• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Adding inline fuel filter

Turboflash

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 ZR9000 Ltd. 137 - PEFI Stage 4
For those who read my "998 rebuild" thread, you may recall part of my diagnosis and rebuild was to have my 3 fuel injectors cleaned and flowed to ensure they are at 100%. As it turned out, when I did that, 2 of 3 were 3.5% down compared to the other. While 3.5% may not seem like allot, if you're running a stock fuel system that is maxed out and close to the edge at times (like when it's really cold out or gas tank is below 1/2), it could be important. My injectors were cleaned and flowed and now all 3 are at 100%, or should I say all 3 now flow the same. The company that did the cleaning told me that I should have an inline fuel filter to protect the injectors (just like many cars/trucks). They said any debris larger than about 25 micron could become lodged in injector inlet filter or even into the pintle and seat area. Therefore, I set about trying to find an inline filter. We do have a strainer in the tank (connected to pump inlet) but it is only able to protect the pump as it will only protect down to about 40-50 microns. That size debris will easily plug up injectors. I'm actually surprised there aren't more problems with this. I wonder how many 998 sleds out there right now have restrictions in fuel injectors?
Result - I now have a 10 micron inline filter right before the fuel rail. It will flow 240 gals/hour and has a cleanable stainless steel mesh element. It is located under the handlebar mount and right behind the existing fuel rail. It is 1.25" diameter x 4" long. I used the factory 90 deg. quick connect on the hose that comes from the outlet side of the filter and another 90 degree standard automotive quick connect on the inlet side. Note: the factory fuel rail quick connect is not standard 5/16" automotive size. It is a special Yamaha size that is close to 5/16". The inlet fitting to the filter is standard. I shortened the factory fuel line and installed a 90 degree fitting to get into the filter, then the outlet side has a standard 6AN 180 degree fitting and a 5/16" fuel injection hose to the factory fuel rail that connects with the factory 90 degree fitting. In the pics it is hard to see but if you look close you can see the 90 degree into the filter and parts of the return to the factory rail. Now my injectors will never get debris in them again.
If anyone is interested, I can give you the part numbers for the parts. I got them from Summit Racing.

Attachments

• fuel filter1.1.jpg
    fuel filter1.1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 338
  • fuel filter2.1.jpg
    fuel filter2.1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 341
  • fuel filter4.1.jpg
    fuel filter4.1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 351

Looks good! Do you need an ultrasonic cleaner for the screen or just use compressed air?

Always wondered why they got rid of filter. Early Vipers had one. They did have a recall on them for poorly fitted clamps. Maybe they didn’t want to chance it anymore? Keeping mine on.

Also never tried on these but most injectors that inlet screen is removable and replaceable or can be cleaned after removal.

Inlet screen on these 998 injectors is replaceable. Company I used replaced them and ultrasonically cleaned injectors and then flowed them on flow bench. I have the before and after report. I used all stainless steel aircraft fuel injection clamps on 5/16" Dayco fuel injection hose (rated at 225 psi) for run to stock fuel rail. I tested the system from outlet point at pump to fuel rail connection. Air tight up to 130 psi which is as high as my garage compressor goes. It ain't gonna leak. Highest fuel pressure for most of us trail riders is about 65 psi.

I would be interested and thankful as well.

Inlet screen on these 998 injectors is replaceable. Company I used replaced them and ultrasonically cleaned injectors and then flowed them on flow bench. I have the before and after report. I used all stainless steel aircraft fuel injection clamps on 5/16" Dayco fuel injection hose (rated at 225 psi) for run to stock fuel rail. I tested the system from outlet point at pump to fuel rail connection. Air tight up to 130 psi which is as high as my garage compressor goes. It ain't gonna leak. Highest fuel pressure for most of us trail riders is about 65 psi.

What did they record for flow rate?

Did you use Octane Booster in your fuel?
Reason I ask? I noticed on past turbo sled that the color of my spark plugs along with the amount of off color burnt residue on them, had me believing that the Octane Booster does contaminate fuel a bit.

Have read some very interesting comments concerning Octane Boosters on this forum a short while ago, explaining why some are better then others.

Going off Original post for fuel filter I made a change on location but still used 10 micron filter same brand..
The 2022 sled I did this on has a hard plastic like fuel line.. You have to replace entire fuel line and cut off the fittings on each end..
I used Gates Barricade working pressure: 225 psi.. Fuel injectors are maxed out in colder temps on tunes.. This should help keep them nice and clean and flowing correctly.. Thanks Turboflash for post and help with fuel filter part number.. Filter1.jpgFilter 2.jpgFilter 3.jpgFilter 4.jpg

5/16XRL FUEL LINE 225 BARRICADE​

Product # 42195652

Looks good!! I just did another TCat with dirty injectors. Getting them cleaned restored flow. With this filter setup they will stay pristine and clean!

Just a little more FYI- as mentioned in this thread, it is true that these stock injectors do have an inlet screen filter that is replaceable and maybe theoretically cleanable. The point my injector cleaning company made was what they typically see is the filter itself gets plugged with contamination and thereby limits the fuel flow past it which of course then limits what the injector dispenses when it pulses. Don't know if anyone has looked very closely at these injectors. (I have using a magnifying lens). I did try to pull out one of the inlet screens but couldn't. I couldn't figure out how to grasp it good enough to pull it out. I think they are pressed in. There is nothing on the outside to grab so I think you'd have to go inside with something (dental pick or similar) to try to pierce through the screen and hook it then pull/force it out. Part of getting the injectors cleaned at the cleaning company included replacement of the inlet filters. Whole injector is ultrasonically cleaned inside and out, then reassembled, then flowed and tested.

Back