• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A new High Performance Trail 2-Stroke YamaCat in the works for next season?

Would be a big no for me. The 4 stroke is just a dang nice reliable good running motor. I’ll add that the wife doesn’t complain about the smell of my gear when I get home. My truck doesn’t smell like two stroke in the way home either.

I would like to see a new Yamaha 2 stroke I probably wouldn’t buy one I will stick to my 998 but would definitely be cool to see. But if it was a ctec in it I would puke

Bring on a nice 2 stroke triple 900 in Procross chassis! They would sell like hot cakes!

Here's some interesting speculation from one of the Lester clan from SuperTrax magazine regarding a new 2-Stroke trail sled from YamaCat....

Would any current SideWinder owners decide to go back to a 2-Stroker again if offered the choice?

I for one would strongly consider it depending on the power level and suspension package.

I'd love to see a pure Yamaha designed new 2-Stroke powerplant but at this point I'm afraid that is just wishful thinking, but a guy can still dream.
Definitely wishful thinking
Sorry
Yamaha canceled thousands of sidewinders this year, floor models , dealer demos, and customer
Preorder sleds. Hard to build sleds when you have no manufacturing capacity. Waiting for another company to build your sleds.
Nothing new next year

Definitely wishful thinking
Sorry
Yamaha canceled thousands of sidewinders this year, floor models , dealer demos, and customer
Preorder sleds. Hard to build sleds when you have no manufacturing capacity. Waiting for another company to build your sleds.
Nothing new next year
They've been doing that for years with all manufacturers - it gets old.
Trying to predict what's around the corner.

The 165hp range power is missing in the Yamaha trail riding line up compared to the other OEM's, not sure what a non turbo winder engine would put out but maybe close to that HP, maybe this is the direction Yamaha will go keeping it 4 stroke, makes it easier and more realistic for Yamaha to justify using it in other Yamaha products, Yamaha is pretty tight lipped.

Agree....going from a 130HP Viper to a 180HP+ Winder is a huge leap. They are missing a big sector of snowmobile sales not having one in between the two. The 400cc sled was needed and just might be the best seller in years to come for Yamaha and Cat.
Yamaha 2 strokes, back in the day, were feared by all with the speed and durability. What a dream a Yamaha built two stroke engine would be under the hood of a fine tuned chassis.

I bought a 1979 John Deere Trail Fire 340 (Kawi twin fan cooled engine) and got my arse handed to me by a Yamaha 250 single in a race. It was embarrassing how much faster the 250 single was from start to finish. Yamaha had something no one else had with regards to engine technology.
So sad they let it go

No two stroke engines for me anymore.
I like my gas and go sleds now.
No more rebuilding engines when we should be out riding.
Get some gas with water in it and your pistons are shot on a two stroke.
Four stroke engines will not be affected that much from water.
I remember back in 2010 when a certain resort had water in their gas, the trail near that place was littered with two strokes with the hoods open. That place has no longer sold gas since.
I'll keep with four stroke engines.

The only 2 stroke trail sled Yamaha will have if Cat agrees to build it and share it, maybe a new ctec 850 is in the works and a updated new pro cross chassis, hopefully this will migrate to the 4 strokes, that will be Yamaha's customers only hope to have one in blue for those who like the 2 strokes, Yamaha is shutting down their R&D so no more quality control from Yamaha, everything will be left for Cat to decide Yamaha's fate at the plant, way to go Yamaha!!!

Was there ever a permanent fix to the dreaded cable/powervalve pull thru?my 2000 srx is in type 50 storage(which means it can be brought back in case of a national emergency)

s

Yes, there was a guy that would install a stainless insert where the cable attaches. While not completely permeant, it would prolong the pull through issue.

Yes, there was a guy that would install a stainless insert where the cable attaches. While not completely permeant, it would prolong the pull through issue.
I have the inserts now,it was a crude fix but it worked..its been sitting for three years now..can't believe I waited to get a sidewinder!!!love my apex but no comparison in ride to the winder..

I have the inserts now,it was a crude fix but it worked..its been sitting for three years now..can't believe I waited to get a sidewinder!!!love my apex but no comparison in ride to the winder..

Yep, I've spent plenty of time on the 2 stroke side of TY in my Vmax, SXR, and SRX days. It was fun, but I don't miss it. Only 2 stroke left in the fleet is the Sno Scoot.

Back