• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Adjusting rear end suspension for a bit more load carrying

Kascade

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper MTX 162 SE
2016 Cat M8000 162 Ltd
As I've been using my sled a lot to carry skis and, in one case, overnight gear, I'm looking for a quick way to adjust the rear end a bit stiffer /higher riding when i'm carrying extra weight. It seems to sag a bit more than I would think it should. Are there adjustments I can make short of actually replacing springs or other components? I added some pressure to the rear shock but that doesn't seem to do a whole lot. Would adjusting the spring tension on the front skid frame arm shock accomplish this? Just trying to get some direction before I start in hard with trial and error.

thanks!

Sorry for the self-bump, but anybody have thoughts on this, or will I need to get a stiffer rear spring?

If you have a Float (air shock) on the rear, normally just adding air pressure will do the trick. It's what I have done in the past when riding two up. If your rear shock has a spring, you can increase the spring preload.
The front skid shock doesn't make a huge difference in load carrying capacity. It's main function is control weight transfer and has an effect on ski pressure as well.

It's a float shock. I bumped up the pressure and it still seems to sit quite low when carrying a bit of extra load. I'll try adding some more.

It's a float shock. I bumped up the pressure and it still seems to sit quite low when carrying a bit of extra load. I'll try adding some more.
Maybe your shock needs a rebuild if it is not changing stiffness with added pressure.

Maybe your shock needs a rebuild if it is not changing stiffness with added pressure.
Turns out shock was fine, the pump just had something stuck in it so it was leaking pressure back out. Fixed it and stiffens up nicely now.

Back