• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Airbox mod question...

SHARPMACHINE

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 RTX Viper SR
11 XRS 600
I was planning on trying to do the airbox mod before next season. Recently seen where someone said it may not be worth doing? Was hoping maybe a few people could chime in whether it is worth it etc..

Current sled is a 2014 rtx that will mostly stay stock.

My main reason for doing it was the originally claimed ~7 hp for just some time. It would also give me a good chance to check the steering nut out that is known to loosen up. I want to put some loc-tite on it.

Thanks

I was skeptical at first, but did it anyways, it’s free! I was pleasantly surprised, like cannondale said, it definitely woke it up, noticeably. I rode my sled around the yard on 3” of snow, then did the mod and rode it again. Very noticeable difference in midrange ‘punch.’

About time to get after this mod. I imagine I will need to adjust he clutch afterwards. The previous owner installed an ulmer clutch kit. Can I find tuning instructions online for that kit? Would be nice to print them out and put them in my file.

Thanks

About time to get after this mod. I imagine I will need to adjust he clutch afterwards. The previous owner installed an ulmer clutch kit. Can I find tuning instructions online for that kit? Would be nice to print them out and put them in my file.

Thanks
You might not have to adjust clutching since most gain is mid range and not top end. All depends how close to 9100rpm you are now.

If you do need to adjust clutching there is a thread in FAQ that has some setups using the Ulmer kit. That said there is a lot of different versions of the kit out there. Ulmer would be best to help you. He will want to know what secondary spring and Helix you have. Belt used. Machining done. And what washers and weight you have in what position and what you have left in your kit to add.

connondale… can you make it clear which version of this mod ? I have read and seen so many researching this.

One I tried was latest version. Never heard of more than 2. Stingray airbox mod.
Ok . I was base it on
One I tried was latest version. Never heard of more than 2. Stingray airbox mod.
I was referring to ALL air box mods.... offered buy TY info as well as aftermarket company's Excell, Ulmer, Shmidt bros. Just wondering that's all.

Ok . I was base it on

I was referring to ALL air box mods.... offered buy TY info as well as aftermarket company's Excell, Ulmer, Shmidt bros. Just wondering that's all.
Oh. I did a comparison between Excell and Stingrays Airbox mod. I could not tell a difference between the two. I kept my Excell kit in to this day because it has cooler intake temps and should make more power because of that but to be honest I have not felt that or seen it in rpm. So bang for buck the Stingray airbox mod wins.

Back