• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

All The Yamaha's Wouldn't Start

lakercr said:
If you plan to ride again in these kind of temps, I'd suggest:

- Install block heater ($30, & 45 minutes to install)
- Synthetic oil

If you saw how small some of the oil passages are on this engine, (and how tight the engine tolerances are) you'd probably be avoiding the cold starts as described...
theres lots of stuff going on in are motors,and when its really cold its really STIFF! ski-doos don't have much going on in there.a block heater like you suggested would help the issue.loosen it up a little.

Where do you get a block heater? Where does it go? Anyone have one installed and does it work? Why do I ask so many questions?

I would say in our entire trip, 1030 miles, we probably passed 10 sleds!

Couple of years ago we were saddlebagging up in Lac St Jean with three Apex GTs in our group of 8. A few nights were -40 or colder and none of us had problems starting. The next year mine wouldn't start on two mornings due to a frozen relay after much warmer nights.

Try using Mobil 1 0-20 synthetic. It pours much better than the yamaha 0-30 semisyn oil at -30 and below. Your starter will spin way faster on those cold mornings.

lakercr said:
If you plan to ride again in these kind of temps, I'd suggest:

- Install block heater ($30, & 45 minutes to install)
- Synthetic oil

I agree but where do you plug it in, some of these resort barely have enough HYDRO to run their own facilites and their parking lots have no HYDRO available... :o|

I had mine start as low as -38c I always add SEAFOAM in every tank...

It ain't pretty but if it won't start you can pour a jug of hot water over the engine. It will do the trick but the water will freeze where it lands away from the engine so make sure your TORS is working. I had to do that once at -40 to get started.

Learned it from a buddy who rode a T-Cat for years. Those things would never start anywhere below about -10. A jug of hot water over the engine and presto would fire right up.

We had below zero all week with -30's in the morning.I tryed starting the Apex Fri when it warmed up to -20 and it turned over real slow but didn't start. I waited a half hour and tryed it once more before jumping it and it started. The E-Tec sounds impressive but I want to here about it in a couple years with some miles on and not blowing up by then, then I'll be more impressed. Its still a 2-sroke using very little oil so I have to see proof.I had a 440 MXZ that used oil and blew completely apart and I'm not picking on Ski-Doos cause they have many nice features but I am more than happy with My Apex.

Budweiser said:
Where do you get a block heater? Where does it go? !
The option would be look for heater, one that fits in the coolant hose.
We used stone age tank heaters in the 60's in vehicles.

But at 40 below, 4 strokes regardless the vehicle, diesel or gas, truck, car, etc are 50 more parts glued to the surface that is now frozen tighter than it was earlier, and half a battery potential.

I'm surprised they got them going at all.
I would have gone out every 3 hours to start them until the running boards were hot.
I'd also have headlight master switch to leave them and the heated grips off to dedicate battery gets the hottest charge load possible.

150 amp alternators like our cars and trucks would be nice.

No semi is sitting overnight not plugged in below 10 degrees.
Or mail tomorrow will be delayed.

2 Stroke, you basically have one major moving part, piston.

A 2 man tent with propane lamp works wonders.
Or you have the women drive the support vehicle (motorhome) with trailer.

-40, and I'd have to be on a serious one-way mission.
A heart transplant, or beer.

SNOWDOG says his automatic starter can be programed to start the engine at a designated temperature and run the machine for 15 min and then turn it off again until the autostart temperature is met. That way the machine continually keeps itself warm and problems with cold starts can be a thing of the past.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

The people on this site on so ingenious!!!! :Rockon:

The battery is too small to turn the big motor in them temps.We boosted and towed a lot of vehicles this week in -35-36c that wern't plugged in.I sold them HD batteries and their problem was solved.The fuel pump puts fuel in the cylinders but the engine has to crank fast or it will flood!!! :4STroke:

The Snow D.O. said:
SNOWDOG says his automatic starter can be programed to start the engine at a designated temperature and run the machine for 15 min and then turn it off again until the autostart temperature is met. That way the machine continually keeps itself warm and problems with cold starts can be a thing of the past.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

The people on this site on so ingenious!!!! :Rockon:

Yes...1,2 or 3 hour selectible remote start with 5,10 or 15 minute run times. Or tempature start by setting unit to start at your selectible tempature down to -40C or -40F. (Selectible C or F ranges)
And unit will run for your selected 5,10 or 15 minute run time. Once were ready to roll, we will be advertising on the site with a link to the site to order. Sorry we are missing so much of the season, but I want these right!!!
SD

-40 is pretty extreme...

but when you're in a trip, you can't change it, so you gotta start.

Sometimes, the Electronic relays are frozen, but mostly if the sled goes from indoor to outdoor then freezes, it's more a question of humidity than temperature...

BUT, i must admit it looks bad if all BRP started and not any Yamahas...

DAm
I'm leaving next week for the north...i will probably go down to -40 at night..

Hope it will be ok..

:die

i live in there quebec and -40 cel or far is cold but like i said an other post ,,,i am not outside yet when mine is starting up to be warm when i get to it,,,and i am off before the doo`s even find the starter,,,,i have a remote starter with a timer to keep it warm all night ,,,,real masse here i come;;bye folks yammis

Back