• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A new High Performance Trail 2-Stroke YamaCat in the works for next season?

VX1R

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Ordered: 2025 SW LTX-LE Final Edition
Current Riders:
2018 SW LTX-LE
2002 SRX Custom
Rough Trail: 2023 Lynx Xterrian 900TurboR
Vintage Riders:
1980 Enticer 300 Twin
1986 Inviter
1998 Phazer Mt. Lite
1996 Phazer Mt. Lite Mod
Here's some interesting speculation from one of the Lester clan from SuperTrax magazine regarding a new 2-Stroke trail sled from YamaCat....

Would any current SideWinder owners decide to go back to a 2-Stroker again if offered the choice?

I for one would strongly consider it depending on the power level and suspension package.

I'd love to see a pure Yamaha designed new 2-Stroke powerplant but at this point I'm afraid that is just wishful thinking, but a guy can still dream.

Last edited:

Highly doubt you will ever see a pure Yamaha sled produced again.

Yamaha has just redid the 22 YZ 125 2 stroke , so they are actually still investing some money into 2 strokes. But the 2 strokes are done for me unless they can start making 200hp to be some what fun compared the sidewinder.

i would consider it if the engine was the old tripple pv srx motor. no interest in a big twin.

Don't think I could go back to a 2 smoke motor. Really like where I'm at with this winder 4 stroke motor.

This might happen, but it maybe in the rumored new pro cross 2 chassis with a 850 instead of the old 800, it will be all Cat though, can't see Yamaha sharing any of their 2 stroke tech but you never know these day's, all the better for buyers if they do have their helping hand in the motor.

I would go back, as long as it's all Yamaha.

First of all, Cat needs to bump that engine to 850.
Second, given that the Winder outsells the T-Cat by a very wide margin, (even though they are basically the same sled), they would probably sells a pile of them dressed in Blue and White.
Personally, I have zero interest - I'm hooked on the broad and massive Turbo power and I don't much care for the sound or smell of a two-stroke anymore.

I did hear a while back that Yamaha was testing a new 850! Was it a Cat 850? Maybe? I also heard that it was Cat motor with a Yamaha Direct Injection System? Who knows. I could see Yamaha bring a 2 stroke 850 for the Mountain Riders. I doubt you will see it for Trail riding.

The 165hp range power is missing in the Yamaha trail riding line up compared to the other OEM's, not sure what a non turbo winder engine would put out but maybe close to that HP, maybe this is the direction Yamaha will go keeping it 4 stroke, makes it easier and more realistic for Yamaha to justify using it in other Yamaha products, Yamaha is pretty tight lipped.

Back