• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Advice of mods and who to buy from

MDGFLHR

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Apex SE
Looking at doing one of the performance tunes out there. Would also like a CAI and a performance muffler. As far as muffler it need a to be near stock levels and possible looks cause the wardens in Maine are real pricks when it comes to exhaust. I like a nice rumble tone I have 2 Harleys but nothing loud to bring unwanted attention. As far as performance I'd like in the 250 to 270 hp range. I'd also like to know about reliability what are the chances of a meltdown with any of these aftermarket tunes? Thanks and can't wait for snow to hit here in Maine.

Hurricane Performance can help you out and is my choice for SideWinder performance shop.

He's just posted his 2.5" baffled stock style-replacement hi-flow aftermarket muffler on TY just a few posts down, and you can chose a host of tunes or you can bundle them all with the Hurricane flash tuner and pick anyone anytime.

I'd recommend the 270 or 270 Race tune if your just going to pick just one tune. The Race tune will bring the boost on quicker. I plan to run the 270 Race and the 280 Race tune most all of the time myself.

https://www.hurricaneperformance.ca...nce/sidewinder-thundercat-power-and-products/

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/the-new-hurricane-trail-muffler.149697/#post-1382569

Last edited:
Turbo dynamics is my vote I’ve been running max pump17 and loving it the stock mod muffler is the quietest but the superquiet sounds like just what your looking for you can put your stock wrap around it for a stock look but still get that rumble your looking for while remaining quiet.

Had a discussion today with my dealer, and they really like the Excell kit since it can be turned up and down. 250+ hp all the time can be a handful at times. If you go with a tune, its a fixed setting and you always have to be riding with your "A" game. Get careless or sloppy in a bumpy corner with the throttle and you could be in the woods before you even know what happened! Ha

I have been thinking of the Excell kit also. I like that it leaves the factory ECU alone. It also doesn't exceed factory max boost recommendations.You can also remove and sell it off after a couple of years if you trade and recoup some of you money.

Had a discussion today with my dealer, and they really like the Excell kit since it can be turned up and down. 250+ hp all the time can be a handful at times. If you go with a tune, its a fixed setting and you always have to be riding with your "A" game. Get careless or sloppy in a bumpy corner with the throttle and you could be in the woods before you even know what happened! Ha

Maybe I'm just used to riding at 250+ hp for the last 6 years....but not once have I ever said to myself in my helmet..."damn I wish I could turn down the boost"

Maybe I'm just used to riding at 250+ hp for the last 6 years....but not once have I ever said to myself in my helmet..."damn I wish I could turn down the boost"

Sure the thrill would make it tough to want turn it down. I am just saying there are circumstances when it would be nice and smart to turn it down. I ride tight and twisty trails in the woods. At the end of a 250 mile day I am tired and not as sharp as I was when I left in the morning. To me it just makes sense to be able to tone it down a notch to finish the ride.

Sure the thrill would make it tough to want turn it down. I am just saying there are circumstances when it would be nice and smart to turn it down. I ride tight and twisty trails in the woods. At the end of a 250 mile day I am tired and not as sharp as I was when I left in the morning. To me it just makes sense to be able to tone it down a notch to finish the ride.

Different opinions make the world go round...I turn it down a notch with the amount of force my thumb uses. However if I ever felt the need...I would just flash another map into my ecu...but I don't see that happening

Many reason not to use a piggyback IMO you want all the safety factors, and this year will also bring knock detection. Any piggyback system is old school compared to an ECU tune. I would not put my 16k sled at risk with a piggyback, no way.

If you want multiple HP maps, you buy the flasher and get all the maps, App on iPhone lets you load any map in 38 seconds via Bluetooth. This is the new tech vs Old tech. And from what I recalls seeing that setup costs more too.

With the flasher you can install STOCK map back at anytime too.

Dan

Many reason not to use a piggyback IMO you want all the safety factors, and this year will also bring knock detection. Any piggyback system is old school compared to an ECU tune. I would not put my 16k sled at risk with a piggyback, no way.

If you want multiple HP maps, you buy the flasher and get all the maps, App on iPhone lets you load any map in 38 seconds via Bluetooth. This is the new tech vs Old tech. And from what I recalls seeing that setup costs more too.

With the flasher you can install STOCK map back at anytime too.

Dan
I'm with Saber and Dan on this, but each to their own. For me personally, the only time I'd dial it down was if I was running a high octane race map and was later going on a long trail ride. But on a pump gas tune like PowerTrail I'll just stay out of the throttle if I get a bad batch or low octane gas. You can do SO much more in the ECU itself than with just a piggyback that (to me) it's not even a contest.

Not this again..........................

Ias to the debate..I believe I am the only one here with the unique experience of running the Excell kit...and previously TD tunes.......if one doesnt feel like flashing for whatever their reason...the Excell stuff ...and the management is awesome ...and yes I highly recommend....for those looking for more power...I feel with the decade long track record...thousands of flashes out there and the inventor of the knock light...TD is the only choice...but that's me... I do believe the friendly competition is good for all of us though so thanks to the competitors...

Back