 years. but it leaks air across your cheek bones even with that air dam they give you. on cold days its best to stay off the rr beds and lakes. i have heard that the BV2S (i think thats the one) is a lot better.

Ive got a Polaris modular and I like it. Ive got a heated shield for mine and it never fogs.
I went with the Polaris because other than the BVS, it was the only helmet I knew that had a flipdown sunshield in the visor. I bought the Polaris over the Doo because for me, buying anything that says BRP or Ski-Doo on it is not an option.
I would have actually preferred a Snoforce modular, but it doesnt have the sunshield.

I went with the BV2S this year. It is working flawlessly. I have a big head, I could not fit my head into a xxxl first generation skidoo modular but the xxxl BV2S fits perfect. I would say they are bigger then the Original modulars. It has been dam cold in manitoba for the last month and although I didn't get out lot's when I did I did not have any fogging problems. My last helmet was a polaris bell extreme and although it was a warm and quiet helmet it fogged all the time. I am glad I made the switch......

The other negative is they only come to XXL and even then they run very small.

I have a big head, I could not fit my head into a xxxl first generation skidoo modular but the xxxl BV2S fits perfect

i am unfortunatly one of those guys with big melons lol and will need at least a xxxl... at 6"6' and 385 lbs its hard to find things that fit right!!

buddah2 said:
NY_Nytro said:
One negative is it's price, but I found it worth it to spend the extra cash.

The other negative is they only come to XXL and even then they run very small. Us guys with massive melons are pretty much McScrewed!! :o|

(I have an original modular in XXXL and it BARELY fits.....but I wear it. Wish I could find one a bit more comfortable).

The original Doo modular seemed like it was really small for it marked size but the BV2S doesn't seem that way.

Prior to the BV2S I wore an XXL HJC and in the BV2S I only take an XL. The Large BV2S even fits me with a thin balaclava but was a little tight going on but not coming off so I went with the XL.

I went cheap..I bought a ZEUS modular helmet with the electric visor, I have had it for 4 years now without a issue..I have tried the Doo Modular helmet,, nice helmet but it's a little expensive..I see you can buy a ZEUS modular with electric visor on Ebay brand new for $140...Three of my buddies have the same helmets as I do and they all like them, just wear a balacalava over your mouth and nose and even at -35c still have clear visor.........

03griz said:
..... but the xxxl BV2S fits perfect.

No 3XL available when I looked at them. Probably same as they did with the Gen I modular. 3X available during 2nd or 3rd season but not initially. I'll have to see if I can find one cause I HATE that origianal one and only suffer through it because of the no fogging.

kyzer said:
I went cheap..I bought a ZEUS modular helmet with the electric visor, I have had it for 4 years now without a issue..I have tried the Doo Modular helmet,, nice helmet but it's a little expensive..I see you can buy a ZEUS modular with electric visor on Ebay brand new for $140...Three of my buddies have the same helmets as I do and they all like them, just wear a balacalava over your mouth and nose and even at -35c still have clear visor.........

I tried a Zeus with an electric shield as my first modular a couple years back, while it didn't fog or ice in extreme cold it was extremely drafty. I would have ice form on my eye lashes and a very cold face from all the snow dust that would enter through the air leaks. I ended up duct taping all around the shield to get through the trip and got rid of it after that. Maybe mine was a bad unit.

Thats funny I don't find mine drafty at all, my snowmobile jacket has a huge collar so it covers the bottom of the helmet pretty good..I could see it being drafty if I didn,t have the collar...

Ski Doo modulars seem to run a little small. My son (SXlover on 2 stroke forum) found the front (in the jaw area) of an XXL modular to tight. We are going to try a XXXL to see if that does the trick. I wear a XL and like mine. My cousin wears a modular too. He had the same issue in the jaw area and went from an XL to XXL. He even places black electricians tape over the slide area for the tinted visor, to keep cold air from entering in there. He said he rarely uses the tinted visor and if he does he can quickly pull the tape off. Living in ND where conditions are very cold at times requires a full face helmet to keep your face from freezing. Goggles are not an option. My biggest plus for this helmet is I wear glasses. I can finally open or remove the helmet without the hassle of trying to get my glasses on and off through the visor area. When temperatures are warm enough, I pull the breathing mask out and run with the visor open slightly. For you guys with glasses, you won't be trying to catch up with the rest of the group because you coundn't get those glasses to fit in until everyone else is gone. More ride time= more fun time!!!!!!

Back