• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Adding a primer

Trevorollie

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha viking profesional
I have an 07 vk pro. It cranks forever before starting if it’s been parked for a while. (Apparently even in the middle of summer)
I think it need a primer or why are the carbs going dry

I have an 07 vk pro. It cranks forever before starting if it’s been parked for a while. (Apparently even in the middle of summer)
Very common to have them dry out. Usually takes a good amount of pulls to get them to start pumping and filling the bowls. Primer would help. On first starts I usuallly just pop the plugs and drop a little fuel in each hole and get them fired faster so I dont pull out my shoulder.

common issue on the carb vectors and ventures when they sit for long periods. most either blow into the gas tank vent while cranking to help get the gas to the pumps and fill the float bowls or pour gas into the carbs to get it running. have seen/heard of quick start being used as well but that drys out the cylinders and i do not like doing that if i can help it.

You are not alone... this only seems to happen when sitting more than a few months...the only way I personally overcome this is to either start the sled every month or so when stored or if you forget like I do remove air box / filter and literally spray good gas even 50:1 down the throats of the carbs while cranking. This happens for some reason with this sled. After it starts with this process .it will start normal unless you let it sit. Your idea of a primer is not a bad idea really x 3 carbs. Have thought of this myself but never really bothered with it. I don't mind doing this once a season... I get to see if any mice have been in there etc. I picked this idea up from this forum somewhere and if you look for it in here you will see clearly it is something others have been experiencing as well as the solution for it.

So I just drained the battery and a booster pack trying to get it going again. How about check valves in the tank. Anybody think or try that

sounding like the pilot jets in the carbs are plugged. if it fires on quick start odds are that is the issue.

Pulled the carbs the jets were clean and bowls were dry. I put compressed air to the vent line behind the secondary clutch and that did the trick

Still think check valves just after the in tank filters would solve this problem

the gas evaporates out of the carb bowls when they sit for extended periods. when you start the sled every month or so, it does not do that. my et410 does this and my 05 war did it too. starting them every 3-4 weeks cured the issue.

Back