• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Adding a turbo to a 06

slowride06er

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex
I'd like to have a turbo added to my sled. I live in upper Michigan. I'm looking for someone who has experience in installs. I'm also open to anyone in WI and MN (open to others as well) that do installs. I'm not sure this service is offered anywhere.

If anyone has any recommendations please feel free to p.m. me. If this is not allowed please delete. I'm just starting to do my research now.

What little I know. I'm not interested in a rear mount setup would like to keep the stockish look of sled. I plan on trail riding the sled.

Thank you in advance

Problem with most turbo setup's on an Apex, other than a rear mount, is that you'll likely have to cut the gas tank to make room for the turbo (reducing fuel capacity for trail riding) , then you'll have the hottest part of the exhaust right next to the plastic tank along with the exhaust will not exiting the factory location at the rear, not stockish looking...
On stock engine / compression you'll be limited to about 6ish psi boost on pump gas, so about 210-220hp.
A lot is going to depend on how much $ you want to throw at your 06 Apex, I don't even want to try to calculate how much I have in my 06 over the years to refine it and make it reliable. A used SW might be a cheaper option.

Last edited:
A little further then MN and WI but @Srxspec Ulmer Racing in Menno, SD might be worth the drive. Problem is most shops abandoned the apex platform and are playing with sidewinders now. What are your goals with the turbo? How do you ride?

Having had both I can say this:
SW is closest thing to a full on mod apex you can buy - get one with good shocks, Flash and run good fuel and you have turbo apex power for less then $2K in mods. Reliability is question mark, some run flawless, some are plagued with issues.

Turbo Apex is far superior in everything else compared to winder. Its faster, sounds better, more responsive and IMO more reliable. Plan on upgrading front and rear suspension, turbo apexs get to speed in an instant and you need suspension that is not bottoming out and good brakes. Also lots of off season maintenance like chains every other year, and looking the sled over for stress cracks, exhaust leaks, etc. In my experience you plan for about a month of off season work (by the time you order parts, etc) and it will ride all year with no breakdowns. The boosted recipe is already proven on here. 6 psi stock engine is a little more dangerous then 10psi on a head shimmed engine but both will live long lives with good fuel. I carry Torco in case you only get 87 fuel which I did once in the UP and the torco saved my engine. A supercharger on the apex is amazing fun to ride in twisty trails, the turbo is better for long open stretches but all have some lag, the SC makes boost off of clutch engagement. Its also harder on fuel. My impulse turbo completely changed the dynamic of the apex, replacing the gas tank with one you sit on, moved the weight and balanced the sled so much better. It literally felt 100lbs lighter. It was so easy to drive.

My path? SC with a impulse turbo feeding it! Yup! LOL

I have a header, intercooler, fuel tank, and Power Commander stuff for fueling all on hand to build a front mount turbo kit setup at 5-6 psi of boost for an Apex. Give me a call sometime and we can discuss things 605-387-2833.

Back