• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

About to Buy MTX - Finish Convincing Me

armichels

Website
www.michelshomes.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 XTX Sidewinder 141
2017 XRS 800
2014 Ace 900
First forum post here after lurking and reading for a few weeks. I found a good buy on a 2017 MTX 162. They will take my 2014 Summit X on trade and I think I'm ready to jump back into the 4Stroke. I bolted a Silber Kit on it and am nervous on tuning and dependability.

Background -
My buddies and I ride west 2-3 times per year. Ive had two cats (2012 M1100T full Bikeman setup and an M8000) both 162's. Ski-Doos also all 163's. My wife and I ride MI and northern MN mostly trail and lake running. I have an XRS and she has the Ace 900. I rode a BTX last year in MI and loved the boost and smoothness.

Concerns / Questions I haven't gotten in my readings -
I've read how great these sleds are, but not much specifically regarding tree riding. How are they in trees?

What do the 3" 162's have for top speed (not that its what its built for) I might axe the XRS next year if this SW is OK while buzzing around with the wife and cut down an older 162 track and re-gear.

Should I move to the 2018? Are there that many differences to spend the extra coin?

Anything else you can share regarding the riding efforts, ride etc compared to a Skidoo would be appreciated.

Thank you for the information throughout the website.
Andy

I switched from a 15 skidoo t3 174 to a Sidewinder mtx last spring. Best decision I made in a long time. Really missed the 4 stroke power....and the handling is wicked compared to its predecessors. Here’s what I posted for reviews of it last spring. I’m very excited for this season. Also we mainly ride the tight trees around our area.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431871

Also my build thread is on here in the garage section. I’d say go for it.

I would not trade in your Skidoo so you can have the best of both worlds, but thats me.
I used to own an Apex back when they first came out, I said the day Yammi puts a factory turbo on a sled I will buy in a heart beat.
When I sled and listen to a two stroke verses a four stroke, two stroke has the throttle pined all day long and all I can think is how fast a two stroke motor will blow up EVEN when they put a turbo on it.
A four stroke is endless ability for power, you can set up a mountain Yammi 'sidewinder" to boondocks like a caddy.
I will say this, last year on the Sidewinder I took it to areas where I took my Apex and even new areas that the apex would of never made it, and while boondocking last year I was so impressed that I didn't have to pin it to get where I wanted, I could just burp the throttle and it just went, but when I got into a pinch and needed the power the sled gave it to me and never got stuck in those areas.
I now am putting Evolution Powersports Stage 4 tune, and the only reason Im doing it is to compensate for those heavy snow days where you need that little extra power to bust through the snow, AND just that little extra that most say gives the sidewinder that perfect fit, and puts me next to those two strokes who decide to push a turbo.

Now for the best part, Ive been on a 165 2018 Skidoo 850, easy to throw around, great sled, but all i wanted to do was get back on the Sidewinder, and thinking how the sidewinder feels almost the same weight of a two stroke due to the Arctic cat chassis.
At the end of the day or days, when the two strokers get back to the trailer all beat up, I get back ready to go back out.
Yammi did really good with this sled, I just don't know how they will beat it except to see lighter and narrower to mention a little.

All - thank you for the input on this. I ended up with a hold over 2017 XTX SE 1.6 x 141. Love it so far. Wife likes it better than her ACE, so this is a keeper for sure. I have the XRS still too and will plan to rent a 162 Cat out west this winter for my one trip I plan to make. Very pleased with the XTX. Great mix of on and off trail capabilities. I want to do some better shocks (next year probably) and should be set. Thank you for the convincing. VERY happy besides the SD_26 code (hasn't been back since 500 miles) and the SD_08 code that showed up in the extreme cold last week. Will keep driving it and see if the gremlin works itself out...

Happy trails!

Can't believe you even compared a skidoo ace to the sidewinder ...my sidewinder is a mountain slayer nothing compares it works well ...enjoy the mountain kitty in the steep and deep! If it was me I would rent the mtx sidewinder 162 you won't think twice about another smoker.

They do not rent Yamaha in West Yellowstone unfortunately. I didn't intend to compare the ACE to the Winder, the wife found the Yamaha to be warmer and easier to drive is all...

Thank you!

Back