• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

AEM TRU-BOOST - setting the Spring Pressure (SPR)

tonykof

Expert
I have a AEM Tru boost electronic controller. I'm still a little confused on the setting for the spring pressure, the way I understand, it used to be called the spring crack pressure.. rumor has it this can be a tricky setting..

The default setting is 2, in the book it suggests a conservitive setting of 5.
I have mine set up at 1.. (my Waste gate rod is set about 7 lbs)
Would my goal be to set it as high as I could with out getting spikes? possibly a 5.5 to 6.5? to 7?? Would that make for quicker spool up?
Anyone willing to share they're SPR setup??
thanks
Tony

ps The controller seems to work very well, I'm just a confused on this one setting - at present setting of 1 I have no spike at all..

tonykof said:
I have a AEM Tru boost electronic controller. I'm still a little confused on the setting for the spring pressure, the way I understand, it used to be called the spring crack pressure.. rumor has it this can be a tricky setting..

Would my goal be to set it as high as I could with out getting spikes? possibly a 5.5 to 6.5? to 7?? Would that make for quicker spool up?
thanks
Tony

ps The controller seems to work very well, I'm just a confused on this one setting - at present setting of 1 I have no spike at all..

Set it up at 7 if it fluctuates then go down .5 or so

Ted Jannetty said:
tonykof said:

thanks
Tony

Thanks Ted, I was hoping you'd advise.
In regards to it being as close as possible to the rod setting would this, (at least in theory) spool it up quicker?
Thanks again
Tony

tonykof said:
Ted Jannetty said:
tonykof said:

thanks
Tony

Thanks Ted, I was hoping you'd advise.
In regards to it being as close as possible to the rod setting would this, (at least in theory) spool it up quicker?
Thanks again
Tony

That is correct.

For initial testing I left my manual boost gauge hooked up. They were very very close..

Takes a little playing around to get the boost set where you want since you enter a % of duty cycle instead of just entering the actual boost you want to run. Not a big deal.

One potential problem could be that they are not sealed up very well on the lens where the button assembly comes though, if exposed to direct moisture they will probably leak. I do believe it could be sealed up pretty easy though..

With that said, I haven't had any problems with mine leaking..

Thanks for the input Ted!

Right on, a little more info I missed out on.. I had asked this question before but didn't get what I was looking for. So for the spring tention should be set as close as possible to what your gate is set at. is this right?.. I have mine set for 6-6.5lbs.(on the rod) do you get a steady lbs ready?.. mine will go up n down 6-6.6 I think my spring setting is set for 1 or 2?.. I will have to check that. Thanks again Ted

You will want to set your spring pressure or crack to about 1/3 of gate pressure, or you will get quite a bit of spike.My gate is set at 8 and when I set my spring setting at 8 I see boost spikes around 17. trev

machz69 said:
Right on, a little more info I missed out on.. I had asked this question before but didn't get what I was looking for. So for the spring tention should be set as close as possible to what your gate is set at. is this right?.. I have mine set for 6-6.5lbs.(on the rod) do you get a steady lbs ready?.. mine will go up n down 6-6.6 I think my spring setting is set for 1 or 2?.. I will have to check that. Thanks again Ted

A little more info for you guys to chew on.

The SP setting is where the boost control solinoid will start working.

So if you have it set too low the turbo spools slow because the wastegate will start to open at your gate pressure.

If you have it set too high it will over shoot and oscilate and won't stabilize.

The boost controller uses this setting so that it can determine where to start bleeding the boost signal that would otherwise go directly to the waste gate and open it.

Hope this helps.

lol.. ok so we are saying?.. If my rod is set for 6 - 6.5 lbs what should I set my AEM at?..

Is 6-6.5lbs too low?.. I was thinking that if I had to run shitty gas (out back) I could shut the controller off and run at about 6lbs. would it be better at 7lbs?

are you guys getting and steady reading for lbs?.. like do you seei t build up to 8lbs and stay right on 8 or does it go 8.1,8.2,7.9,8 ect...?

noszed said:
You will want to set your spring pressure or crack to about 1/3 of gate pressure, or you will get quite a bit of spike.My gate is set at 8 and when I set my spring setting at 8 I see boost spikes around 17. trev
So what are you set at now?.. 2.4?

noszed said:

That is because you wastegate is actually starting to open earlier than you think, it holds 8 psi but probably starts to open aroun 4-5 psi.

As I said too high and it will fluctuate and won't stabilize.

Ted.

machz69 said:
lol.. ok so we are saying?.. If my rod is set for 6 - 6.5 lbs what should I set my AEM at?..

Is 6-6.5lbs too low?.. I was thinking that if I had to run shitty gas (out back) I could shut the controller off and run at about 6lbs. would it be better at 7lbs?

are you guys getting and steady reading for lbs?.. like do you seei t build up to 8lbs and stay right on 8 or does it go 8.1,8.2,7.9,8 ect...?

If set properly you will see a steady boost pressure.

When set at around 2.5 to 2.9 ,It spools to 9.5 pounds in less than about 10 feet. With the same setting and duty at 29 I see 13 pounds in the same distance. If i turn it down to 1 to 1.5, I see low boost at partial throttle on the trails. Any higher than about 2 it runs in vaccum till I open it up.With this setup i am using very little fuel.This is with a rear mount 16t.

Back