• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Aftermarket Ski Recommendations

engineman

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Apex LTX, 2010 Vector LTX GT, 1996 Indy 500 SKS
Hello All,

I am a big boy (320lb in gear) on a 2009 Apex LTX. I presently have stock ski's with someone's dual rail runners(were on the sled when I purchased it). I have a big boy spring in the back and just had the rear shock revalved at Pioneer for my spring/weight. My riding is spirited trail with very occassional off trail but no deep stuff - the apex tends to dive and I really hate digging this rather heavy sled out once stuck.

I spent time last year adjusting the xfer rod to to help it rail around groomed trail corners and was pretty successful. I even reached a point in the xfer rod adjustment that the back end of the sled got tail happy so I know I went too far - at least that is my thinking. Backed the xfer off a bit and the sled worked very well - also with no darting.

The sled has two issues I would like to address without losing the groomed trail feeling I have now: Deeper snow floatation and snow covered trail cornering (4"-6" of snow on a groomed firmed up trail). When on the snow covered trail I want to get rid of the front end push and off trial I would like to get more floatation so when I get off trail I don't dive to bottom.

I searched this and other sections of the TY site and got some info but I thought you "people in the know" could easily steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Steve

Best combo I've ridden thus far has been snowtrackers on stock skis. I've heard great things about snowtrackers on the apex MTX skis (same corner bite, with added flotation) and I may try that next on my machine. So far on mine I've tried stock skis, stock with snowtrackers, USI X2 with shaper bars, USI X2 with deuce bars. USI X2's are great skis, but with just the shapers I can't get rid of a slight darting (once you have had snowtrackers, you'll never be satisfied again unless you have zero trace of darting) and with the deuce bars I have a slight push.

Zapex2, any complaints you have running that setup?

No complaints at all, I have the semi aggressive on an Apex with a 144 zx2 skid. I do get a little push in mushy corners but to be expected a bit with the longer track. There is zero darting and I can seriously drive at any speed with one hand. Its really like power steering, I don't know why but it is. They are a little spendy though.

No complaints at all, I have the semi aggressive on an Apex with a 144 zx2 skid. I do get a little push in mushy corners but to be expected a bit with the longer track. There is zero darting and I can seriously drive at any speed with one hand. Its really like power steering, I don't know why but it is. They are a little spendy though.

Hmmmm - Mountain skis can be had new for less than $100 each and snowtracker pair is $219-$249 and I could use all the HW from the stock skis, have no darting and easy turning..... Right in line with an aftermarket ski setup with dual runners - perhap cheaper depending on what one gets.

ZapeX2 - How does this combination work on a 4"-6" snow covered groomed trail? I can probably assume the off trail is pretty good with the added width. How wide are the mountain skis?

Thanks to all for the replies thus far......:rocks:

Steve

The only thing I would complain about would be when it gets real soft slushy snow. Also I don't find they bite super well on pavement, others say they steer well on asphalt, I don't find that at all. The mountain skis are around 7" wide. Good flotation.

The only thing I would complain about would be when it gets real soft slushy snow. Also I don't find they bite super well on pavement, others say they steer well on asphalt, I don't find that at all. The mountain skis are around 7" wide. Good flotation.

Thank you Sir!!

I'd venture to say you would have less push if you had the aggressive snowtrackers. That is what I had before I got the USI's (albeit with stock skis) and found it didn't push at all regardless of conditions. This is what I want to try next - aggressive snowtrackers with mountain skis.

Been using the Yamaha Mtn ski with aggressive Snotrackers for the past 3 seasons. Excellent in the trails and float fairly well in the powder.
No darting and easy on the shoulders after a 300+ mile day.

Thanks All !! - It really is looking like the Yamaha Mtn. skis and the agressive Snowtrackers will be a good solution for me. It is always nice to have REAL feedback before making a purchase.

Best regards,

Steve

Back