• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ADAPT Clutch Set Up

Upstater57

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 Tcat EPS,
2014 ZR9000 (sold)
1978,1979,1980 SRX (sold)
Has anyone started working with the adapt clutch and different tunes? I would assume guys are working with the Dalton weights. Mine is bone stock at the moment and wanted to seek advice before moving forward with tuning.

Get ahold of terry at thunder products, he had some of the first adapt clutchs in his hands, also a fleet of there own sleds for testing his products, very good customer service and product.
Good thought. I have used their products on my older sleds for years. I did not see anything listed for sale for the Adapt on their website but I can give them a call after Xmas.

Ive been doing some searching everywhere and not a ton of info available yet but anxious to get some time to experiment. I have a very short ride but the helix being a full progressive is pretty aggressive on the upshift and seems to work well. To keep tuning simple im not planning on drifting away much from the stock weight profile.Dalton and speedwerx I believe kept the factory curvature.

I see dave at hurricane has clutch cam arms for adapts, and can preset them up to what tune you want to run, give him a call also.

Been doing some more digging around on whats available for the adapt and there is a decent selection available. What puzzles me a bit is some are building new weights from scratch for this clutch and others are using yamaha weights with spacers on the side to fill in the gap from the wide with of the adapt weights. Dalton, speedwerx, venom, SSI, slp magnum force, bmp snyper are purpose built for the adapt clutch. STM(for sure) and heavy hitters(I think but not 100%) are using yamaha weights with spacers and I think (according to pic on website) hurricane is using yamaha dalton weights with spacers as well. Oddly enough Im sure this is the cheaper route to "build" but the purpose built adapt weights seem to priced similiar or better for the most part. Not attacking the companies that adapted the weights to work but curious why some could of done the same but created new instead. Seems D&D has no intention of making the magna force weight for the adapt, they are using daltons in their kits for adapt clutch sleds. Regardless, we have options now and thats a good thing.

The stock AC weights in a stock machine are pretty good. Currently cat spring selection is also limited. The old springs are good diameter wise but until someone measures their finished rate in the new clutch, its hard to know what to use. Dalton seems to have a good set up with their weights. Need time to experiment but mother nature is not cooperating.

The stock AC weights in a stock machine are pretty good. Currently cat spring selection is also limited. The old springs are good diameter wise but until someone measures their finished rate in the new clutch, its hard to know what to use. Dalton seems to have a good set up with their weights. Need time to experiment but mother nature is not cooperating.
speedwerx has a decent selection of ADAPT primary springs and according to a poster on hcs dalton told them the team springs work the same in the adapt. I emailed them to see if that information was correct but never got a response.

Been doing some more digging around on whats available for the adapt and there is a decent selection available. What puzzles me a bit is some are building new weights from scratch for this clutch and others are using yamaha weights with spacers on the side to fill in the gap from the wide with of the adapt weights. Dalton, speedwerx, venom, SSI, slp magnum force, bmp snyper are purpose built for the adapt clutch. STM(for sure) and heavy hitters(I think but not 100%) are using yamaha weights with spacers and I think (according to pic on website) hurricane is using yamaha dalton weights with spacers as well. Oddly enough Im sure this is the cheaper route to "build" but the purpose built adapt weights seem to priced similiar or better for the most part. Not attacking the companies that adapted the weights to work but curious why some could have done the same but created new instead. Seems D&D has no intention of making the magna force weight for the adapt, they are using daltons in their kits for adapt clutch sleds. Regardless, we have options now and thats a good thing.
I have everything from Hurricane (225,240,270 Cluster flash for SM & PM, TS BOV, AFR Closed Loop, 3 bar map sensor). Dave is offering the Yamaha weights with spacers as he hasn’t tested the new Dalton QA3 weights for the new ADAPT clutch. I wanted the new Dalton weights so I’m waiting on weather so I can start testing and adding weight for RPMs’ for the 240 and 270 tunes. I purchased the QAS-69 weights.
I‘m wondering what others are running for weight with the 240 & 270 tunes. I’m going to try the 69 gram weights empty with the 240 PM tune and see what the RPMs’ are and go from there?. I have a X829 for when I start running the 240 & 270 tunes and I’ve read that belt can drop your RPMs’ 150-200 ?
Any suggestions?

I have everything from Hurricane (225,240,270 Cluster flash for SM & PM, TS BOV, AFR Closed Loop, 3 bar map sensor). Dave is offering the Yamaha weights with spacers as he hasn’t tested the new Dalton QA3 weights for the new ADAPT clutch. I wanted the new Dalton weights so I’m waiting on weather so I can start testing and adding weight for RPMs’ for the 240 and 270 tunes. I purchased the QAS-69 weights.
I‘m wondering what others are running for weight with the 240 & 270 tunes. I’m going to try the 69 gram weights empty with the 240 PM tune and see what the RPMs’ are and go from there?. I have a X829 for when I start running the 240 & 270 tunes and I’ve read that belt can drop your RPMs’ 150-200 ?
Any suggestions?
I suspect the 69’s will be heavy for the 240 tune but have no testing to confirm. TurboR has 65’s and description says for 240 tune and 69’s for 270 and up. I believe precision sells the 65’s for their tunes. Thats just speculation going off vendor descriptions and that will vary with belt used and primary spring of course. Adapt runs alot less weight than the team clutch did due to weight location being further from center and the full progressive helix vs compound cut that they used on teams.

I suspect the 69’s will be heavy for the 240 tune but have no testing to confirm. TurboR has 65’s and description says for 240 tune and 69’s for 270 and up. I believe precision sells the 65’s for their tunes. Thats just speculation going off vendor descriptions and that will vary with belt used and primary spring of course. Adapt runs alot less weight than the team clutch did due to weight location being further from center and the full progressive helix vs compound cut that they used on teams.
Although I have no experience with weights and this clutch, I think it will take less weight than we would normally use. It starts out using less weight than last years stock clutch. I would try 67/68 for a 240 tune. The good news is the clutch is easy to work on.

Although I have no experience with weights and this clutch, I think it will take less weight than we would normally use. It starts out using less weight than last years stock clutch. I would try 67/68 for a 240 tune. The good news is the clutch is easy to work on.
Yes quite a bit less weight than the teams for sure. I was planning on 65 base weight if I go with daltons. They have almost 10 grams of adjustability on that clutch so would easily cover 240 and 270 tunes and then some.

I suspect the 69’s will be heavy for the 240 tune but have no testing to confirm. TurboR has 65’s and description says for 240 tune and 69’s for 270 and up. I believe precision sells the 65’s for their tunes. Thats just speculation going off vendor descriptions and that will vary with belt used and primary spring of course. Adapt runs alot less weight than the team clutch did due to weight location being further from center and the full progressive helix vs compound cut that they used on teams going to be close for a 240 tune w/PM. Stock weights in the Cat ADAPT is 66 grams.
Yes quite a bit less weight than the teams for sure. I was planning on 65 base weight if I go with daltons. They have almost 10 grams of adjustability on that clutch so would easily cover 240 and 270 tunes and then some.
Stock base weights in my '22 T-cat are 66 grams. I figured for each 1 gram added equals 150-200 lower rpms correct??

Last edited:

Back